Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS300 squealing

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 12:28 PM
TurboSat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS300 squealing

Hi all,

I'm new to this site, but not to working on cars, but this problem with my 01 IS300 has me stumped.

I was getting the constant squealing while driving thinking it was the wear tab on the front pads. I knew the pads were really low, so I got new pads and rotors. I had to replace just the pads and turn the stock rotors since my new rotors took forever to ship and it needed new pads bad.

Well, even with the new pads it still squealed. It started at about 20 MPH up to 40 MPH where the wind noise with the window down is louder than the squeal. It does it even without my foot on the brake, and the tone doesn't change when I do step on the brakes. So I figured maybe for some reason one of the shims was rubbing on the rotor.

When I got my new rotors I took it apart again and checked for anything rubbing but there was nothing. I thought maybe the pads were just vibrating in the shims on the bracket so I lubed the sliding points up too. I took it for a drive with the new rotors and no squeal. Hmmm. The next day I noticed the squeal again, but I noticed it only started after driving it for a bit, like whatever it is has to warm up.

It really sounds like a piece of thin tin riding across the rotor as it's turning, but there's nothing there touching it. Anyone ever hear of this problem or had a problem like it? I'm hoping it's not a wheel bearing but I've never had a wheel bearing make a noise like this. It's not super loud, but loud enough to hear while driving slow, especially when driving next to a break wall at 40. The "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" is really annoying.

Thanks,

Nate

Last edited by TurboSat; 09-14-06 at 12:50 PM. Reason: To add my signature
Old 09-17-06, 03:59 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Do you have a 5 spd manual by any chance?

I am asking because the symptoms you described point towards a faulty clutch release bearing.
Old 09-18-06, 05:30 PM
TurboSat
Driver School Candidate

No, it's an e-shift. It's not engine speed specific, it's wheel speed specific.

Usually release bearings start to rattle and chirp. This is a constant "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" above 20 MPH, just like the wear tabs on the pads normally sound like.

Nate
Old 11-13-10, 05:43 PM
harperc
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever find an answer to this problem? I'm having the same issue.

UPDATE: Not long after this post, I went and got my brakes checked. They told me I was in bad need of replacing by rear brakes, which I thought odd since I didn't hear any noise whenever I applied my brakes. Still, I got it done and the issue was resolved...THE END.

Last edited by harperc; 06-04-11 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 09:47 AM
ls3hundo
Driver School Candidate

Me tooo'
! Just put drilled and slotted with new pAds on because the old ones were warped and now I get worse mpg and it squeals after a little bit but goes away when I touch the brake pedal
Old 04-19-11, 10:00 PM
turbobee
Driver School Candidate

Default squealing

hey guys i have a 2001 is300 with 138k miles on it

ive been getting this same ****ing squeal for the past 2 months now too....its coming from my right side and thats all i figured out. anyone of you figure it out yet??????

some suggest it may be the tranny...but im thinking maybe a driveshaft????

let me know if you guys figure something out...its pissing me off

i think i might have someone drive the car on a street and ill follow on a bike or skateboard and try to narrow it down
Old 08-25-11, 10:09 AM
dyldough
Driver School Candidate

i have the same squeal and i put high heat lube on the pad ends. using high heat will last longer than liquid wrench and all those spray lubes. try putting that high heat lube. i forget what its called.
Old 08-30-11, 12:45 PM
evan2k
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

could be the wheel bearing... i had the same sound on my right side and got it replaced and now its gone, and now im hearing it on the left side, my car has alot of miles so its due for a maintance and replacement
Old 06-09-12, 02:06 PM
503ISthree
Driver School Candidate

yeah mine has the same squeel on the right side too! i replaced my left bearing and my brakes at the same time and although it fixed those it still has a squeel that i thought was apart of the bad bearing but the bad bearing was only on the left side not the right side.
Old 06-11-12, 10:22 AM
evan2k
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 503ISthree
yeah mine has the same squeel on the right side too! i replaced my left bearing and my brakes at the same time and although it fixed those it still has a squeel that i thought was apart of the bad bearing but the bad bearing was only on the left side not the right side.
since i worked at the toyota dealership i threw it in the service department, they said i needed oem brake pads with oem rotors non slotted.
Old 08-25-12, 06:09 AM
iTzJu
Driver School Candidate

I just recently bought my 2002 IS300 and this issue started happening when I replaced the tires. It is only when I make a right turn. I checked all the rotors, replaced all the pads and lubed them. This noise is driving me nuts. It sounds like its coming from the rear but at this point it could be at the front. the previous owner installed slotted and drilled rotors and poorly painted the calipers. I also had to change the tires because the previous owner had different tire size all around. he was mixing 235/45 with 215/40 randomly around the car. could that have messed up anything?
Old 10-16-12, 08:00 PM
Deluxeis
Driver School Candidate

I have a 04 is300 i thought it was the rotors so i resurface them and the pads look good so i didnt replace them! The noice is still there! I think im gonna get some new drill slotted rotors wit some new pads and lets see how it goes from there!
Old 10-12-15, 04:53 AM
AltezzaDan
Driver School Candidate

im having the same issue . Its pissing me off. when i drive it squeaks , i could be in park and itll squeak . i noticed when i hit the gas it squeaks on idle between 500rpms but this noise is decieving and it sounds like its coming from the back. Why would it start when i accelerate on park tho? any ideas? i figure this may be messing up my MPG. im getting horrible gas mileage.

Last edited by AltezzaDan; 10-12-15 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 04:53 AM
AltezzaDan
Driver School Candidate

could it be my powersteering pump or serpentine belt ? would these be options?
Old 10-15-15, 09:09 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AltezzaDan
could it be my powersteering pump or serpentine belt ? would these be options?
I had squeaks at very low speeds and this part failed. It turned out to be serpentine belt tensioner. That wasn't fun. Change out the serpentine belt while you're at it too

Quick Reply: IS300 squealing