Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Should I put the Daizen Bushings on TRD Sways

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 11:52 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I put the Daizen Bushings on TRD Sways

I'm going to switch sways from Daizen to TRD and wondered if anyone has used
Daizen Sport Tuning
Polyurethane OEM Sway Bar Bushing Kits

Very economically priced upgrade that improves handling noticeably without a full sway bar upgrade. Uses existing OE brackets, sway bars and hardware. Permanent solution to worn rubber bushings. Direct replacement kit services one vehicle and contains front and rear bushings, special synthetic chassis grease and instructions.

Also I read where one member had his sways on upside down for a while.
Does anyone know of a link for installing the TRD Sways.

Thanks
Ivan
3dog
Old 10-03-06, 12:15 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dog
I'm going to switch sways from Daizen to TRD and wondered if anyone has used
Daizen Sport Tuning
Polyurethane OEM Sway Bar Bushing Kits

Very economically priced upgrade that improves handling noticeably without a full sway bar upgrade. Uses existing OE brackets, sway bars and hardware. Permanent solution to worn rubber bushings. Direct replacement kit services one vehicle and contains front and rear bushings, special synthetic chassis grease and instructions.

Also I read where one member had his sways on upside down for a while.
Does anyone know of a link for installing the TRD Sways.

Thanks
Ivan
3dog
First off, why do you even want to switch? TRD makes two different sway bar kits: one is softer than the Daizens, the other is harder and is more of a full race version not particularly suited to a passenger car driven on city streets. Second, I doubt that the proposed use of Daizen bushings with TRD sways will work. Your post isn't entirely clear though, are you planning on switching from Daizen BUSHINGS with OEM sway bars to TRD sway bars or are you changing from Daizen SWAY BARS to TRD? The Daizen OEM replacement bushings are sized to fit the OEM sway bars only, they will not fit on Daizen sway bars or either sizedTRD's as the stiffer bars are larger in diameter than the stock. The Daizen bars come with their own replacement bushings made of the same polyurethane material as the OEM replacement bushings but obviously appropriately sized for the larger diameter sway bars. I don't know what kind of material the TRD bars use for the bushings in their kit. In short, the OEM replacement bushings are too small to use with any of the beefier sized sway bars you mentioned. And the Daizen sway bars already have stiffer bushings of polyurethane rather than the stock rubber. I have used the Daizen replacement bushings on my SC400. I have the Daizen sways on my GS400. I would say the busing replacement made a subtle but noticeable improvement in handling while the sway bar swap made a remarkable improvement. My GS feels like it can run cirlces around the SC. Don't get me wrong, I love both of them, but the GS handles way better and is way faster.
Old 10-03-06, 12:49 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Red face Sways

I want to try the TRD Blue sways.
I presently have the Daizen sways on my car.

It seems like I've heard about people using the Daizen Bushings on the TRD sways but I could be wrong.

This came about because my wife had a Daizen rear sway bar break She took the car into a dealer who put a stock rear sway bar on her car. Well the car drives like ***** now with stock rear sway and Daizen front. I came up with the idea of switching my car to TRD and taking my Daizen rear sway and putting it on her car. So I bought a rear TRD sway from a guy on CL and ordered a front TRD sway from Swell in Dallas.

So today, in fact just a a short time ago I get a e-mail from Daizen saying they will actually replace the rear sway. I had e-mailed them like 10 days ago and did not hear anything so I was trying to come up with my own solution when I saw the TRD rear sway for sale on Club Lexus.

So now my dilema is do I go ahead and change over the sways on my car. Dollar wise it would be foolish. I've already spent over $500 to just get the TRD sways. I guess I can send the front one back to Sewell and try to sell the rear one on CL where I bought it. Maybe I should just keep the front one and try to sell them as a set.

The other part of the thing is I love for the car to be stiff. I have a set of JIC Magic coilovers on and have them set at max setting . Wife hates it but I like to be flat in corners and no bounce.

At this point I will probably just leave the Daizens on my car, and try to sell the TRD's as a set.

I'm frustrated right now but it will work out.
Ivan
3dog
Old 10-03-06, 01:13 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Can't believe that the dealer put a stock sway bar on a car that had an after market stiffer sway bar on the other axle. As you discovered, this creates a very unstable handling situation when the sway bars on the front and rear are not properly balanced with respect to one another. I would think they (the dealer) could have had a liability exposure if the unmatched sway bars had contributed to an accident due to unstable handling. They should have either replaced both or neither or used a properly matched bar for the broken one. There have been extensive discussions in the past about the merits of one brand of sway bar vs another. Everyone has an opinion. My feeling is, stiffer is not always better. Depending on other factors and components, going too stiff can actually be counter-productive to good handling response. If you want to get some expert opinion on suspension set-up and tuning, try contacting Double Whoosh (Tod M.) at TM Engineering. He is a sponsor on this site and posts as well. A great source of knowlege and inormation about suspension matters. Also a good source for parts and service. (No, I do not get a cut for endorsements).
Old 10-03-06, 01:26 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default Sways

The wife was leaving on a short trip to Oregon and took the car in to get an alignment. They called me and told me about the sway bar and I told them the front and rear were both aftermarket sways and I was concerned about mixing the two. Service guy told me the the Lexus Sway was a high quality product.

Well wife ended up taking the loaner on her trip which is a good thing. I drove her car Sunday and cannot believe how crappy it drives. Like you I'm sure the dealership would be facing some legal problems if there was an accident.

The Stock Rear Sway parts and labor were something like $540. I guess I will be writing a letter to the dealership pretty soon and asking for a refund. Yeah good luck with that one

The replacement Daizen Sway is actually coming from TM Engineering

Hey Thanks for the input.

