Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Dust Resolution by Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-06, 03:24 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Dust Resolution by Lexus

Gentlemen;
For those who want a resolution to excessive brake dust, Lexus has a solution for the IS 350 and GS 430 (for those who have one of these in your stable). The info is covered in Lexus TSB2203, dated October 5, 2006. It is applicable to 06 and 07 models. It states:

" 2006-2007 model year GS 430 and IS 350 vehicles are equipped with high-friction front pads, specifically designed for superior braking performance and response. As a result, under certain operating conditions, it is possible for the customer to experience a larger volume of dust on the wheels.

For customers who find this condition objectionable, an alternative brake material has been developed which reduces brake dust generation. These alternative front brake pads should only be installed for customers who are aware that braking performance and feeling may be reduced under certain driving conditions as a result of their usage."

The TSB quotes the part number for these pads.

Now the really good news. The TSB states: "This repair is covered under the Lexus Basic Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 80,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first, from the vehicles warranty registration date." It goes on to say, " Warrantee application is limited to correction of a problem based on a customer's specific complaint."

Not sure how this integrates with the front brake pad wear disclaimer of less than 32,000 kilometers. In other words if a customer complains of excessive brake dust with exhausted pads in excess of 32000kilometers, does the "dust" warranty take precedent. An interesting question.

If this info has already been posted, my apologies. Hope it helps.
NGG
Old 11-21-06, 03:35 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's news to me... I'll have to ask my service guy about that.

The worsened performance kind of concerns me a bit... but my guess would be that it won't make that much of a difference.

Thanks for the heads up, though.
Old 11-21-06, 03:38 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Wow... Thats awesome that Lexus finally realizes the complaints and is now offering a way to get around the break dust and is covering the new pads under warranty?? +++ Thats great in my mind!! Reduced performance?? Owwwww...
Old 11-21-06, 03:42 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

I'll stick with dust.....
Old 11-21-06, 03:44 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
The worsened performance kind of concerns me a bit... but my guess would be that it won't make that much of a difference.
Agree. The weak link in most modern car's braking performance are the tires. The calipers should be strong enough exert the extra pressure to compensate.

With that said, I'll take the extra dust for the extra margin of error, if any.
Old 11-21-06, 03:47 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For me the dust is no big deal. It's easy to wipe off of the G-Spider's (5 minutes, tops). Maybe the stock painted wheels are a bit harder to clean. But I'll take the system I have now, I can't complain about the performance at all. Good feel under braking.
Old 11-21-06, 04:12 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow... It's amazing how a little TSB that accomplishes nothing makes everyone all of a sudden happy to live with excessive brake dust

Javier
Old 11-21-06, 04:13 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just the first step in Lexus dumbing down the brake system in response to owner complaints. Yeah for devolution in the name of not having to clean your wheels as often.

Just wait until people have to buy replacement tires at 15-20k...then we can look forward to some ES wheels! Then our cars will be truly unremarkable! Go team!

Old 11-21-06, 04:58 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Default Clarification

It would be helpful if Lexus would clarify what "braking performance and feeling may be reduced" means in quantifyable terms. With that info we would be able to make informed decisions which pads would suit our preference/needs. If any CL member has a contact in Lexus Corporate tech services maybe they could pose the question. Factors of interest may include; stopping distances, softer/harder pedal feel, progressive versus grabby pedal feel, brake fade, pad wear, rotor wear, etc. Am sure others can add to this list.
Old 11-21-06, 05:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Wow... It's amazing how a little TSB that accomplishes nothing makes everyone all of a sudden happy to live with excessive brake dust

Javier

I agree. Now if we can get a TSB on the nav override, the rearview mirror shakes, and the tpms/seatbelt buzzers, maybe we'll turn out ok in those areas as well.

Thanks for the TSB, I honestly don't like the dust so I will have no problem obtaining the warranty replacement next Spring. I only plan to keep this car until end of 2007 so it's not like "somewhat" decreased braking is going to be a big deal; I'll be sure to let everyone know how it works out.
Old 11-21-06, 05:32 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Wow! Just WOW!
This reminds me of Sti owners complaining about the harshness of the ride.
Old 11-21-06, 07:43 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

So does it mean that Lexus will start using the "NEW" pads when you need to replace your brake pads? Hopefully that's not the case.
Old 11-21-06, 08:36 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

And people wonder why Lexus lags when it comes to "performance vehicles"

It's becuase the typical Lexus owner would rather have a brakeing system that produces less dust versus one that performs well. While your typical ///M or AMG buyer could care less about the dust, and are looking for performance above all else.
Old 11-21-06, 08:46 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Weren't we all just complaining about excessive brake dust like a few months ago? And now all of you are like wah wah wah why is Lexus replacing our brake pads...
Old 11-21-06, 08:56 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i'll get it when my pads r bout to die

Quick Reply: Brake Dust Resolution by Lexus