Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 08:44 AM
soakgame
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine relpaced at a buck-40 (140k) miles. I purchased the bilstein coilovers as well. Problem is I'm still hearing a lot of "clicking" sounds comming from the front end. Can anyone tell me what the problem could be? I brought it to Lexus of Concord and to Wheelworks as well, but they told me they could not hear it?

Frustrated GS owner =/
Old 01-19-07, 01:36 PM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are the symptoms that the steering rack bushings are on the way out?

(New ball-joints @82k miles, 90k on it now)
Old 01-19-07, 04:28 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Default Hey

Originally Posted by gs-ireland
What are the symptoms that the steering rack bushings are on the way out?

(New ball-joints @82k miles, 90k on it now)
Steering wheel is not straight vibration why do you think your rack is bad?
Old 01-20-07, 02:29 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The steering has a bit of play in it and one major clue is when I drive over a very rough suface slowly I can feel the rack moving up and down slightly!!!

I think the best thing to do is just jack her up and look at the bushings to see if they are still there!!!

Last edited by gs-ireland; 01-20-07 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-29-07, 09:05 PM
shabbyblue
Driver

Will the lower ball joints last longer than the original ones. Also did you guys have to get your car aligned after you had the lower ball joints installed?
Old 01-29-07, 09:20 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The balljoints that your order now are supposedly the revised joints. Suppose they are stronger than the original. I hear more failures on 98-00 GS than 01+. Perhaps the 01+ have the updated joints.

I didn't do an alignment after putting in the balljoint. It's suppose to slightly affect camber only (more towards 0 than negative). In my case, it helped with camber since my car is lowered a bit. An alignment isn't necessary unless you touched the tie-rod(s).
Old 01-29-07, 09:34 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I didn't do an alignment after putting in the balljoint. It's suppose to slightly affect camber only (more towards 0 than negative). In my case, it helped with camber since my car is lowered a bit. An alignment isn't necessary unless you touched the tie-rod(s).
I don't know, Henry. Lexus told me the same thing after I replaced my lower ball joints. After 5,000 miles, I completely trashed a set of Turanza LS-Zs by riding on the inside shoulders of the tires. I suppose it might have had something to do with the fact that I also installed new OEM shocks at the time, but everyone told me that neither shocks nor ball joints will change the alignment. I can personally attest that in my case, it most definitely did. My tires had 7-8/32nds of tread with perfectly even wear. This was the final straw:
Attached Thumbnails Lower Ball joints-dscn6678-resized-.jpg  
Old 01-29-07, 09:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

OUCH! Did changing your shock raise the car up at all?
Old 01-29-07, 09:46 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much is labor for ball joint replacement?
Old 01-29-07, 09:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

It should really only take an hour so going by dealer's labor, I would say about $90.

Or you can grab a couple of your buddy together during the weekend and make it a DIY job
Old 01-29-07, 09:51 PM
shabbyblue
Driver

The balljoints that your order now are supposedly the revised joints. Suppose they are stronger than the original. I hear more failures on 98-00 GS than 01+. Perhaps the 01+ have the updated joints.

Did the turning on the car seem a little tighter? It seems like when I hit certain grooves in the road the car drifts, but I only changed the lower ball joints and the steering rack bushings. I also have my car lowered. Running daizen springs. 1.9 drop front 1.2 rear.
Old 01-29-07, 09:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Yes my turning did become tighter, but it's not a dramatic difference because only one of my balljoint was bad, and it wasn't as bad as a lot of people's joint. I just decided to change it. It's a small price to pay for my safety
Old 01-29-07, 10:29 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

OUCH! Did changing your shock raise the car up at all?
No, I don't think the new shocks raised the car up. If anything, I guess the new shocks forced the wheels downward and outward during normal driving conditions (if that's even possible, I really don't know). I was basically riding on the shoulders of all 4 tires and I didn't even know it. In hindsight, it must have been the shocks because the problem wasn't just limited to the front tires (although those showed more irregular wear than the rears). Anyway, lesson learned. If you futz with the suspension in any way, get an alignment. It's cheap insurance against burning up your tires, or worse, something bad happening.
Old 01-29-07, 10:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Once you touch the spring and/or shock, your alignment will be out of spec. My guess is that the shocks did have a very small affect on the height of the car, which means your toe got knocked out of spec, therefore you saw inner wear on all four tires, but the front more since those wheels are the ones that steers the car.

My front tires were bald on the inside so i had to go to a shop to get them flipped around to wear out the outter portion instead. Can't get new tires because something is making my steering very loose so I'll be eating the new tires anyways. Gotta fix that before I do anything else

But the ball joint sure made me feel more confident in driving
Old 02-03-07, 09:07 AM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Henry, you need Daizen front control arm bushing.......
Once you touch the spring and/or shock, your alignment will be out of spec. My guess is that the shocks did have a very small affect on the height of the car, which means your toe got knocked out of spec, therefore you saw inner wear on all four tires, but the front more since those wheels are the ones that steers the car.

My front tires were bald on the inside so i had to go to a shop to get them flipped around to wear out the outter portion instead. Can't get new tires because something is making my steering very loose so I'll be eating the new tires anyways. Gotta fix that before I do anything else

But the ball joint sure made me feel more confident in driving

Quick Reply: Lower Ball joints