Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2IS Japan-Spec Tein CS/new EDFC review!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 12:43 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 2IS Japan-Spec Tein CS/EDFC controller/Tanabe Medallion Touring reviews!!! (updated)

I got my Tein CS finally installed and all I can say is.... It's freakin' AMAZING

I'm not an expert at doing reviews, but hope this helps...

The Tein CS feels the same, if not WAY BETTER than the factory suspension. I thought the factory suspension was good, but now that I have the Tein I can tell you that the factory one is "bouncy" whereas the Tein keeps the smooth ride without bouncing too much.

I took my car for a ride in a curvy and bumpy road to see how it would perform and it amazed me. The car had very little body roll and even when going through the bumps and hills, it remained quiet. I did all this with the EDFC set at level 7 (out of 16 levels in which 16 is the softest). On the highway, the feel was excellent and the ride was smooth and quiet. The Infiniti tech who installed my coilovers is a "Tein connoisseiur/freak" and said that this new incarnation of the CS far surpasses the older version CS in terms of ride quality, handling and overall performance.

Tein recently redesigned their EDFC controller and motors as many of you already know. Tein made the motors smaller for their latest incarnation of the EDFC. The motors fit well in the IS, although the ones on the rear create a small, unnoticeable bump that can be observed through the trunk if you try hard to look for them. The motors are very quiet and you only hear a quick, soft whirr of the motor when adjusting the damper levels if the car is stationary, you have the radio off, and you really stop and listen for it, otherwise the motor sound is unnoticeable.

The EDFC can be adjusted while driving and the response is instantaneous, as you can feel the difference of the soft/stiff settings immediately if you start "playing around" with them. The EDFC has a total of 16 settings for the dampers where 16 is the softest and 0 the stiffest. Tein added a feature in which you can modify the EDFC to break those settings down even more to a total of 32, making the damper settings even more precise for those who want more adjustability in their coilovers.

The Tein controller unit is the same size as before, but now is black in color (the older version was silver). The controller allows you to record 3 custom EDFC settings to make adjusting while driving easier. The controller also features a dimming capability when you turn your lights at night to facilitate the reading of the screen and reduce eye fatigue. The EDFC controller display is small, but it's bright and sharp enough to make it easy to read. Tein also made the EDFC controls intuitive, so even a kid can use it without ever having to consult a manual.

I give the Tein CS and new EDFC an A+++ for these awesome products. Definitely a must buy and worth every extra penny I spent to have it delivered from Japan to the US

***Updates***

I know there's a couple of Tanabe Medallion Touring reviews out there, but here's mine

The Tanabe exhaust is for people who want the car to look aesthetically better and have a bit of exhaust sound. The exhaust has a high quality build, and a nice polished finish. Tanabe's round exhaust tips fill in the bumper exhaust opening better than the OEM ones whether you have the OEM body kit or not. For those with the body kit, the exhaust tips will be somewhat flushed and will not stick out as much as the OEM exhaust tips do... there's nothing wrong with that as it still looks good, but I wish Tanabe built a version with longer exhaust tips for those of us with the body kit.

In terms of sound, the Tanabe didn't dissapoint me, but I was expecting a bit more of sound. When you start the engine, you can notice the difference of the exhaust sound for a quick second and then it goes silent. When you accelerate, you can hear the exhaust hum, but it's nothing ricey or extremely loud. Just so you get an idea, the OEM exhaust is at approximately 89db; according to Tanabe's website, this exhaust is at 93db, so as you can see, it's just a tad bit louder. While driving, you can hear a slight hum from the exhaust, but it's nothing that will disturb a conversation with someone or whatever tunes your listening to. Tanabe definitely fulfills their promise of providing a high-quality build, quiet exhaust which looks good and provides a nice, distinctive sound for those looking for something different. I definitely recommend this exhaust!! Tanabe gets an A+++ from me. STAY AWAY from buying this exhaust if you want something loud or even G-35ish, as this exhaust is very quiet and will dissapoint those of you looking for that type of sound.

I hope these reviews assist you all in making some decisions if you're considering purchasing any of the aforementioned products!!

Last edited by Alex350; 09-09-06 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-09-06, 01:10 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Nice review. Tein it is! How much did the coilovers cost you?
Old 09-09-06, 03:14 AM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MINE ARE STILL NOT INSTALLED!!!!!!!!!!!!

still dealing with the snapped control arm.

but good to know its a good set-up

Last edited by SPEED&ECO.; 09-09-06 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-09-06, 04:02 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

so whered you end up putting the edfc?

*edit* oh n/m just saw your other thread...

Last edited by ULTiMaX99; 09-09-06 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-09-06, 08:13 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for great review! In terms of bump absorbtion, where do you think stock setting rates on the TIEN 0-16 scale?
Old 09-09-06, 02:34 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

so these lowers the car, gives it a less floaty feeling, AND keeps the smooth quiet ride? I'm all for it... how much and where?
Old 09-09-06, 02:59 PM
LexFather

People were dying for this reviw....Tein better ramp up production, lol
Old 09-09-06, 03:10 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Sounds nice. Any pictures of the setup?

*edit* Just noticed your other thread. You should put those two threads together.
Old 09-09-06, 06:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the dampening adjustability is why the ride is much better than non adjustable factory, its tuneable to your liking
Old 09-09-06, 11:24 PM
ExKoukiS14
Rookie

do the CS come with front camber plates?
Old 09-09-06, 11:36 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Nice review. Tein it is! How much did the coilovers cost you?
The coilovers cost me a bit more than what they will cost when they are released in the US ($1,400.00 US MSRP). I'll PM you the info.
Old 09-09-06, 11:40 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SPEED&ECO.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MINE ARE STILL NOT INSTALLED!!!!!!!!!!!!

still dealing with the snapped control arm.

but good to know its a good set-up
OH, you're going to LOVE them when you get yours installed
Old 09-09-06, 11:43 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by webra
Thanks for great review! In terms of bump absorbtion, where do you think stock setting rates on the TIEN 0-16 scale?
No problem! Anything I can do to help my fellow CL members!! I don't know where I would put the stock settings because I haven't been playing that much with the EDFC, but my guess would be high on the soft side, like a 14-16.
Old 09-09-06, 11:49 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ba-b4
so these lowers the car, gives it a less floaty feeling, AND keeps the smooth quiet ride? I'm all for it... how much and where?
Yes it does!!! The best suspension I've ever bought!! I bought mine for $1,400.00+ from my local Tein dealer (I don't think I can post the price according to CL rules, PM me if you want me to tell you). You can get yours the same way, just search on the Tein website (www.tein.com) for the nearest Tein dealer in your area and tell them that you want to order the Japanese Tein CS for the Lexus 2IS. You can pay the $1,400.00, but it will take about 3 months for you to get them. I paid a bit extra so that Tein Japan would ship mine express mail and got it in approximately 8 days.
Old 09-09-06, 11:56 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
People were dying for this reviw....Tein better ramp up production, lol
I don't even know why Tein hasn't released the CS here in the US yet. They released the CS in Japan about 4.5 months ago. A guy from Tein USA told me that they were just testing the CS in the US to see if it would need any modifications for the US roads. According to this guy, Tein usually makes stiffer springs for the US suspensions because of US road conditions.

Quick Reply: 2IS Japan-Spec Tein CS/new EDFC review!!!