Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake pads and rotors at 14.6k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-06, 10:37 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premature brake replacement

Originally Posted by Evitzee
So fuel, tires and brakes cost 23 cents per mile. That's not cheap by any means.
Gentlemen;
This is the price we pay for driving "performance" cars. That is why I suggested earlier that Lexus takes advantage of our desire for performance by supplying performance parts, (brakes and tires) that are not neccessary for 95% of the driving we do. Additionally they could design braking and suspension systems that can provide the same level of performance without the costly premature wear/replacement. This they will not do as it is not in their interest(Lexus and dealers benefit from replacement parts and labor).

Now that our cars are all approaching the 15k mark, those expensive disclaimers are coming home to roost. Suggest an email campaign to Lexus corporate demanding design upgrades that will allow the performance levels to coexist with reasonable wear expectancies.

PS: For those with warped rotors, they should be replaced under warrantee as the disclaimer does not state that warped rotors can be expected because of the performance design of the brakes. All it refers to is wear.
NGG
Old 11-13-06, 11:24 PM
dan206
Pole Position

Default this is nothing new .......

I have had beemer and MB those are the same rotors come so thin stock you can't resurface. depends on how hard you drive sometimes i got 20k out of my brakes on my beemer and it cost me 700 each time replace all pads and rotors... If you guys are so used to the same class cars its no different.. Just learn to not brake so hard and use the manual downshift.
Old 11-14-06, 12:28 PM
hofman_dzn
Driver School Candidate

Just do the brakes yourself. Go get a set of EBC brake pads for less than $100 a set (you'll have less brake dust too!!) and if your rotors are thick enough (check the width with a micrometer), just scotchbrite the rotors and you're done.

Last edited by hofman_dzn; 11-14-06 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 12:44 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

****...for the price of replacing stock rotors you might as well go with stoptech, endless, or project mu BBK. Those rotors are surely made to last
Old 11-14-06, 01:15 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
****...for the price of replacing stock rotors you might as well go with stoptech, endless, or project mu BBK. Those rotors are surely made to last
We should probably hold off on the condemnation on the stock brakes until we get a bigger sample/more input from other owners. One or two reports of early replacement does not a problem make. We also don't have much, if any info on his driving habits, etc. We also don't know if his dealership is just trying to milk him for more $. (I doubt it but you never know.)

With that said, going with an aftermarket BBK will definitely help with wear as the components are much bigger, which increases the heat capacity. The lower you can keep the heat, the longer the components will last.
Old 11-14-06, 01:45 PM
Seattle350
Rookie

Originally Posted by al503
We should probably hold off on the condemnation on the stock brakes until we get a bigger sample/more input from other owners. One or two reports of early replacement does not a problem make. We also don't have much, if any info on his driving habits, etc. We also don't know if his dealership is just trying to milk him for more $. (I doubt it but you never know.)

With that said, going with an aftermarket BBK will definitely help with wear as the components are much bigger, which increases the heat capacity. The lower you can keep the heat, the longer the components will last.
I did mention in an earlier response that I do drive a bit more aggresive than my grand-mom - with 306hp, it should be expected - my point, again, with this post is that I've had performance cars for the last 2 decades and I have not experienced warped rotors at 14.5k miles - to me thats a defect and needs to be replaced under warranty. The IS is my daily driver - used in stop/go traffic - with the occasional 90-100mph hussle.
Old 11-14-06, 02:27 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Seattle350
I did mention in an earlier response that I do drive a bit more aggresive than my grand-mom - with 306hp, it should be expected -
A bit more aggressive than your grandmother isn't terribly descriptive IMHO.

my point, again, with this post is that I've had performance cars for the last 2 decades and I have not experienced warped rotors at 14.5k miles - to me thats a defect and needs to be replaced under warranty. The IS is my daily driver - used in stop/go traffic - with the occasional 90-100mph hussle.
I understand your point and I agree that if they are really warped and not serviceable, then they are probably defective (perhaps improper casting, impurities in the alloy, etc.) even with your stop and go driving.

My point is that people may be getting worked-up/aggravated/worried about an isolated issue. Therefore, I suggested that we wait for more people to put more miles on their cars and see if this is indeed isolated or something that is across the board.

I'm thinking that your lug nuts were improperly torqued (either too tight or with uneven torque.) When I received my car, one of the first things I did was retorque the lugs to spec. They were on way too tight from the factory.

Last edited by al503; 11-14-06 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 02:32 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....I suggested that we wait for more people to put more miles on their cars and see if this is indeed isolated or something that is across the board.
Exactly. 5
Old 11-14-06, 03:29 PM
Seattle350
Rookie

'My point is that people may be getting worked-up/aggravated/worried about an isolated issue. Therefore, I suggested that we wait for more people to put more miles on their cars and see if this is indeed isolated or something that is across the board.'

