Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Lines Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-01, 04:32 PM
sTWO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lines Question

Anyone who can help me with this one, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I had Rod Millen Stainless Steel brake lines installed on my '99 GS 400 recently from a reputable mechanic shop (maybe an oxymoron). Soon afterward, I've been experiencing a loud scratching sound coming from underneath my car when turning the wheel all the way to the right.

I took the car in to Lexus of New Orleans and they told me that the Rod Millen Stainless Steel brake lines are simply "too long" and the noise I'm hearing is them brushing up against the wheel once I turn all the way to the right.

The logic of this argument makes sense to me, however would RMM not have the hindsight to see that this problem would occur? Or is there maybe something else behind it, such as the installation job?

I'm considering switching back to the factory brake lines as I really haven't felt any difference with the stainless steel ones anyhow.

Any help or insight will help. Thanks,
Old 11-01-01, 04:41 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sTWO,

Is there anyway for you to shorten these lines?

Do you have a picture of the brake lines?

By the way fellow Club Lexus addicts, what is so special about these brakes lines?

If anyone can provide a pressure/ temperature specification along with type of end fitting (and length), I'm sure i can get people that are interested a very good price on probably the exact same part. People that sell these probably make a nice little profit on these "LEXUS" brake lines and they are probably a standard item which I can easily get my hands on thru my job as an engineer.

Old 11-01-01, 04:52 PM
sTWO
Rookie

GS4fun,

To my knowledge they cannot be shortened. Below is the link for a picture of the brake lines:

http://www.rodmillenstore.com/is_300/lines.htm

It says is_300 , but they are designed for the GS series. I even confirmed this from a few different sales people @ RMM.

If I decide to change them back to the factory ones, Lexus will provide the part free of charge, so that's not my main concern. Although I'd like to figure out a way to keep these stainless steel brake lines while solving the scratching problem.

Thanks,
Old 11-01-01, 06:26 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

By twisting the flexible pipe you can shorten the end-end length. If you twist it too much, it might kink and that would be bad.

Salim
Old 11-01-01, 09:22 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

I also have the RMM SS lines for the GS, and have no probs with length. My initial set was TRD lines made for the Supra, and they were definitely too long.
Old 11-01-01, 09:50 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

stainless lines dont not expand/flex under high heat or pressure so u get better brake feel.
Old 11-01-01, 10:21 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

I read somewhere that you really don't need SS brake lines and i read in grassroots magazine that SS is not really needed unless you race on track when you constantly using the brakes. I heard that it's actually worse overall if you use stainless steel brakes under normal driving conditions. Just check out last months edition of Grass Roots where you can learn a lot about car parts.
Old 11-02-01, 04:35 AM
sTWO
Rookie

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I have a good idea of what I need to do now. It's a toss-up between removing the SS brake lines and putting the factory ones back in or twisting the flexible pipe to shorten the length. Either way the problem should be solved.

Thanks again,
Old 11-02-01, 05:23 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GS4fun
sTWO,

Is there anyway for you to shorten these lines?

Do you have a picture of the brake lines?

By the way fellow Club Lexus addicts, what is so special about these brakes lines?

If anyone can provide a pressure/ temperature specification along with type of end fitting (and length), I'm sure i can get people that are interested a very good price on probably the exact same part. People that sell these probably make a nice little profit on these "LEXUS" brake lines and they are probably a standard item which I can easily get my hands on thru my job as an engineer.

Dude...I'll let you drive my car and you'll see a BIG difference!!! trust me!!!!...BIG difference!! Just wait you'll see
Old 11-02-01, 09:16 AM
LiquidSmile
Driver School Candidate

On my 98' Cherokee I have 28" Front SS Brakelines. They are long for daily driving, but when I go Off-road they are the perfect length. What I did to solve my problem of them being to long is. Go to Pep Boys or Auto Zoned and get a Throttle Spring. Pep Boys has a big selection. I hooked one looped end around the brakeline and one end in my fender. It holds the Brakeline there and if I need the length it will stretch with no problem. Easy Fix, cost me about 3.25 or so.
I don't know if you can see the spring in this pic, but here goes.

EDIT***********************************
Why Does my Pic not Post? Only Shows a URL?

Last edited by LiquidSmile; 11-02-01 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-02-01, 10:10 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LiquidSmile
On my 98' Cherokee I have 28" Front SS Brakelines. They are long for daily driving, but when I go Off-road they are the perfect length. What I did to solve my problem of them being to long is. Go to Pep Boys or Auto Zoned and get a Throttle Spring. Pep Boys has a big selection. I hooked one looped end around the brakeline and one end in my fender. It holds the Brakeline there and if I need the length it will stretch with no problem. Easy Fix, cost me about 3.25 or so.
I don't know if you can see the spring in this pic, but here goes.

EDIT***********************************
Why Does my Pic not Post? Only Shows a URL?
For some reason I feel like going snorkeling!
Old 09-03-02, 05:58 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 94' GS300 with Rod Millen front brakes and I have a leak in one of my stainless steel lines, can you help me out, will they fit my car, cost? I only need one for the front left, I really don't want to have to buy an entire kit. Do I have to replace the line with the same as what the kit came with, or can I use any stainless lines?
Old 09-04-02, 12:03 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's all about the way in which you install the lines. One of my lines was rubbing when the wheel was all the way turned left (left side). I simply re-positioned the lines further away from the tire and all's fixed!