Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clunking noise coming from the front end

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 05:10 PM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise coming from the front end

Hey guys I have a nice clunking sound coming from the front end when I hit a road bump. I have put on L-tuned shocks and springs myself. I thought it was the ball joints so I replaced them (and tie rods)and no luck. It seems like it was worse after L-tune suspension install or atleast it was more noticable. Did I do something wrong on install? something not tightened down good enough?

Also I was wondering if the bushings could cause this sound. If so which ones or should I just replace them all. I am more than willing. This sounds drives me nuts as I have been chasing it for a bit now. Any suggestions would be awesome and yes I have searched but no luck there either. Thanks

Matt
Old 12-17-06, 05:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

when you go over bumps or dips, does it feel like the suspension is loose?
Old 12-17-06, 06:24 PM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSteg
when you go over bumps or dips, does it feel like the suspension is loose?
No. actually the suspension feels pretty good.

I actually was just driving it and may have discovered some good info. I was hitting the same bump over and over and the same clunk would be there. I tried pressing the brake at the same time and no clunk on the same bump. So maybe its brake related? I don't know. I thought I read somewhere that the shock sleeve could on some shocks rattle together. This to me feels more like it but it doesn't explaine the brake+bump=no noise thing. I have had the car aligned by shop after the lower ball joints and tie rods were put on. It never felt better. Once I get this clunk out I will be relieved. More brake inpsection perhaps, maybe a loose brake pad? I will be inspecting more tomorrow.

Matt

Last edited by Dukespeed; 12-17-06 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-18-06, 11:59 AM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Default ??????

Alright I am now leaning heavy to the brakes. If I didn't use a Fit kit when installing pads what are the chances that the pads are rattling when i hit the so called bumps? I think I am going to go get the kit and put it on and eliminate that thought. If any one else has any other ideas keep them coming. Thanks

Matt
Old 12-18-06, 02:35 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

thats what id id with my Supra breakes (fitkit) but the noise came back on blue moon nights but not as pronounced and went away a day or so later
Old 12-18-06, 06:51 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a 'Strut Tower Brace' on your car? If so you might want to check that it's tighten properly. I had a clunking noise when another CL member suggested the fix and it worked.
Old 12-18-06, 07:35 PM
Dukespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexizm
Do you have a 'Strut Tower Brace' on your car? If so you might want to check that it's tighten properly. I had a clunking noise when another CL member suggested the fix and it worked.
No sir.

I just order the fit kit for the brakes and the daizen steering rack bushings (gonna be down there might as well make it worht it) Anyways I am going to just go through all the bolts I can see and tighten them all up. I read earlier someone did this and solved there issues. We shall see.
Old 10-31-08, 02:49 AM
SDDrewGS4
Driver School Candidate

This is an old thread. I have a similar problem with a clicking sound and i found IT IS the brake pad being loose and catching the rotor everytime the wheels spins dropping it back down and making the CLUNK noise.
Old 11-02-08, 07:58 AM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

My 01 GS430 (55k) has some clunking in the front as you first described, just over bumps. I am familar w/ the brake pad noises that can come from the issues on the fit kit and I am sure this is not the same thing as my noises still occur w/ brakes applied.

The car drives, track and wears tires perfectly and really the only time you will hear these clunks is say over rough city roads and chatter bumps like old RR tracks or construction areas.

With the low mileage I puzzled what this could be; a Lexus parts person said the lower control arm bushing can cause that clunky sound which seems to originate from the foot well area of the body. The car was a very low mileage one owner that was only driven on occasion to the tune of 6k/yr before I got it.

Has any one had this sound and ended up w/ the lower control arm being issue? I am going to have a shop take a look and see.
Old 11-02-08, 09:17 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

strut mounts can make this clunking noise... now i know they sit up top... but sumtimes i can feel mine down towards the steering column area.. but i kno its my strut mounts on the Flex cuz they are known for knocking like that after a short time
Old 11-02-08, 11:46 AM
sleeperGS
Rookie

check the shim on your break pads, sometimes the come loose and make that rattling noise
Old 11-02-08, 01:21 PM
DangGS3
Pole Position

hey i have the same thing. im on tein flex too. i asked my mechanic and he said it could be catalytic converter if a bracket is broken or something. my clunking sounds comes from like below the passenger foot area.
Old 11-02-08, 07:20 PM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Adam2562
strut mounts can make this clunking noise... now i know they sit up top... but sumtimes i can feel mine down towards the steering column area.. but i kno its my strut mounts on the Flex cuz they are known for knocking like that after a short time
Hmm I did change the front struts and the sound remained the same before and after. I gave the mounts a passing glance but there is not much there, just gets sandwiched and torqued in place. How do you tell if the strut mounts are bad once you have them off?
Old 11-04-08, 08:09 AM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Just got back from a reputable alignment/frame shop, they inspected the car. They concluded the lower control arm bushing, that attaches from the spindle/wheel and goes rearward to mount to the subframe, is causing the clunking. Ball joints appeared ok. Top strut mounts ok too.

The lower control arm bushing only comes with a new control arm. Here's a pic of the arm, has anyone else had similar symptoms and found this was the issue?
Attached Thumbnails Clunking noise coming from the front end-photo_110408_001.jpg  
Old 11-04-08, 08:11 AM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

Here is another picture of the lower control arm.
Attached Thumbnails Clunking noise coming from the front end-photo_110408_002.jpg  

Quick Reply: Clunking noise coming from the front end