Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake System/ABS meltdown!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-07, 05:30 PM
tobygh67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brake System/ABS meltdown!!

So, I've had my GS400 1999 for about 10 months and love it. Has a little over 100K but looks good.

Here's my problem. All of a sudden my ABS motor has started turning on and off intermittently while I'm driving. Especially when it's cold in the morning. Also, these warning lights come on: Brake, VSC, ABS, VSC/off. Also, a very annoying buzzer comes on the entire time I'm driving and sometimes it stops when it gets warm. But most of the time it stays on continuously.

I took it to the dealer and my service guy, whom I don't trust, says we need to replace the entire master cylinder and power brake booster and it'll cost over $2900.

Has anyone ever had this problem? What should I do? At this point any advice would help. Thanks
Old 01-23-07, 05:47 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

yeah tends to happen to 1998-2000 year gs's....at that milage...dealer price is high same quote i got from them...go to a local shop get it done for half the cost got mine replaces for only 1200 bucks...
Old 01-23-07, 06:13 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Same problem, only mine doesn't beep, I kinda knew the brakes felt funny and took it to the dealer. They told me the same thing. I had stored codes in my ecu. I don't drive my car very much (like 2 hours per week) so I haven't really put a lot of effort into finding parts. I can tell u that member aligra, has the complete assembly for a good price. I don't need this right away, otherwise I would of already bought it . I still brake fine, but just not as good as before.
Old 01-23-07, 08:33 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Originally Posted by blaise
Same problem, only mine doesn't beep, I kinda knew the brakes felt funny and took it to the dealer. They told me the same thing. I had stored codes in my ecu. I don't drive my car very much (like 2 hours per week) so I haven't really put a lot of effort into finding parts. I can tell u that member aligra, has the complete assembly for a good price. I don't need this right away, otherwise I would of already bought it . I still brake fine, but just not as good as before.
I have the same problem
Old 01-24-07, 10:29 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok. This may be the same problem that I had, it may be not. But my ABS sensor got dirty. in the front wheels. Don't ask me how or why, but it did. My abs would turn on, and pretty much the same symptoms as you guys. I am thinking freezing condensation. Regardless, take off your front wheels, take the abs sensor out. Get some carb cleaner. Whipe the sensor, then carb clean it, and the hole where you took it out from. That thing is magnetic, and if one voltage does not match the other side precisely, ABS will think one wheel is going slower than the other. Do both sides. I did this last winter, and it has not come back since.

Just make sure it is squeeky clean before you reasemble everything. I think it is one 10mm bolt that holds the sensor in place.
Old 02-01-07, 07:43 PM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ABS Problem

I have had the same problem off and on for a few months. This happened a few weeks after putting on stainless brake lines and all the bleeding process. I figured it was air in the hydraulic brake booster and would eventually vent out. But now I'm thinking to replace the unit. Big bucks unfortunately
Old 02-07-07, 05:39 PM
jld2huva
Driver School Candidate

Default Same thing here...

This same thing happened to me this week. In Chicago temperatures dropped REALLY low (-5 F) and then the strange brake light and buzzing started. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, because I haven't had the time, but I wanted to get an idea of what might be the problem.
Old 02-07-07, 05:57 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

If you hear "babies screaming" from under the hood... then yes it's the master brake cylinder.

I bought one off a 2002 on ebay and had a local shop put it on.. all for about $1000
Old 02-07-07, 07:50 PM
samster
Pole Position

i've also got this problem only thing i really notice is that i hear like a compressor sound coming from mabe the brake booster or somthing?
like once in a while when i apply the brakes i hear it sound like its buildin up pressure or somthing? like buzzzin is that the break booster? and slick ithe wire thats held by the strut? isn't that the speed sensor? is theres another wire? i havn't noticed one and i've been on the suspension alot lately?
Old 02-07-07, 08:33 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Default Re: Hey

Originally Posted by samster
i've also got this problem only thing i really notice is that i hear like a compressor sound coming from mabe the brake booster or somthing?
like once in a while when i apply the brakes i hear it sound like its buildin up pressure or somthing? like buzzzin is that the break booster? and slick ithe wire thats held by the strut? isn't that the speed sensor? is theres another wire? i havn't noticed one and i've been on the suspension alot lately?
That's normal to hear that sound bud
Old 02-07-07, 08:43 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thoughs lights were on in my car so i hooked it up to the computer and it came back drivers abs sensor. changed it now where back in business. Really wish i didnt change it, i liked not having traction control.
Old 02-08-07, 07:29 AM
G4inRich
Rookie

I got a 99' GS400 too with 112,000 mile on it and I have the same problem, your not alone. Mines did the "VSC, ABS Check Engine Light" thing this morning actually. Been turning on like that for a lil while now. pretty annoying ESPECIALLY when your coming to a stop at the light.
Old 02-08-07, 08:16 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ReLexin
thoughs lights were on in my car so i hooked it up to the computer and it came back drivers abs sensor. changed it now where back in business. Really wish i didnt change it, i liked not having traction control.
Hey, the VSC off button completely turns off the traction control, but then again mine is an 05' model so I can't say that with certainty for your car. I can get my car going fully sideways and do donuts and it will never beep at me. Also, if I'm not careful...it's pretty easy to spin out. Is the traction control systems on the other year GS's different?
Old 02-08-07, 08:36 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

my 01 allows me to peel out w vsc off.. dounuts too..
Old 10-29-07, 10:04 AM
ocean350
Driver

Default break booster is broken

99 gs400 with 10300 miles on it.
i got 3 lights-on...
VSC, ABS, VSC off
the dealer said the break booster is broken and the parts will cost me ~1800
sigh.....

Quick Reply: Brake System/ABS meltdown!!