Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I miss my BMW Sport Suspension - parts needed for '02 GS430

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 03:09 PM
MJK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I miss my BMW Sport Suspension - parts needed for '02 GS430

Hi All,

I just traded my BMW for a GS430. On all respects but 3, I am extremely happy with the trade. Gas milage is fine, I knew about that. I miss my manual, but I can live with that too. However, the suspension on my GS430 makes this thing feel like a yacht. It only has 39K, so I don't think it is worn out..

Regardless, I want the feel of my old car back in this one. If possible, I would love to change only the shocks and springs to get the handlng back. Any recommendations here? I haave read a TON on this, and have franky feel like I have option overload. Tein CS? Bilstein PSS? They seem like overkill since I don't really care about height adjustability. Bilstein HDs on stock springs? Eibach/Bilstein? What is Ltuned and Diazen - I never heard of them as I am a first time Lexus owner here (historically Acura & BMW).

I LOVE the car, and would really appreciate some pointers here. I really want a sportier suspension - not ultra sport as this is mainly going to be a commuter and freeway cruiser but something that is a great compromise. I really hate to say it this way, but something EXACTLY like the BMW sport suspension. It was responsive, tight, fun and not overly harsh. I felt really connected to the road. The lexus by comparison is a far better automobile, but not something I ENJOY the act of driving in. It is too insulated/pillowy.

Any suggesions here? I would really appreciagte some advive from anyone who has travelled a similar road. Thanks all!

Mark
Old 09-10-06, 03:09 PM
LexFather

Tein CS and EDFC for the win!
Old 09-10-06, 03:14 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Definitely with the EDFC so you can stiffen the coilovers from inside the car. You might find yourself needing more than just coilovers. Sway bars and a strut bar should also be considered but, get the coilovers first and go from there.
Old 09-10-06, 03:17 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Join the club... I miss it too...
Old 09-10-06, 03:28 PM
MJK
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I really want a set and forget type thing, so if I got the Tein CS I would skip the EFDC. You still think that is the right way to go?
Old 09-10-06, 07:41 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MJK
I really want a set and forget type thing, so if I got the Tein CS I would skip the EFDC. You still think that is the right way to go?
You could do that but its recommended that you get the EDFC incase you want to change the soft/hard settings in a second .
Old 09-10-06, 08:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MJK
I have driven 540 sports, 540 manuals and 540 non sports. I have let those owners drive my modded GS 400. The main agreement was the Lexus steering even with the L-tuned ECU was just not as involved as the BMW. As for handling, I did not have Tein CS but they are the real deal. I did have TRD sways/ springs/shocks and braces and the GS handled tighter than a stock 540, it was obvious.

I recommened the EDFC b/c people mount it for a factory look and you can adjust the harshness from 1-16 (I think its 16) at the touch of finger and you CAN tell the difference. You can drive comfy to work or press a button and have it adjust for you. Simply the best of both worlds!

I am nearly certain I am going with this setup for my GS 430.
Old 09-11-06, 04:06 PM
MJK
Rookie

Cool, thanks for the advice 1sicklex.

If I am reading the shopping list correctly, you would get Tein CS, TRD sways, TRD races and Ltuned ECU? An particular order you would do those in?

'preciate the advice!
Old 09-11-06, 04:55 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJK
Cool, thanks for the advice 1sicklex.

If I am reading the shopping list correctly, you would get Tein CS, TRD sways, TRD races and Ltuned ECU? An particular order you would do those in?

'preciate the advice!
Slow down......Get one item at the time, see how you like it,than move on with your purchase's. You still don't know what the level of upgrades is good enough, read some older threads/posts, enrich your knowledge and make right decision
Old 09-11-06, 06:12 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

German made suspension... German ride and handeling... Bilstein PSS

Old 09-11-06, 06:15 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

I would say that the CS is the way to go for what your looking for. I have read and read on this board and have heard the CS set up right with the correct sways and bushings brings the handling and feel inline with an M5. This is what I have heard and have never driven an M5 so I cant be too defined on this comparison, but would state it seems like the way to go.

I have an 02 and will be adding CS in about a week or so. Then will move on to the next piece one thing at a time.

In terms of the EDFC, I have heard that most set it, make 3-4 adjustments within the first month or two of owning to get the feel just right and then set it and forget it. But some people like to play and adjust at a moments notice. I wont be getting the EDFC because I am afraid that I will spend all of the money to purchase and install and will have to justify by playing with the ride constantly.

