Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Popping/Creaking Noise???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-01, 06:57 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Popping/Creaking Noise???

My people! I am getting what seems to me at least sounds to me like popping sounds from the suspension, "ONLY WHEN I EITHER COME UP OR GO DOWN AN INCLINE WHILE TURNING"??? Someone mentioned to me that when I installed L-Tuned that I needed to keep the factory bushings and not the L-Tuned ones!? Can anyone elaborate............................?
Old 10-25-01, 08:04 PM
TX GS
Driver

Definitely sounds like either worn or compressed bushings. From your description, it's at certain "weight shift" points which is indicative of bushings.

Do you have the old ones to replace?
Old 10-25-01, 09:18 PM
gsexploits
Driver

I think what people were referencing when installing L-tuned suspension is to keep and use the stock spring bump tops (the rubber that is the rebound point for the shock) not the bushings.

If the sound is more of a consistent popping until you straighten out the wheel (knuckling would be my best decription) then it may be in your steering rack at its outside point (don't know the technical term for it). The down hill or uphill causes extra force on the components of the rack. I had this problem in previous car and is was deemed to be a rack problem.

Does the sound only come from one side of the car or only the outside wheel (i.e. right wheel on left hand turn)?

TC
Old 10-25-01, 09:33 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

No it is definitely not steering related. It has something to do with "Body Flex" and suspension components. I have modified alot of cars, but this being mor eon the "Luxury" side poses new challenges. I have an appointment Monday so I'll keep you guys posted.......................
Old 10-26-01, 06:58 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Ditto!

Marcus - I'm afraid it's the bushings ( as TX mentioned ). I've had the Eibach Pro Kit for 2 years now & mine has just started the same noises. Heck, I was even working on the stereo & when I plopped my 210# butt into the trunk, the front end creaked!!:eek: I knew I'd gained some tonnage but THAT'S ridiculous! Seriously, I started pushing down on both sides of the front end & heard the same popping/creaking noises U have. I recall that I changed out the factory rubber bump stops for polyurethane ones plus the Intrax sways have the same. I went ahead & greased the sway bushings & the sound reduced somewhat so I'd venture to say it's your L-Tuned bushings - do they have zerks for allowing greasing? Could also be the doughnuts/bushings in the strut perches. Anytime U tighten up the suspension travel with urethane, it's gonna squeak eventually but most performance bushings ( at least from Energy Suspension ) come with grease fittings. Why do U think 'Vettes R famous for squeaking - the whole d*** chassis flexes & God forbid U add urethane to the mix!!:eek:
Old 10-26-01, 07:54 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Ditto!

Originally posted by Mean Gene
Anytime U tighten up the suspension travel with urethane, it's gonna squeak eventually but most performance bushings ( at least from Energy Suspension ) come with grease fittings. Why do U think 'Vettes R famous for squeaking - the whole d*** chassis flexes & God forbid U add urethane to the mix!!:eek:
LOL! That's a good one Gene. I remember my ex had a Vette (a sweet white 95) and I thought that bad boy was going to cave in around us one time! :eek:

Well thanks for the input guys, I'll mention that to the shop!
Old 04-14-02, 05:48 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

TXSTYLE --> Did you ever find out what the problem was? I've got a 99 GS300 (bone stock), and I have the same problem. It's driving me nuts!

Last edited by brendanlim; 04-14-02 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-14-02, 09:30 PM
gqii4you
Rookie

Default SAME PROBLEM

Hey Guys,
I posted the same thing a few days ago and none of you replied. I have the exact same popping and creaking noise yet I have doen no mods to my car. Lexus of Orlando cannot seem to figure out what it is. They have replaced my shocks and still no cure. It does not occur all the time and it is hard to get it to do it while at the dealership. It has been their 3 times for a total of 8 weeks and no cure yet.
Old 04-15-02, 05:57 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Default Re: SAME PROBLEM

Originally posted by gqii4you
Hey Guys,
I posted the same thing a few days ago and none of you replied. I have the exact same popping and creaking noise yet I have doen no mods to my car. Lexus of Orlando cannot seem to figure out what it is. They have replaced my shocks and still no cure. It does not occur all the time and it is hard to get it to do it while at the dealership. It has been their 3 times for a total of 8 weeks and no cure yet.
Yeah, I can't seem to figure out what it is either. It only happens sometimes when im turning very slowly. It's really annoying and I really want to get it fixed. Does anybody know what the source of the problem is?
Old 04-15-02, 09:14 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up I'm Fixed!!!

