Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake and rotors need to be changed IS350 (solution found please read)

Old 11-06-06, 08:47 AM
IS350spBLK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Brake and rotors need to be changed IS350 (solution found please read)

Took my car in to Thompson lexus today because my front passenger side brake has been making some harsh noises when stopping.

So i get a call back and they're telling me that I need new front brakes and rotors, total of 600. I only got 15,000 miles on the car and drive normaly.

They said I need new rotors because these can't be cut since they are high performance and that my brake pads are completely gone, but there has been no sqeaks or no sensors went off, which I was told there were, along with the fact that the salesman said these brakes last up to 40,000 miles.

Am I getting ripped off? with the price and the fact that I need new rotors?

Rotors- 195 a piece, Pads- 89 a pair, Service 120

Should I do it???

Thanks!
Old 11-06-06, 09:05 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

15K miles seems pretty premature, although there are a few things that will ensure that pads wear out quickly, and that's having an automatic transmission, riding your brakes more than necessary, spending a lot of time inching along in stop-n-go traffic, or putting them through the abuse of track sessions (or similar).

I question whether the rotors are "high performance", as your dealership suggests. They tend to like to use that term to describe their products to help justify the enormous cost of dealer-sourced parts, which are actually common, ordinary parts. However, personally I would never turn rotors. If they are warped, or have been worn down to the point where the thickness is no longer within specs, then you replace them. If they're good, then I see no reason to put new rotors on.

I rarely trust dealerships (because they're only out to take your money), yet I have no reason to believe they'd be lying about your pads being gone. If you're not comfortable with changing your own brakes, then I would go ahead and have them install new pads. If they insist that you need new rotors, make them prove why (and "they're high performance" isn't a reason). Have them show you that they're less than the minimum thickness, or warped beyond the maximum runout. If they can't, then brake pads only.

Last edited by ff_; 11-06-06 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-06-06, 09:09 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Take it to a brake shop, don't trust the dealer... Or if you MUST go to a dealer, stop by a Toyota dealership and see what they have to say...
Old 11-06-06, 09:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS350spBLK
Took my car in to Thompson lexus today because my front passenger side brake has been making some harsh noises when stopping.

So i get a call back and they're telling me that I need new front brakes and rotors, total of 600. I only got 15,000 miles on the car and drive normaly.

They said I need new rotors because these can't be cut since they are high performance and that my brake pads are completely gone, but there has been no sqeaks or no sensors went off, which I was told there were, along with the fact that the salesman said these brakes last up to 40,000 miles.

Am I getting ripped off? with the price and the fact that I need new rotors?

Rotors- 195 a piece, Pads- 89 a pair, Service 120

Should I do it???

Thanks!
Get a 2nd opinion. Lexus rotors are NOT drilled or slotted so they can be resurfaced. Your talking to a member that was chatting at a dealer watching as the tech resurfaced the rotors and they were thought to be pretty bad.

Brake job without the rotors should run about $225=-$250 for new pads and resurfacing brakes. (2) Save even more money buying your own pads, many go Axxis (though there is more dust) or EBC greed stuff (google is your friend)
Old 11-06-06, 09:58 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't that be covered by warranty if the brakes died so quickly? Seems like more than just normal wear.
Old 11-06-06, 11:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Wouldn't that be covered by warranty if the brakes died so quickly? Seems like more than just normal wear.
Brakes are not a part of any Lexus warranty or most any companies warranty.
Old 11-06-06, 11:36 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Brakes are not a part of any Lexus warranty or most any companies warranty.
It's part of BMW's
Old 11-06-06, 11:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ff_
It's part of BMW's
Yes, I said "most" companies.
Old 11-06-06, 11:43 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

standard wear items....
Old 11-06-06, 12:11 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the rotors and pads replaced for free almost every 15k on my Acura CL... They kept getting warped... Rotors should NOT need replacing after 15k miles... If they do, tell the dealership to replace them under warranty...
Old 11-06-06, 12:24 PM
IS350spBLK
Driver

I called 3 other Lexus dealers and they thought I was Joking. Theey said they never heard that and it doesn't make any sense. But their prices were still a little too high to replace pads and cut rotors, 339 with out taxes.

So I figured Im going to buy the pads from lexus for 89.99 and go to a local shop toget them on and rotors cut.

I guess this is the final time I went to Thompson, they lied to me before but I still went back, but I think they crossed the line this time.

Thanks for your opinions.
Old 11-06-06, 12:39 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally, I would still opt for new rotors at one of the other dealers ships even if the price is kind of high. My reason is if you wore out your brake pads within 15K miles and warped the rotors, your braking or driving style might be a little aggressive (Usually these items last 50K or more). Turning your rotors is only buying some time on those old rotors and they are prone to warping again much faster than when new. I have a feeling you will find the rotors warping again real soon and will need a new set of rotors anyway. From my point of view, if your new rotors and pads only lasted 15K miles, I can't see turned rotors lasting any longer than that.
Old 11-06-06, 12:47 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Dont go to the dealer.. just come to me!! J/K.

A typical brake job is about $200 including new pads and resurfacing rotors, and that will take care of most noisy brake problems. Of course this will be a good chance to go with aftermarket pads. Use high performance parts like Endless or Brembo, and get rid off the dusty pads from OE!!!
Old 11-06-06, 12:55 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

For what it's worth on my '03 IS300 I had my front brakes replaced and rotors turned 3 times never once paid for this. I always was taken care of by Sewell in Fort Worth TX. They "made a noise" lol no but my point is, it's just going to depend on the dealer, oh by the way when my rear brakes went bad they wouldn't fix them so I got them done at a local Toyota/Lexus center for less than half the dealer cost and never had one problem with the job.
Old 11-06-06, 02:26 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i think it's a defect... 15k.. thats bs if you're saying you drive conservatively .

warped rotors on a new car 15k is pretty crazy if you ask me...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake and rotors need to be changed IS350 (solution found please read)