Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-07, 04:56 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got done changing mine right now, it wasn't that hard to do. Once you do the first side, the second side will go really easy.
Old 01-07-07, 03:42 PM
shabbyblue
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just order mine. I want to put the Daizen bushings steering set in. My shop said I should keep my original because I will have to take them out and relube them every year because they are polyurtheane.(sp) Has anyone heard of this being true. They also said they would also make a lot of noise.
Old 01-07-07, 05:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

that is NOT true. Polyurethane bushings on the control arm and such are exposed to the actual arm twisting up and down. With the steering rack bushing, the bushing is there to merely hold the rack in place.
Old 01-07-07, 07:16 PM
shabbyblue
Driver

Okay, I order the lower ball joints front left and front right. What is the official name of the Daizen bushings. Because when I told the shop to order the bushings from lexus they said, " what type of bushings, there are a lot of bushings." So, if one of you guys can tell me the offical name of the Daizen bushings I need to install that would be real helpful. I don't know if they are steering bushings or camber bushings are maybe called something else. Also should I buy anything else that goes with this lower ball joint installtion.
Old 01-07-07, 07:44 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

They are called steering rack bushings order them from Lexus-parts.com 39.bucks
Old 01-08-07, 02:16 PM
shabbyblue
Driver

Thanks for all the help. I saw the camber kit is for sale on this site. Has anyone bought this yet? Also did you guys think I should buy any other bushing sets. Not trying to spend a lot, but if I could change something now is the time to do it.
Old 01-08-07, 05:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

The Daizen camber kit never made into production
Old 01-08-07, 07:49 PM
shabbyblue
Driver

Why do they have it on there website?
Old 01-08-07, 08:37 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

just got mines done only cost me 150 bucks installed total price for both sides not bad actually and its feels much tighter on the turns
Old 01-14-07, 09:52 PM
shabbyblue
Driver

Are you guys sure the daizen steering bushings aren't going to squeek? I read some other post and there are a lot of people saying their bushings are starting to make noise. They make even more noise when it gets colder. If you read this let me know I'm going to install them pretty soon.
Old 01-14-07, 10:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by shabbyblue
Are you guys sure the daizen steering bushings aren't going to squeek? I read some other post and there are a lot of people saying their bushings are starting to make noise. They make even more noise when it gets colder. If you read this let me know I'm going to install them pretty soon.
Polyurethane bushings on the control arm and such are exposed to the actual arm twisting up and down. With the steering rack bushing, the bushing is there to merely hold the rack in place.
The daizen control arm bushing and the steering rack bushings are two different things. There is a rotational force on the control arm bushing as the suspension moves up and down. This force creates friction between the metal sleeve and the polyurethane bushing. On the steering rack, there is no rotational force, just horizontal force when you move your steering wheel. This movement does not cause any rubbing.

Best way I can describe it is this..if you push a box across the floor..you're going to hear noise because of friction. Now if you just hop onto the box, you're not going to rub because your force is perpendicular to the floor. This is why there needs to be constant greasing to reduce the friction.

Just get the steering rack bushing. Trust me when I say there wont be any noises.

Now if you ordered the bushings for the control arm instead, then yes..they will squeak in colder weather.
Old 01-15-07, 12:02 AM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
Now if you ordered the bushings for the control arm instead, then yes..they will squeak in colder weather.
I installed mine 3 months ago with no problem with cold weather, I think you need to put a lot of grease and don't tight the camber bold and upper arm bold when the car still on the jack...
Lets put every things back...take the car down to the ground and tight it....

Why? because the camber and upper arm bushings are free to move, when the car at the park position both of the bushings moved to the right angle. so there will not angular force acting on the bushings..... That will help the bushing last longer and easier to adjust the camber angle
Old 01-15-07, 12:44 PM
shabbyblue
Driver

Okay, thanks for the info. I just ordered the Daizen steering bushings.
Old 01-16-07, 07:48 PM
shabbyblue
Driver

Okay you guys are the greatest. Thanks for the help. Ball joints and steering rack bushings feel great. Million dollar question what did you guys do as far as your camber and upper bushings? It seems like the daizens ones are going to squeek. Has anyone tried installing the factory ones again?
Old 01-16-07, 08:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Most of the people that experience squeakings are those who live in very very cold weather, or their bushings do not have sufficient grease. As far as camber goes; unfortunately, no one makes aftermarket camber kits for us

Quick Reply: Lower Ball joints