Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

End link bent in half....lol what a piece.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 07:44 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default End link bent in half....lol what a piece.

I went under my car today to pull out my ABS/VSS sensor. The wire got cut in half when I had the TRD bar installed upside down. BTW: I resoldered the wire and it's fixed now

Anyways, back on topic....while I was down there I noticed that the end link was bent in half! Looks like I was having a little TOO much fun with the TRD sways lol. Since I don't want too much downtime, I'm just going to order a replacement. Anyone know where the cheapest place to get one at and how much?

My project will be to beef up the end-link Since the end-link is busted anyway, I'm going to take it to my friends machine shop. First I gotta bend the endlink straight, then I'm thinking of getting a thick steel tube and TIG weld it to the end link. Triple the thickness of the pencil thick rod of the stock end-link. Hopefully the "upgraded" piece will be able to withstand my driving style

Update: I went under there and snapped a pic.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 09-23-06 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-22-06, 08:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I've always been working on trying to find a machine shop to fabricate a much stronger endlink. So far no such luck.

The rear endlink looks much easier to fabricate than the front one though.
Old 09-22-06, 08:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

If you are wanting to make custom parts. It's much better to know the people at the machine shop rather than walk in as a customer. You get to go in the back and experiment yourself rather than paying someone at the shop $$$ to do it. I'll see how it goes and all. I'm going to be heading up there next week, hopefully I can finish it by then
Old 09-22-06, 10:12 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carson is your best bet for the end links. wow, you were able to fix the abs wire? was it hard?
Old 09-22-06, 10:26 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Repairing the cable isn't as hard as some of you guys made it out to be. I thought I was going to be dealing with some hair thin 30-40gauge wire, which I can repair. Instead when I cut it open, it was 16 or 18 gauge wire which was a cakewalk for me. If you have semi skilled soldering abilities then repairing the ABS sensor wire shouldn't be a biggie. I guess the biggest challenge is to find where the wire broke inside all that insulation. Luckily for me there was a tear in the insulation so it was pretty obvious where the break was.
Old 09-22-06, 10:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Come to think of it, I've also been thinking of cutting off the toothpick and welding a thicker solid tube on it. The only thing is, I dont know if the welds will be strong enough.

I think i'm going to try this next weekend. I'm gonig to find myself a tig welder and some nice metal tube
Old 09-22-06, 10:40 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Come to think of it, I've also been thinking of cutting off the toothpick and welding a thicker solid tube on it. The only thing is, I dont know if the welds will be strong enough.

I think i'm going to try this next weekend. I'm gonig to find myself a tig welder and some nice metal tube
I'm actually going to keep the toothpick on there rather than cut it off. Then get a piece of steel milled out to the right shape. That way it will surround the toothpick on 3 sides. Then weld the crap out of all of it lol. Just gota make sure it doesn't get too hot and let it cool down between welds. Don't want to melt the rubber boot or boil the grease inside it.
Old 09-22-06, 10:40 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Anybody have a pic of the end link your talking about? If this is a problem for some, Im just curious what it is your talking about. Heck, my brother is a magician with metal. He has a 1980 scout he built for running in the mohave desert, and i was amazed at all his work. That damn scout was indestructible. I can get his advice on how to solve your guys problem if you would like, just let me know.
Old 09-22-06, 10:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

http://replacement.autopartswarehous...0Link&dp=false

here you go. Now you can see why it sucks so bad? lol.
Old 09-22-06, 11:02 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Wow, that is flimsy looking. Im guessing its the rod (tube?) going between the two ends.
Old 09-22-06, 11:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

yup. I found a welder in my area. Going to find myself used endlink to experiement with. The endlinks are the only reasons why I haven't pushed my car. I fear one day it will snap on a hard turn and I'll lose control of my car.

I'm interested in what jefftsai can do to the endlinks. I've been pondering about this for a long time. Just hadn't thought of frabricating it because I didn't think they'll break, but I guess jefftsai's endlinks were enough just to get my project started
Old 09-23-06, 07:55 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff, that is interesting that you bent your end-link. I know when I installed my Daizen sways I could not believe how thin that connecting link was. I was wondering how you can connect this super thick, super strong sway bar to those thin, tiny end links. Oh well, I figured if anyone would test the strength of those it would be you .
Old 09-25-06, 04:10 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, I just went to my friends machine shop today. I put the bent part of the endlink under a 5 ton hydrualic press and the rod is relatively straight again lol. Anyways, in a week or so, my friend and I are going to fabricate a custom endlink. It's gonna be a block of steel milled out for the stock endlink to sit in. Then I'm going to weld the hell out of everything lol. I'll be the guinea pig to see how my upgraded endlinks hold up. For those of you who know me, I think you will agree that my driving habits will be a good test run for these new links
Old 09-28-06, 11:29 AM
GSteg
Rookie

I just checked my endlinks. It's bent also. lol. Damn POS design I tell you. Why they couldn't design their suspension like other cars? who knows..
Old 09-28-06, 02:14 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Repairing the cable isn't as hard as some of you guys made it out to be. I thought I was going to be dealing with some hair thin 30-40gauge wire, which I can repair. Instead when I cut it open, it was 16 or 18 gauge wire which was a cakewalk for me. If you have semi skilled soldering abilities then repairing the ABS sensor wire shouldn't be a biggie. I guess the biggest challenge is to find where the wire broke inside all that insulation. Luckily for me there was a tear in the insulation so it was pretty obvious where the break was.

This should be put somewhere so other mem bers can see it

Quick Reply: End link bent in half....lol what a piece.