I think I will leave the Daizen Sways on my car and I'm glad they stood behind their product.
Old 10-03-06, 08:41 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3dog
The wife was leaving on a short trip to Oregon and took the car in to get an alignment. They called me and told me about the sway bar and I told them the front and rear were both aftermarket sways and I was concerned about mixing the two. Service guy told me the the Lexus Sway was a high quality product.

Well wife ended up taking the loaner on her trip which is a good thing. I drove her car Sunday and cannot believe how crappy it drives. Like you I'm sure the dealership would be facing some legal problems if there was an accident.

The Stock Rear Sway parts and labor were something like $540. I guess I will be writing a letter to the dealership pretty soon and asking for a refund. Yeah good luck with that one

The replacement Daizen Sway is actually coming from TM Engineering

Hey Thanks for the input.

I think I will leave the Daizen Sways on my car and I'm glad they stood behind their product.
I've heard of an end-link snapping (Tod can tell you he's seen it) and I personally experienced an end link that came loose (NOT on the car Tod worked on)when the bolt fell off, but have never heard of a sway bar breaking. Seems like the end-link which is much smaller calibre would fail first. At any rate, it seems like a slam-dunk that the dealership would be eager to correct an unsafe situation that was of their making before anything untoward happened. That price sounds high as well. As I recall, I bought my complete set of Daizen sways, front & rear, for about $500 and Tod installed them for free.

Last edited by DetMich1; 10-03-06 at 08:43 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-03-06, 09:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DetMich1
I personally experienced an end link that came loose (NOT on the car Tod worked on)when the bolt fell off, but have never heard of a sway bar breaking.
Seems like I'm not the only one

What did you do to keep it on? Weld it? lol. I have so many spare nuts from lexus just because mine keeps on falling out.
Old 10-03-06, 10:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

daizen bushings on trd sways?! they don't even fit.... they are all of different diameters
Old 10-03-06, 11:28 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

First of all. I've mixed and matched Daizen, TRD, and Stock bars. Just to experiment. There is really no dangerous handling situations if you mix any of them under NORMAL driving. Obvioulsy, when you start to gun it thru the corners and such, the unbalanced sways will give you some screwy handling. Personally, I ran TRD rear and stock front, stock rear and TRD front. Daizen rear and TRD front, TRD rear and Daizen front. Hell, I've even ran for a week with no front sway when my end link bent in half . They were all manageable with a few setups oversteering or understeering too much but not too badly. Note that this only happens at high speeds. Under normal street driving there is pretty much no effect since you're really not putting that much stress on the bars at low speeds. Honestly, I don't think your wife is going to be carving the corners or going 45+ mph thru a turn...so it's not too big of a deal to mix and match bars until you have time/money to get a full replacement. So long as you arent gunning the corners.

Originally Posted by GSteg

What did you do to keep it on? Weld it? lol. I have so many spare nuts from lexus just because mine keeps on falling out.
Mine came loose a few times as well. Afterwards, I just torque the hell out of it and use some loctite red. It will keep the nut on there pretty good. Only way to remove it will be with a high power impact gun.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 10-03-06 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 09:15 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg

Same happend to me with TRD rear sway bar, I recomend you to buy Self-locking nuts (with teflon inserts) That's going to be your last trip for nuts, you can find them at ACE Hardware stores or many other. It cost me $0.70 Each. Very important thing to remeber: Nuts must have proper threading, that means METRIC ONLY

Also, make sure that end link thread is not stripped already, if it is, you'll have to replace end link with self-locking nut at the same time

Good luck and enjoy your TRD sways
- Jake
Old 10-04-06, 04:34 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Mix and match sways

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
First of all. I've mixed and matched Daizen, TRD, and Stock bars. Just to experiment. There is really no dangerous handling situations if you mix any of them under NORMAL driving. Obvioulsy, when you start to gun it thru the corners and such, the unbalanced sways will give you some screwy handling. Personally, I ran TRD rear and stock front, stock rear and TRD front. Daizen rear and TRD front, TRD rear and Daizen front. Hell, I've even ran for a week with no front sway when my end link bent in half . They were all manageable with a few setups oversteering or understeering too much but not too badly. Note that this only happens at high speeds. Under normal street driving there is pretty much no effect since you're really not putting that much stress on the bars at low speeds. Honestly, I don't think your wife is going to be carving the corners or going 45+ mph thru a turn...so it's not too big of a deal to mix and match bars until you have time/money to get a full replacement. So long as you arent gunning the corners.

Mine came loose a few times as well. Afterwards, I just torque the hell out of it and use some loctite red. It will keep the nut on there pretty good. Only way to remove it will be with a high power impact gun.
I got this message from Todd at TM Engineering last night
I thought I would share it with you guys.

"Basically in a nutshell:

You can have any front sway bar on the car, with no rear sway bar.

In order from soft to stiff, none->stock->Daizen->TRD

Obviously the sway bars are matched, front and rear, between any of the
three brands

You can have a stiffer front bar in relation to the front, but not a stiffer
rear.

So...

FRONT/REAR

Stock/stock OK

Stock/Daizen NOT OK

Stock/TRD NOT OK

Daizen/Daizen OK

Daizen/stock OK

Daizen/TRD NOT OK

TRD/any-rear OK

Any-front/no-rear-bar OK

Basically the non-ideal but acceptable combinations above will just have
more understeer than normal. The car will plow a little more, but the rear
will not try to come around. Completely safe though, just not all the great
handling.

Too much rear bar in relation to the front will make the rear try to come
around - this is a dangerous situation."

He said that it would of been okay to just drive my wifes car without any rear sway. According to his chart haveing Daizen Front and Stock Rear is okay. Well from trying that out myself Sunday I would not recommend that set up

Ivan
3dog