What ever you do, let the springs settle by driving about 1-2 weeks and then decide on setting the damper after the settling process. That is if you go with the CS that is.

Good luck and let us know what you do.
Old 09-12-06, 11:10 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

OK, here's my input.

First of all, I got to drive my brother-in-law 's 745 on a couple long ride on the freeway. At the end of the trip, my neck and back were sore, just not used to it. It was a little punishing where the freeway was choppy. Other than those conditions, the ride was great . However I've been so used to the lexus ride.

My first suspension mod was putting in bilstein sp (not the hd) with stock springs and 18's with 245/40 tires. The ride was much better than stock, body roll reduced, firmer feel. That was b/c I didn't change out the springs and liked the slow recoil/rebound/kind of floaty feel.

One strut leaked so I was thinking of bilsteins pss since they were comparable to the german car feel and plus I thought it was time to lower the car a bit.

I've been reading that the teins cs were very close to stock which I like so bought that instead.

Summary:
Coming from a bmw and esp. the sport package, DON'T get the teins cs. It's pretty soft even on the stiffest setting.

I think you're better off with the bilsteins pss. Contact todd at tmengineering.
Last time Todd quoted me a price that was way cheaper than shox.com, and plus he's a vendor. I bought the teins cs from him instead.

If you don't want to spend that much, you should then look into bilsteins sp with eibachs, both german suspensions. However, I think eibachs drop is conservative, about 1".

Better yet, find members with different setups so you can get a feel for each one.

And SWAY BARS are a MUSt! You're probably better off with TRD (toyota racing development) instead of the Daizen sways (softer).

There you have it. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 09-12-06 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-14-06, 04:34 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if I had to do this all over. I would probably go with firmer coilovers, like PSS or Tein Flex. I guess many people on this forum like this pillowy/Lexus ride and that is whay Tein CS are suggested, but I think people that like BMW like feel, go with Eibach/Bilstein Sport or Bilstein PSS. I made a mistake and went with Tein CS v2 from Todd, and now have them for a month now. When I got CS installed I also changed out tie rods, ball joints and got Daizen Control Arm Bushings installed. The ride is better then stock, handles better, still soft but not stock soft, but coming also from E46 BMW, I would like to have more road feel and less body lean. So I think Tein CS would be more of BMW like feel then CS. If I decide to keep my car, I would get TRD sways and not Daizen and see how I like it then. My GS is currently for sale in classifieds.
Also my friend has A6 2.7T with sport package on 17" BBS wheels and took a ride on my car and liked my ride better and it handled way better then his and leaned less then his. But from reading CL threads, to make GS feel like BMW M5 you will have see what Lexforlife or DaveGS4 did with their cars. Tein Flex or Bilstein PSS with full suspension upgrades like sways, lower and upper braces, Tom' links (would be my last mod), etc.. good luck
Old 09-18-06, 07:08 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Im thinking about going Tein CS as wel only because I drive in the unforgiving streets of chicago where pot-holes are everywhere. To the people that have Bilstein PSS and what not how does it ride over bumps and pot-holes?
Old 09-21-06, 12:20 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd start with springs & shocks, then move on to sway bars if you want a more sporty feel.

I have the H&R coilovers in my 2K GS 400 and they are fabulous. H&R uses Bilstein dampers and application-specific springs to make this all happen. The ride is a bit more sporty, with great compression and terrific rebound control. The car has none on of the extra 'bounce' that the OE suspension had... hit a big dip, the car goes up and over and settles down immediately.

I later added the Daizen front & rear sway bars and the car feels awesome with the whole combination. I just drove a 550i Sport and subjectively I'd say the GS with my suspension set-up rides a little better and doesn't give up anything in the handling department to the BMW. The BMW does have 'active' sway bars which give nice initial flatness in turns, but I like the way a conventional sway bar allows for a little more weight transfer when entering a turn.

I'd say that if Lexus had an "M" type sports division, they would have set the GS up like my car is in terms of ride and feel.

* Lower center of gravity= good
* Lowered car with coilovers= good; height adjustment and less chance of suspension bottoming than a traditional spring/shock combo
* Daizen rear bar is three-way adjustable= good

A proper set of wheels & tires will liven the car up quite a bit, too!

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 09-21-06 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: I miss my BMW Sport Suspension - parts needed for '02 GS430