Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Where should I go from here...?
keep what I have and add upgraded sway bars
100.00%
replace what I have with Flex coilovers
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

L-Sportline Springs & KYB GR-2- need others input

Old 10-01-06, 04:43 PM
GSV8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L-Sportline Springs & KYB GR-2- need others input

I have spent a bunch of time searching this site and have learned a lot but....
Could I get some input from the seasoned vets...
Other than the aforementioned upgrades to suspension I have urethane bushings for the stock bars. My car still feels uneasy at highway speeds and leans quite a bit in the curves. Should I stick with would I have and add sways and if so - TRD or Daizen? Should I go to Coilovers like other said they wish they would after going with individual components? I am looking for an 8 in the handling department.

Thanks all~
Gerard
Old 10-01-06, 05:21 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a brakes and suspension subsection. They have a very good informative sticky on the shocks/springs vs. coilovers.
Old 10-01-06, 05:28 PM
GSV8
Driver

Ok - I added a poll to get some opinions.
Your answer and additional thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by GSV8; 10-04-06 at 04:40 PM. Reason: making thread more to the point.
Old 10-04-06, 04:42 PM
GSV8
Driver

Smile

bump ^^bump
Old 10-05-06, 08:32 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Well I was gonna start a new thread, but I'll add to yours so more people can answer.

I don't see much market for GS400 shocks. The only ones I see are the KYB GR-2 crap. It's nonadjustable, and people say it's the same stiffness as stock. I also hear there's the Bilstein, but I don't see it anywhere. Also are the Bilstein even adjustable?

What aftermarket shocks are there available for the GS400? I'm just looking something to combo with the aftermarket springs. Coilovers too expensive for my ***. I don't feel like dumping massive money into a "stock" car.
Old 10-06-06, 09:19 AM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

I have been toying with the idea myself. I think I might go with Eibach/Bilstein sp. I think Bilstein is firmer KYB and that's ok with me.
Old 10-06-06, 09:24 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Are the Bilstein adjustable?
Old 10-06-06, 10:21 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mikevanle
Are the Bilstein adjustable?
Adjustable as far as what, height or damper?
Old 10-06-06, 10:23 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Damper I guess. On the Supra, Bilstein = Koni

Koni have 4 adjustable stiffness settings, and they also have this "perch" which you can adjust the height with. There's 2 perch settings.

But for the most part, the springs is what does the height adjustment.

I was just wondering how much more stiffness these shocks provide over stock. I want to determine whether it's even worth getting aftermarket shocks, or just adding springs on top of the stock shocks.
Old 10-07-06, 09:33 AM
GSV8
Driver

Originally Posted by mikevanle
Damper I guess. On the Supra, Bilstein = Koni

Koni have 4 adjustable stiffness settings, and they also have this "perch" which you can adjust the height with. There's 2 perch settings.

But for the most part, the springs is what does the height adjustment.

I was just wondering how much more stiffness these shocks provide over stock. I want to determine whether it's even worth getting aftermarket shocks, or just adding springs on top of the stock shocks.
Hey Mike,
Thanks for jumping back in on this thread. From what I have read, installing aftermarket springs that are stiffer than stock springs with stock shocks/struts, is not advisable. The shock/strut will work too hard and will fail to do their job much earlier than they should than if properly mated to the correct spring. Which is why coilovers are recommended b/c the 2 components are designed in harmony. I really like this car and want to mike it ride awesome. Yes you will spend more for the coilovers but I am starting to see the reason to bite the bullet. You said you don't want to spend the money on a "stock" car. The way I see it the stock GS400 with 17s handles ok, but with a well tuned suspension would handle with some prominent cars. I love the engine in the 400, now just want to make it handle. The other advantage to the coilovers is the adjustability. I want about an inch tops for drop. This is to minimize tire wear and ultimately tire noise, which evolves in time. My Lsportlines dropped in a little too much for my liking in the rear compared to the front. I was hoping to have some of the experienced suspension folks to see this thread and add their 25 cents worth.
As you can guess I am leaning towards biting it and going to coilovers. From what I have experienced and have read, the Eibach springs and bilstein HDs may be a nice compromise between ride quality and handling. So if you were looking for close to stock than go with KYB and some Ltuned springs.