Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Busted Upper Suspension Arm???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 09:32 AM
CPALex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Busted Upper Suspension Arm???

I just installed my new struts/shocks (or whatever you want to call them) on my 98 GS400. As I tried to reconnect the upper suspension arm to the steering knuckle I couldn't get the nut to tighten on the bolt on the upper suspension arm. For some reason the bolt itself turns as I'm trying to put the nut on it. The top of the bolt is not where I can put a wrench on it to stop it from turning. Has anyone else had this problem? Does it sound like I need a new upper suspension arm? I'm not excited about forking out $400 for a new one. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-07, 09:35 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I think your upper ball joint (the knuckle part) is broken. It's suppose to be like the lower ball joint where there should be no play involve as far as when you're tightenting the nut.

HOPEFULLY someone will correct me to give you some hope
Old 02-05-07, 10:10 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I had that same problem. No there's nothing wrong with it. It's a ball joint so obviously it's going to rotate/spin. That specific bolt needs to be held in with pressure so it doesn't spin when you try to tighten it. Wedge something downwards against the arm so the bolt is pressing down against the knuckle firmly. It's a compression kinda bolt so the tighter you make it, the tighter it will lock in place. That's the very reason why you need a pitman puller to remove it in the beginning because it's very tight when fully compressed in the hole.
Old 02-05-07, 10:21 AM
CPALex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I had that same problem. No there's nothing wrong with it. It's a ball joint so obviously it's going to rotate/spin. That specific bolt needs to be held in with pressure so it doesn't spin when you try to tighten it. Wedge something downwards against the arm so the bolt is pressing down against the knuckle firmly. It's a compression kinda bolt so the tighter you make it, the tighter it will lock in place. That's the very reason why you need a pitman puller to remove it in the beginning because it's very tight when fully compressed in the hole.
Of course. That makes complete sense. I was reading your post at the same time I was on the phone with Sewell Lexus - they confirmed what you have told me. This is great news. Thank you!!
Old 02-05-07, 12:43 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can damage the rubber part if you jam something in there. Try tilting it out (lower part), pull on the entire braket, so that the threads have tension from the arm. While it's offcenter, you might be able to get that nut to go on and it will tighten it up. Also do quick bursts with the rachet, like an impact gun type motion.
Old 02-05-07, 05:23 PM
CPALex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by slickgt1
You can damage the rubber part if you jam something in there. Try tilting it out (lower part), pull on the entire braket, so that the threads have tension from the arm. While it's offcenter, you might be able to get that nut to go on and it will tighten it up. Also do quick bursts with the rachet, like an impact gun type motion.
Thanks Slick. That's exactly what Sewell said to do - use an impact gun. So, I will!!
Old 02-06-07, 05:50 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea you basically have to mimic that fast yank, pause, yank pause, motion of the impact gun. If you do that, it could work too. But yes, investing in an impact gun was the best tool I have purchased to date.