Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TRD Lower Suspension Brace and Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-01, 09:04 PM
Litespeeds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRD Lower Suspension Brace and Strut Brace

Is this TRD lower suspension brace and/or TRD strut brace worth getting? For those who have installed it, can you please give me your review? Can you notice any improvements in handling. Thank you for your replies.
Old 11-13-01, 12:38 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

I originally had only L-Tuned shocks, springs and steering ECU on my 2001 GS430 with Lowenhart BR-5 18x8.5 245/40R18 SO3 (F) and 18x9.5 275/35R18 SO3 (R) rims/tires. There is a particular steep uphill climb with a small bump at the middle that when I drive at about 65+ mph as I hit this bump on one side my GS would have a unsettling feeling on the landing and by GS would roll left to right a bit. It feels as if GS would like to go a little side way. When I pick up the TRD STB and Lower Chassis Brace from Steve Ganz I notice that the problem no longer exist. My hood seems a bit flatter on a irregular bump on one of the front wheels only (now the L-Tuned spring and shock are doing the job of absorbing the irregularities instead of the flexing of the car body). Also, on tight circle turns the front is also flatter. The car still leans but less. If I had gotten the TRD anti-sway bars I think it would be even better improvement but I did not want to sacrifice my current ride comfort. I am now thinking about getting a rear STB and a front STB that would fit a GS430 engine cover (currently running without the cover).

Chu...
Old 11-13-01, 07:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

STB will be more noticeable (tightening of ride, not harsher, just less flex) than LCB, since there's already a LCB on the car. I just got it because I figured might as well do the whole enchilada.
Old 11-13-01, 09:11 PM
RacingAristo

lower chassis brace doesn't really do much as Bit mentioned you already have a LCB in your car. STB could be good but as I always tell people, when you strengthen the front, you better strengthen the back too. (rear tower bar)
Old 11-14-01, 03:21 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Chu, who makes a front STB that'll fit the 430 w/o taking engine cover off??? My GS really wants one for Christmas....
Old 11-14-01, 03:51 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi MooreTorque:

One of the ClubLexus member "V300" said a C-one STB fits a GS430 with the engine cover on. The problem was the C-one STB is a bit pricey (about $400 - too much for a part that rarely is seen and the current TRD is doing just fine). I only paid $180 for the TRD STB. I was going to wait and see if other vendors or even TRD will be releasing one that would fit a GS430 with the engine cover. I am sure there will be it just take a bit longer as it has been only 1 year since the release of the GS430.

Chu...
Old 11-14-01, 09:26 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

I currently have the Ltuned spring/shock with TRD F+R sways, running on stock 16's, soon to be 18's. I am already very happy with the ride quality, no more floaty feeling, and i can feel more control of the car when going above 90 (rarely ofcourse ). When I first had the install, the ride quality was stiffen up quite a bit, I can feel the road much more, but compare to losing control of the car at high speed, there is no comparison.

I am wondering, do you guys recommend gettting F+R STB also? how much more help would that do for the handling? How about ride quality?

Last edited by lex430; 11-14-01 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-14-01, 10:40 AM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hey, Lex 430

Lex430,

Did you do the L-tuned and the sways at the same time or separately?

Reason I'm asking is I have the L-tuned and steering ECU and I'm considering the TRD sways. I'm just trying to gauge the handling improvement vs. less ride comfort tradeoff if I add the sways.

Thanks for any comments.
Old 11-14-01, 12:15 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Default Re: Hey, Lex 430

Originally posted by duster
Lex430,

Reason I'm asking is I have the L-tuned and steering ECU and I'm considering the TRD sways. I'm just trying to gauge the handling improvement vs. less ride comfort tradeoff if I add the sways.

Thanks for any comments.

I did the altogether, I thought about doing it separately so I can tell how much difference between each item, but cost/time saving wise, it was alot easier to do it together. So, the improvement from stock was dramatic for me. I like it alot. But I wonder how much more improvement I would get if I get STB now,
Old 11-14-01, 04:39 PM
RacingAristo

TRD will not have the STB for GS430 because in Japan, they only have S300/V300. Same thing with TOM'S ECU, they will not have one for GS400/430 simply because they don't have that in Japan. Perhaps L-tuned might develop a true ECU (not steering one) or STB, afterall, TRD is for Japan, L-Tuned is for U.S., TTE is for Europe and etc. This has been confirmed by our TRD guru, Steve Ganz.
Old 11-14-01, 04:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Hey, Lex 430

I did them separately. The TRD sways definitely stiffen the ride, making cornering a lot flatter, plus making the ride a bit more jiggly over bumps, so in my opinion there's MORE trade-off of ride comfort vs. handling than just the L-Tuned springs/shocks.

Duster - don't know where you are, but maybe you can find someone with sways to take you for a ride.
Old 11-14-01, 04:45 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

ChuH, read about C-one. Like you, I have been waiting for other vendors (incl TRD) and thought, with your post, that there might be another. The C is pricey, but considering that I'll likely be keeping this car for as long as my last SC (almost 8 yrs), it amortizes ok. Still, rather have it cheaper if I could. Thanks for your rapid response.

lex430, STBs won't affect ride quality noticeably. Turn in should be a bit sharper, since less of the force applied to change direction will be lost to chassis flex. Cornering over bumps, esp. those that just affect one side, should be more stable also. And (at least with time), maybe less squeaks/rattles since the "chassis" is actually more or less a unibody with components attached to it. The big components (suspension, motor, etc) won't really loosen, but all that interior stuff will. And you'll be stunned how much difference the 18s will make over the 16s (considering the difference between the 16s and 17s is already considerable)!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-01, 08:00 PM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lex430 & Bit,

Thanks for the responses.

I live in the Los Angeles area...Pasadena to be more exact.

I'm not sure what else I want to do on the suspension.

Get this...my wife loves the Ltuned shocks and springs because she says when she is a passenger and I take a corner a little quicky, she no longer gets bounced around in the seat due to the body roll. So this along with how much I like the firmer ride gave me the green light to consider more suspension goodies.

I'll have to re-read old suspension related posts now that I am more interested in this type of upgrade. Bit..I hope you get the VSC issue cleared up !!
Old 11-15-01, 08:44 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the setup. My car handles much better. I will recommend it 100%.

Mark
Old 11-15-01, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Lex430 Bit..I hope you get the VSC issue cleared up !!
Thanks Duster - now I've got some good insight from Mark and pkeat I should be able to get it solved this time.

Quick Reply: TRD Lower Suspension Brace and Strut Brace