Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowered the GS, now I have a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 11:31 PM
PIMPALA-SS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered the GS, now I have a question

installed the Tein springs yesterday. car rides GREAT, and i'm very happy with the look (even though i'd like it to be a little lower in the front.

now, im 100% sure that it didnt make this noise before, but now when i hit a bump or dip in the road, and the front suspension compresses, i hear a "click" in the front end.

i know that everything is torqued properly, and there are no lose or worn parts that are VISIBLE. it sounds like a lose strut bolt, or the top of the upper control arm tapping the wheel well, but i cant see any places where anything is rubbing at all.

i searched, and the results are very cluttered with other threads, that i cant tell what is what.

any help?
Old 10-17-06, 11:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

tighten up the strut bolt. I had the same problem. I would hear that same noise whenever i go over a bumpy road.
Old 10-18-06, 12:38 AM
#1gs300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how tight should it be tight to the point where u cant turn anymore because i had the same problem and 1 bolt was loose and i still have the same exact problem
Old 10-18-06, 06:38 AM
PIMPALA-SS
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
tighten up the strut bolt. I had the same problem. I would hear that same noise whenever i go over a bumpy road.

tried that again.

still makes the same noise
Old 10-18-06, 12:17 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by #1gs300
how tight should it be tight to the point where u cant turn anymore because i had the same problem and 1 bolt was loose and i still have the same exact problem
Time to pony up and buy a decent torque wrench before you start stripping bolts under the hood.

DaveC
Old 10-18-06, 10:33 PM
#1gs300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BossGS4
Time to pony up and buy a decent torque wrench before you start stripping bolts under the hood.

DaveC

Just tightened up by my regular hand wrench it made majority of the noise go away.
Old 10-23-06, 05:06 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

my car has this noise too and it did it b4 i installed my tein coilovers
Old 10-23-06, 08:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

maybe it has something to do with the balljoint. I'm changing mine out this weekend since it seems to be the only thing left on my car that could be possibly making noise.
Old 10-23-06, 10:21 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i canged mine too andstill have the noise.. ialso got new upper control arms and lower control arms.. only things left i guess is the end links and sway bar bushings
Old 10-24-06, 09:35 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dust Cover

I had this problem after the install of my Tein flex coilovers! it was determined that the dust covers were crimped and were rubbing against the spring as it coiled! The dust covers were removed and the noise went away! I know the noise your talking about and it drove me crazy trying to figure it out. It's a slight clicking when going over small bumps! If you press on your front end on the side of your car that has the noise,you can hear the clicking. RZ motoring here in Orlando solved the problem for me and I'm a happy camper now! Let me know if this helps!
Old 10-24-06, 05:03 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

Did you drop the upper control arm out to remove the shock? Or did you remove the ball joint and pop it out that way? In anycase, go over ALL the bolts and double check everything to factory TORQUE specs. I had the same problem for a good 2 months and I finally had time to check them and re torqued everything to specs. No more noise, good luck guys
Old 10-25-06, 10:12 PM
PIMPALA-SS
Driver

Originally Posted by wringo
I had this problem after the install of my Tein flex coilovers! it was determined that the dust covers were crimped and were rubbing against the spring as it coiled! The dust covers were removed and the noise went away! I know the noise your talking about and it drove me crazy trying to figure it out. It's a slight clicking when going over small bumps! If you press on your front end on the side of your car that has the noise,you can hear the clicking. RZ motoring here in Orlando solved the problem for me and I'm a happy camper now! Let me know if this helps!

thanks a bunch! im going to try to check that tomorrow, and i'll let you know!
Old 10-26-06, 04:49 PM
PIMPALA-SS
Driver

no help.

dust covers were fine, and out of the way. looked EVERYWHERE for a place that looks like its rubbing, and cant find anything. all ball joints look good, everything torqued to specs.

its driving me NUTS!
Old 10-26-06, 04:53 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

Its kind of off topic but the picture of your car in your sig I take it thats your GS?! If so those are TEIN springs on there?! Did you cut the springs? Cause thats pretty freakin low for some TEIN springs, unless you are running 22" wheels. Very curious...let me know via PM or just post.
Old 10-26-06, 07:26 PM
PIMPALA-SS
Driver

yea, thats it, but i chopped the pic before i actually had the springs on there

Quick Reply: Lowered the GS, now I have a question