Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Ball joints

Old 03-04-07, 12:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbowes
Greetings,

Just returned from pick up one scared wife with a real sorry looking 98Lexus...she was driving down the road today and the driver's front wheel came off at a 90 degree angle...stuck in the wheel well sideways and did considerable body damage to the front fender. She is still really shook up from the experience...so I've been searching the net and found that Lexus has a recall (NHTSA Number 99V125000) which states, "Passenger Vehicles due to inadequate lubrication of the inside of the lower ball joints. Excessive wear can occur causing damage to the lower ball joints, separation of the lower ball joints from the steering knuckle arms could occur. Consequences: This condition could lead to a loss of control of the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash." No ****! I've never dealt with a recall situation. My questions are: What are the chances of the dealership paying for the repair? Assuming the answer is yes, the only Lexus dealer is 90 miles away, will Lexus pay for the towing, or will they allow the local Toyota Dealership to do the work? Will they consider fixing the resulting body damage too, or just put on new steering parts, smile and hand me the key?

Thanks,
John B.
Topeka

Post Script: Tomorrow I'm going to take photos if anyone is interested...

I am sorry about the accident and at least nobody was seriously injured. As for Lexus taking care of the repair and damage I am pretty positive they will refuse and use any excuse they can come up with to not do it and try to blame it on you. Lexus taking care of the repairs is the right thing to do but I know they won't since your out of warranty. I would still contact Lexus corporate and notify them of your situation and how big and dangerous this design defect problem is and why nothing has been done to address it. If enough people notify them and complain there is a very small chance they may look into it but that is doubtful
Old 03-04-07, 12:58 PM
alister
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a friend have this happen to her Grand Marquis and kept telling me to get mine replaced with so many miles on my GS (which I did a week ago). I bet the dealer with argue out their ears so I'd have to concur and say to contact corporate if you have the time and energy. Good thing everyone is safe in the meantime.
Old 03-04-07, 06:59 PM
johnbowes
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your posts...I've been stuck with this situation, given it happend on a Saturday late in the day...now waiting for everyone to open up on Monday morning. What a mess...I can't imagine the towing service being able to load the vehicle without doing again some more damage to the body...I've done a bit of research and my game plan tomorrow AM is to call Lexus Corp., first, then depending upon the answer, calling the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline to file a complaint...and finally (again depending on the answer) visiting with my attorney towards sending a letter to Toyota Corporate. The situation of folks driving around on these shady ball joints in untenetable. I have a 49 Jeepster with 50 years of service under its belt...I'd expect the wheel to maybe fall off...but not off a newer Luxury automobile. I may not get any satisfaction financially, but I will get some personally satisfaction that they will at least no I have been on their doorstep in a very strong way....

Blessings,
John B.
Old 03-06-07, 11:12 AM
Hiruko
Driver School Candidate

Default Squeaking noise?

Is this what's causing that horrible squeaking noise coming from the left front side of the car? I thought it might be the upper control arm, since it seems to squeak when I turn the wheel as well as when I start or stop, but isn't based on suspension travel, per se.

If this is the case, I'll get them changed ASAP!

Thanks,
-H
Old 03-06-07, 11:38 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

if you're on OEM balljoints, replace them anyways. Small price to pay for reassurance.

Mine made a squeaking/creaking/clicking noise when I turn my steering wheel.
Old 03-06-07, 12:05 PM
johnbowes
Driver School Candidate

Default Lower Ball Joints

Originally Posted by Hiruko
Is this what's causing that horrible squeaking noise coming from the left front side of the car? I thought it might be the upper control arm, since it seems to squeak when I turn the wheel as well as when I start or stop, but isn't based on suspension travel, per se.

If this is the case, I'll get them changed ASAP!

Thanks,
-H

Oh My Gosh!!! This is exactly what we heard about a week before the frickin wheel fell off the car. We'd written it off to sand and salt from the winter weather and were going to take to the car wash or have it checked...but, before we could make it to the shop....NO WHEEL!!! I'd encourage you to drive slow, etc. to the shop...I found recalls on GS 300s for Lower Ball Joints for 93, 94, 95, 96, and 97...but not (YET) for 98s...which is the year of our model. I'd also suggest for consideration that you go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and file a notice....this is beyond a maintenance problem...it is an ongoing quality control problem for Toyota Corp....just do a google of "Toyota Lower Ball Joint Recall"...see what I mean?

Blessings,
John B.
Kansas
Old 03-06-07, 12:13 PM
Hiruko
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm, well that's a bit disconcerting. What are the odds this might be something else? It's been making noises for a few weeks, and the driving doesn't seem to be deteriorating at all. Everything feels fine (tight, responsive, etc.)

I won't be able to get these fixed for at least another week due to timing and having to order the parts...so I'm hoping that maybe this isn't too dire a problem. Am I taking a chance by driving it for another week?

Ugh. Thanks for the info!

-H
Old 03-06-07, 07:13 PM
johnbowes
Driver School Candidate

Smile Lower Ball Joints

Originally Posted by Hiruko
Hmmm, well that's a bit disconcerting. What are the odds this might be something else? It's been making noises for a few weeks, and the driving doesn't seem to be deteriorating at all. Everything feels fine (tight, responsive, etc.)

I won't be able to get these fixed for at least another week due to timing and having to order the parts...so I'm hoping that maybe this isn't too dire a problem. Am I taking a chance by driving it for another week?

Ugh. Thanks for the info!

-H
What are the odds? I have no idea...as for your comment, "...the driving doesn't seem to be deteriorating at all..."...all just say that our car was handling like silk on glass when this happened...nice and smooth...of course, the ride changed abruptly, and the miles per gallon changed radically when the wheel came off!!! I now believe anyone which is not the original owner of the car and they've never put it up on the rack to check the suspension...(given Toyota Corps history with this problem)...have it looked at ASAP. You wait, this thread is going to have "some legs" for a long time into the future!

Cheers,
John B.
Kansas
John B.
Old 03-08-07, 09:49 AM
Hiruko
Driver School Candidate

Well I'm happy to say that, after reading this thread, I realized that this was a priority and not something to put off. My GS4 is sitting in the shop as I write this, getting the lower ball joints replaced on both sides. I'm really hoping this will solve my squeaking issues, but even if it doesn't, I've bought myself some peace of mind for less than $400...and that's a bargain.

Thanks very much for the comments, and making sure I understood how important this was. No wheels falling off for me while driving, thanks!

-H
Old 03-08-07, 12:35 PM
johnbowes
Driver School Candidate

Er...as they say, "...a picture is worth a thousand words..."
Attached Thumbnails Lower Ball joints-lexus3.jpg  
Old 03-08-07, 03:58 PM
David1969
Pole Position

JEEZUS!
Old 03-08-07, 04:19 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs down

That BITES!!
Old 03-08-07, 04:35 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

HOLY! You're not kidding!
Old 03-08-07, 08:39 PM
johnbowes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS430lvr
That BITES!!
Yeah...no joke! Talk about your wheels being out of alignment...and it's a real killer on tire wear and MPG!!!

Actually, it is a real blessing no one was hurt...but
like I said, I had one very shook-up wife when I got to the rescue scene!
Old 03-08-07, 09:44 PM
DoingDamag
Driver

I want my mommy!!!

Seriously, Lexus needs to do something about this! This is just crazy! They don't realize that satisfying their present customers will ensure their return. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but those infiniti's and beemers are starting to look pretty good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lower Ball joints