Just got a chance to read some of your responses. Well actually guys, I'm all fixed now! My 'particular' problem was a spring with minor imperfections at one of the ends? What was happening was: during a turn in either a incline or decline (which causes "MAJOR" body-flex!) the spring would come out of it's 'seat' and bang against the strut! :eek: (nothing that would fail or anything) but still annoying as hell! The spring was replaced under warranty by Steve Ganz (always coming thru ) and now I'm good to go! You guys that are experiencing 'similar' problems, that is very odd considering you still have factory suspensions. But, I could see where the same 'defect' could hold true for even a 'factory' spring! CHECK IT OUT. The only way to know for sure is to have both front springs (if that's where the sound is coming from) removed and compare them!

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 04-15-02 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-15-02, 11:02 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Default Re: I'm Fixed!!!

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
Just got a chance to read some of your responses. Well actually guys, I'm all fixed now! My 'particular' problem was a spring with minor imperfections at one of the ends? What was happening was: during a turn in either a incline or decline (which causes "MAJOR" body-flex!) the spring would come out of it's 'seat' and bang against the strut! :eek: (nothing that would fail or anything) but still annoying as hell! The spring was replaced under warranty by Steve Ganz (always coming thru ) and now I'm good to go! You guys that are experiencing 'similar' problems, that is very odd considering you still have factory suspensions. But, I could see where the same 'defect' could hold true for even a 'factory' spring! CHECK IT OUT. The only way to know for sure is to have both front springs (if that's where the sound is coming from) removed and compare them!
Thanks so much for the reply TX! One more question though. Is it a necessary fix or will it be fine the way it is (even though it's annoying as hell) --> oh, and if I were to get it fixed how much do you think it would set me back (warranty gone). Thanks bro!
Old 04-15-02, 11:19 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: I'm Fixed!!!

Originally posted by brendanlim

Thanks so much for the reply TX! One more question though. Is it a necessary fix or will it be fine the way it is (even though it's annoying as hell) --> oh, and if I were to get it fixed how much do you think it would set me back (warranty gone). Thanks bro!
According to my shop (performance-shop) there was no 'real' danger. Although, there was slight visual signs of scraping where the contact was happening! So is it neccessary? Tuff for me to answer. I at least reccommend you have em' removed and looked at to see. And are you only getting this sound like I was, exactly? I would venture to say that if your spring is slightly imperfect and that's what's causing the noise (like mine was) go ahead and purchase just the spring(s). Do a search for lowest prices for Lexus parts.
Old 04-15-02, 08:27 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: I'm Fixed!!!

According to my shop (performance-shop) there was no 'real' danger. Although, there was slight visual signs of scraping where the contact was happening! So is it neccessary? Tuff for me to answer. I at least reccommend you have em' removed and looked at to see. And are you only getting this sound like I was, exactly? I would venture to say that if your spring is slightly imperfect and that's what's causing the noise (like mine was) go ahead and purchase just the spring(s). Do a search for lowest prices for Lexus parts.
The sound is exactly like you described it. It's very annoying, and it's hard to duplicate when you want to show somebody I'm actually driving down to the dealership tomorrow to pickup a new master key, so I think I'll go ahead and ask them to see if they could check it out right then and there. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks TX.
Old 04-16-02, 08:09 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm Fixed!!!

Originally posted by brendanlim

The sound is exactly like you described it. It's very annoying, and it's hard to duplicate when you want to show somebody I'm actually driving down to the dealership tomorrow to pickup a new master key, so I think I'll go ahead and ask them to see if they could check it out right then and there. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks TX.
I know EXACTLY what you mean about the sound not being there when you want someone else to hear! We had to go driving around to find just the right type of incline/decline!
Old 05-01-02, 04:13 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm Fixed!!!

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the sound not being there when you want someone else to hear! We had to go driving around to find just the right type of incline/decline!
Just went by the dealership and I explained the whole thing to the mechanic. We took my car out for a ride, and he kept on sayign it was the brake pads repositioning themselves. I was like, "no, that's not what it is. it doesnt happen when I am on a flat surface going straight ..." -- After about twenty minutes of trying to have the mechanic duplicate the sound, I asked him if I could show him. I turned up someone's steep driveway and there it was. That annoying creeking popping sound .... He said that it might be the bushings like you said ....

Any idea how much it will cost to replace + labor?? I've got an appointment next week, but they couldn't tell me for sure.

Thanks TX!!

Brendan

Quick Reply: Popping/Creaking Noise???