Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

emergency brake stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 12:22 PM
lovemygs30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emergency brake stuck

someone please help: my emergency brake is stuck on my 2002 gs300--so i am told. it stops fine, and it only makes a high pitched squeak when i drive slow, or of course slow down, or stop. does this sound like a $550 dollar job. so far i only got one opinion, usually mechanics try to overcharge me because i am a very young woman. i always do my research first, i don't have a problem with $550, only when i feel i am getting screwed. if it is truly a $550 job, i'll pay $550.
Old 10-05-06, 01:37 PM
beecuzwhy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this sounds stupid but have you tried to release the brakes by pulling on the lever ((p)) left of the steering wheel. I have done this myself but if it stuck and needs to be removed mechanically it should bee at the most $300. But at the lexus dealership it may be a little more but i dont know about 550
Old 10-05-06, 02:55 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not going anywhere for a while??

jk - if i were you, i'd check to see where the emergency brake release handle is connected... follow that until you find a link in the process where it's not doing it's job.
Old 10-05-06, 02:58 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This should be near to the task

Removing and replacing the rear rotors, pads and parking brake shoes. (the parking brake is a drum type brake located in the center of the rear brake rotor)

New rear rotors with new rear pads; pads should be replaced at the same time when replacing the rotors.

The parking brake shoes replaced, (new shoe return springs, if needed.)

Replacing the brake fluid by bleeding the brake system

Adjustment of the new parking brake.

These should be the new parts and services involved.

$550 seems fair for a trained service person and the new oem parts.
Old 10-05-06, 03:18 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might want to target just the problem though - giving the mechanic the go ahead to remove/replace everything related to brakes could be money ill spent.

My dad had a mercedes years ago and he took it to a shop and said "fix the undercarriage - it squeaks" hahaa- $4k later, it didn't squeak... for a few thousand miles.
Old 10-05-06, 09:52 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemygs30
someone please help: my emergency brake is stuck on my 2002 gs300--so i am told. it stops fine, and it only makes a high pitched squeak when i drive slow, or of course slow down, or stop. does this sound like a $550 dollar job. so far i only got one opinion, usually mechanics try to overcharge me because i am a very young woman. i always do my research first, i don't have a problem with $550, only when i feel i am getting screwed. if it is truly a $550 job, i'll pay $550.
If you own a car, eventually you will need to take it for repairs. Being young woman and perseived naive may give you the impression that mechanics will chrge you extra, but let me reassure you thst, unscrupleous mechanics will as easily prey on savvy customers.

So the key is to find dependable and trustworty mechanic. The trust will develop over time.

Working under the assumption that you neither know an independant nor the dealership repair facility. ... I would suggest going to the dealership and select an advisor based on reccomendations or personal interview or reccomendation from the service manager. [If you feel comfortable share your concerns with the service manager.]

Why: Dealership will cost you above average labor cost. For parts the independant will come to the dealer (most probably). For the pemium you pay, you are assred that they know youe vehicle better, the drop off and pick up and will be streamlined. You will get itemized bill.

If you find a trust worty competant independant mechanic, you will be able to save some money, but the level of service will be hard to match with the dealership.

Salim