My intention was not to create any mayhem - like any other public forum, this would be the place to inform other enthusiasts about one's experience - and if others have the exact same issue, then Lexus needs to address it.
About my driving - I'm do drive a bit aggresively - but, here again, I'm not a 16 yo that gases it from every traffic light, then brakes etc. - I will do the occasional 90 mph on a highway.
I take my aggression out on a track - will be tracking my TT - tracked an '04 M3 for the last 2 years.
Old 11-14-06, 03:43 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

My intention was not to create any mayhem - like any other public forum, this would be the place to inform other enthusiasts about one's experience - and if others have the exact same issue, then Lexus needs to address it.

It may not be much solace for you but I do hope your experience is the exception and not the rule.
Old 11-14-06, 04:03 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A bit more aggressive than your grandmother isn't terribly descriptive IMHO.

I understand your point and I agree that if they are really warped and not serviceable, then they are probably defective (perhaps improper casting, impurities in the alloy, etc.) even with your stop and go driving.

My point is that people may be getting worked-up/aggravated/worried about an isolated issue. Therefore, I suggested that we wait for more people to put more miles on their cars and see if this is indeed isolated or something that is across the board.

I'm thinking that your lug nuts were improperly torqued (either too tight or with uneven torque.) When I received my car, one of the first things I did was retorque the lugs to spec. They were on way too tight from the factory.
I agree. Even if the IS350 has so called high performance brakes it shouldn't be deigned to warp rotors that soon. Personally, even though I used high performance brakes on other sports cars I have never warped a rotor before. All my rotors lasted at least 30K and that includes after market rotors. Even my Carbotech Boobcat performance pads on my NSX has about 15K miles on it and has more than half its life left. I just don't see any rotors lasting less than 15K miles unless they were designed purely for track use.

I'm with you about re-torquing the lug nuts. I do that every time I get my car(s) back for service or the dealership. Every single time they are on too tight.
Old 11-14-06, 05:21 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two different conversations here.

1. Should OEM pads last more than 15k; and

2. Rotor warping.

Lexus using performance parts is mutually exclusive to rotor warping. It can happen on any vehicle, at any mileage, for a number of reasons. Nobody is claiming that performance parts equals warped rotors. Warped rotors are the result of incorrectly torqued lugs most of the time, or improperly bedded pads.

Just bringing some clarity to what is quickly becoming a messy conversation.
Old 11-17-06, 08:04 AM
Seattle350
Rookie

Update:-
Lexus Customer service was not able to offer any assistance with the replacement of the rotors - they refer to the fine print about brakes not being covered under warranty - anyway, I'm not going to dwell on this - cut my losses and move on - although I think the IS350 is an awesome car, I've always wanted a stick shift, so this is my opportunity - I was very impressed with the 335i 6-speed sedan - may settle on this over the w/end - my Bimmer dealer says I can expect abt $34k trade-in - spec is in my sig...
I would strongly suggest that someone from this board keeps records of these braking issues - mine is not an isolated incident - read a few over the last few days - and all seem to happen around 15k miles.
Old 11-17-06, 08:50 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Update:-
Lexus Customer service was not able to offer any assistance with the replacement of the rotors - they refer to the fine print about brakes not being covered under warranty - anyway, I'm not going to dwell on this - cut my losses and move on - although I think the IS350 is an awesome car, I've always wanted a stick shift, so this is my opportunity - I was very impressed with the 335i 6-speed sedan - may settle on this over the w/end - my Bimmer dealer says I can expect abt $34k trade-in - spec is in my sig...
I would strongly suggest that someone from this board keeps records of these braking issues - mine is not an isolated incident - read a few over the last few days - and all seem to happen around 15k miles.
Mogen,
I am sorry to hear about all the problems with your car. It is VERY disappointing to hear that Lexus did not step up and take car of the issue. People claim Lexus as the best in terms of customer service, but I have yet to see anything different from the Ford dealership I go to as well.

After seeing several threads about the same issue it seems like this could be a problem with all of our IS's. I don't understand how they design brakes to last less than 1 year. How do they expect customers to shell out $1000 when their car is still basically new? I understand the appeal of the BMW 335i with similar performance, luxury, and the 4-year free maintenance, but its sad to hear you leave the IS. I hope I don't end up in your shoes when I hit 15k sometime early-2007.

Good luck with the new car,
Vik
Old 11-17-06, 08:54 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear about their response.

FWIW, it seems like the other's brake issues are wear related, and not because of the rotors warping.

The owners of the first couple/three years of the G35 (non brembo) experienced extremely quick wear on their brakes. It took a while but Infiniti offered to maintain (replace pads, cut or replace rotors) the brakes for 3yrs/36K miles after many complaints and how much the replacement parts listed at. They even re-imbursed those who had already paid out of pocket before offering this.

If this is the same type of situation, I wonder if Lexus will do the same?

Quick Reply: Brake pads and rotors at 14.6k miles?