Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 08:48 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b2ke
122k they blew out while i was driving
Did you happen to have been cornering? I read that the least amount of pressure is when driving straight vs how mine popped, namely stopped and fully turned to one corner, at an incline
Old 06-18-12, 12:39 PM
chubz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my gs has 169k. im not sure if the previous owner did them or not but this thread scares the **** out of me so i just ordered a set of moogs from rock auto. $94 for the pair with 2 day shipping. hopefully i will have time to knock them out this week.
Old 07-25-12, 09:13 PM
Edgar300
Driver School Candidate

98 300 here and mine went completely out about 210k miles so when you hear a squeak sound up front you better stop or wheels come off
Old 06-12-13, 06:01 PM
GunFightr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 77i9
Did as you suggested and read through the whole thread.
A lot of the post were from people whose OEM balljoints failed drastically and suggestions that people change theirs. Ok, got that part. Then there's people mentioning that they replaced their OEM balljoints with OEM balljoints (the ones that I'm questioning if the quality is the same as the ones they replaced). There's some mention of the newer year balljoints being maybe better, but nothing concrete. Then there's a member whose balljoint failed after two years, which makes me question the OEM replacement balljoint even more. But since there's only one poster so far, it's not very conclusive. So I guess no answer yet to my question of why replace the OEM balljoint the we know fails drastically with another albeit brand new OEM balljoint that could fail just as bad? It would be like replacing defective part with a newer defective part.
Also on the part where I mentioned if there is a bulletin or a recall, there's none that I found for the 2nd gen GS just the 1st gen.

So anybody who wants to correct me or enlighten me, please do so.
Moog BallJoints man, only way to go with all the horror story of OE. IMOP
Old 06-13-13, 08:09 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Been on OEM for over two years. NO issues.
Old 06-13-13, 09:03 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Moog is one of the oldest suspension parts manufacturers in the world and their quality has always been stellar. I always use OEM Lexus parts but in this case, I would make an exception. I have the local Toyota dealer service my car and have them check the ball joints regularly. (They are nearing the outside of the tolerance for play) When they do need to be replaced, I will probably use Moog.
Old 07-21-13, 08:23 PM
uoduckfan0
Rookie

Just ordered my ball joints. Front end is making a lot of noise over bumps. Hopefully it's the ball joints. I don't think the previous owner ever replaced them. Found the moog ball joints cheapest on rock auto.
Old 08-16-13, 11:56 AM
GS4VIPbOSS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did this very much needed dont wait.
Old 08-16-13, 02:12 PM
phiphong
Driver School Candidate

I have an IS250 with 49300 miles on it. I noticed some noise and steering was pulling a little to the right, so I took it to firestone to get it check out. The guy there said my right lower ball joints is bad and I need to replace it. Firestone quoted for part and labor cost $362. Questions: 1) Does Lexus warranty cover ball joints replacement? 2) What can I do to lower the price? 3) Can I order the part and let them install it? From what I read so far, the lower ball joint cost only around $100, not $220 like the quote said.

I'm pretty clueless about car, so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-13, 05:58 PM
cstrong45
Driver School Candidate

Default Lower Ball Joints

A couple of weeks ago I started hearing noises in the front end. I came to this forum and read the suspension sticky and immediately became aware of the ball joint issue I bought my Lexus new in 2000 and have140,000 miles on it now. Not knowing if this was my problem I ordered new ones and new tie rod ends. I looked up the thread on installation and proceeded to install the ends and joints.

When I finished took it for a spin and no noise. Its been a couple of weeks and the noise is gone. I want to thank those that did the write-ups on this problem. I got a safety issue fixed and I did it myself.
Old 09-25-13, 08:45 AM
paralegal
Driver School Candidate

I'm at 133,000. It just happened to me. I had no idea that could happen, it had been making noise for awhile. I took it to lexus and they said it needed repair but it was so expensive I asked what needed to be done first they said new tires and alignment and the other could wait, ok to drive. It's wasn't, scared the crud out of me and my 5 year old. luckily we were not injured.
Old 09-25-13, 03:23 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by paralegal
I'm at 133,000. It just happened to me. I had no idea that could happen, it had been making noise for awhile. I took it to lexus and they said it needed repair but it was so expensive I asked what needed to be done first they said new tires and alignment and the other could wait, ok to drive. It's wasn't, scared the crud out of me and my 5 year old. luckily we were not injured.
Dealerships always rip you off in terms of cost and labor. The actual parts cost maybe $200 total, tops depending on where you source them. The labor on doing it yourself can vary between an hour to a couple give or take, again depending on your competency, but a mechanic should be able to do it in an hour or 2 tops (just lots of bolting on and off). I wouldn't pay more than $350-$400 TOTAL and that's a bit on the high side personally. Take it to another shop WITH the parts and have them do it if you are unable to yourself.
Old 09-25-13, 03:47 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

order parts from net store and find mechanic on craigslist if you cant afford dealer or certified shop i know its a risk
i found a guy that changed 2 upper control arms 2 lower ball joints 2 caster arms and 4 struts for $150
Old 09-25-13, 05:22 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

So i heard a slight noise from the front right on my 2002 gs300 sport design, and went ahead and ordered K500102/101 MOOG lower ball joints, they were like 30 bucks a piece. I havent checked them, but im assuming its the ball joints? I didn't order the tie rod ends because the dealer checked them like a month ago and said they were fine, (they did say the ball joints had play in them though). The car only has 78k miles, but i figured id just replace them now. Already replaced the right upper control arm (paid $500, didnt realize back then how easy they are to replace), but the left seems completely fine. Regarding another car, (2000 gs300) the dealer replaced the balljoints at 60k miles, the car now has 107k. Does anyone think i need to replace them again, or am i fine? Its not making any noises, i just want to make sure. Thanks in advance
Old 09-26-13, 08:27 PM
cstrong45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gray_es300
So i heard a slight noise from the front right on my 2002 gs300 sport design, and went ahead and ordered K500102/101 MOOG lower ball joints, they were like 30 bucks a piece. I havent checked them, but im assuming its the ball joints? I didn't order the tie rod ends because the dealer checked them like a month ago and said they were fine, (they did say the ball joints had play in them though). The car only has 78k miles, but i figured id just replace them now. Already replaced the right upper control arm (paid $500, didnt realize back then how easy they are to replace), but the left seems completely fine. Regarding another car, (2000 gs300) the dealer replaced the balljoints at 60k miles, the car now has 107k. Does anyone think i need to replace them again, or am i fine? Its not making any noises, i just want to make sure. Thanks in advance
You got a hell of deal if you only paid 30 bucks for the ball joints. I got Moog tie rod ends for that price, but the ball joints were something like 65 a piece.

Quick Reply: Lower Ball joints