Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cutting stock springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 03:42 PM
marksexton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting stock springs

I'm interested in dropping my GS300 about an inch till I can get coilovers and I'm not gonna spend $250 on lowering springs just to turn around and buy coilovers later.

I'd like to know for those that have done this how much you cut to achieve 1-1.5" drop?

I don't really want to hear all the crap about how harsh the ride is and how it's ghetto to have cut springs, because we've been doing it on Mustangs for years without any issues.

thanks

Mark
Old 03-14-07, 04:10 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I'm sorry,i cant help you here .

Originally Posted by marksexton
Mustangs.
Case closed .
Old 03-14-07, 04:28 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Mark, as an alternative how about searching (or posting a WTB) in the classifieds for a set of used lowering springs. Those going to coilovers will have them to sell, as will other members selling their cars. It's most certainly a safer alternative to what you are proposing.

I also ask you to listen to the contrary advice you'll get with an open mind... just because the Mustang guys found it acceptible doesn't mean that its the best solution. You might want to try using the search feature of the forum to check the GS forum (and child forums) for previous posts on this exact same topic.
Old 03-14-07, 04:49 PM
marksexton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Mark, as an alternative how about searching (or posting a WTB) in the classifieds for a set of used lowering springs. Those going to coilovers will have them to sell, as will other members selling their cars. It's most certainly a safer alternative to what you are proposing.

I also ask you to listen to the contrary advice you'll get with an open mind... just because the Mustang guys found it acceptible doesn't mean that its the best solution. You might want to try using the search feature of the forum to check the GS forum (and child forums) for previous posts on this exact same topic.
Thanks, I search for "cut*springs" in the GS forum and it came up with nothing, the only threads I found were for the SC's. Got a link?
Old 03-14-07, 04:55 PM
marksexton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJ
I'm sorry,i cant help you here .

Case closed .
Yeah, here's my junk Cobra with cut springs...

Old 03-14-07, 05:21 PM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Nice Cobra. I wouldn't worry about what people thought more than the safety of cutting springs. From everything I've read it's not recommended due to weakening of the spring leading to the coil be severed, or less compression leading to loss of control.
Old 03-14-07, 05:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

susposedly cutting the spring makes your car bounce more since the spring rate reduces and the shocks are not compatible with the light spring rate/height.

But this is a Lexus we're talking about. It's already bouncy as it is

Sorry, I dont know how much spring to cut. Never pondered about that idea before.
Old 03-14-07, 05:36 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

cut stock springs? I will remind you again...its a Lexus GS.
Old 03-14-07, 05:44 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

even the civic drivers in high school were smart enough to buy some springs. pay a little more for coilovers or don't do it at all. a GS deserves better, don't you think?
Old 03-14-07, 05:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Thanks, I search for "cut*springs" in the GS forum and it came up with nothing, the only threads I found were for the SC's. Got a link?
No time right now to do a detailed dig for you, but I'll tell you your search above won't work because 'cut' is only three characters, I suggest searching for 'cutting springs' in the 2GS forums (may want to try other similar keywords).

edit here's one I found by searching for keyword 'bouncing'
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=bouncing

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-14-07 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-14-07, 06:04 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

dont cut your stocks. back in the day, my friends and i used to cut honda/acura stocks just to lower the cars until the owners got aftermarket springs. key point, be patient and wait to get your coilovers. just my 0.02
Old 03-14-07, 07:31 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just wait until you have the money to get coilovers as I was a honda/acura driver and wanted to drop it and all of my old school friends were cutting springs, but it's just a piece of mind to jsut buy springs or just save up for the real deal... There's a GB for Teins right now...
Old 03-14-07, 10:23 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why chop them, when you can remove them. =)
Old 03-15-07, 12:28 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, here's my junk Cobra with cut springs...

So because your car looks cool sitting still that means it's a good idea to cut your springs? Lol...

I don't know what you expected by posting that, even if you go on a lowly Honda forum (j/k guys )they are going to flame you for cutting your springs. I guess it's not saying much when everyone else has figured out cutting springs is not the way to go except for the Mustang boards, lol..

There is a reason millions of dollars go into R&D testing on suspension for your $40,000 car. Why would you buy a car like a Lexus and then skimp on something as important as suspension over $150

Ultimatly it's your car and your money and your ride quality. Just do me a favor, when you go bouncing down the road in your Lexus along next to a kid 17yr old in his $1500 Civic give him thumbs up for me.

All in all not being a jerk, but please don't cut your springs. You are driving a Lexus NOT a Mustang.

BTW- Here is a link to a guy selling quality springs that give a 1.25" drop for $160 shipped
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=270017
Old 03-15-07, 08:06 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm interested in dropping my GS300 about an inch till I can get coilovers and I'm not gonna spend $250 on lowering springs just to turn around and buy coilovers later.

I'd like to know for those that have done this how much you cut to achieve 1-1.5" drop?

I don't really want to hear all the crap about how harsh the ride is and how it's ghetto to have cut springs, because we've been doing it on Mustangs for years without any issues.

thanks

Mark
Spend the money on springs and then sell them when you're ready for your coilovers and post a link to this thread in your ad so the spring buyers will know you've only had them on for a couple of months. There will always be someone looking for springs.

Quick Reply: Cutting stock springs