Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sways help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 02:13 PM
YellowRace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sways help

Hi there. I've been driving my 2001 100% stock GS300 for a bit over a year. Recently I've been thinking about my old IS300 and missed the way it hugged the road.

Not changing anything else, if I were to add sway bars to the front and back, would it enhance the drive when I go on curves and when I do hard lane changes ? Right now it feels like a floating boat changing lanes.
Old 09-06-06, 02:14 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

Add front and rear upper strut tower bars and a rear sway bar for now. If you feel you need the front then do so. Goodluck!
Old 09-06-06, 02:17 PM
YellowRace
Driver

Originally Posted by SoCal_VIP
Add front and rear upper strut tower bars and a rear sway bar for now. If you feel you need the front then do so. Goodluck!
So I need to start with three bars ?
Can you show me a link to buy these items.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-06, 04:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

start with the sway bars before the strut bar. The front and rears alone will make a pretty big difference without touching the spring/shocks. It's probably the most noticeable mod u can do if you have stock suspension.

you can buy TRD or Daizen sways from sewell lexus (www.lexus-parts.com) and use coupon code CL911M to get 10% off.
Old 09-06-06, 04:26 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
start with the sway bars before the strut bar. The front and rears alone will make a pretty big difference without touching the spring/shocks. It's probably the most noticeable mod u can do if you have stock suspension.

you can buy TRD or Daizen sways from sewell lexus (www.lexus-parts.com) and use coupon code CL911M to get 10% off.

I agree with GSteg. Buy them from Sewell and save some $$$. You will notice a nice handling change.
Old 09-07-06, 01:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

changing the sways would give probably the most handling improvement, on par with changing the springs/shocks. the car will handle a lot better for sure. but being a owner of is300 as well (ex), don't expect the car to handle like is300. the is300 still handles better
Old 09-08-06, 07:18 AM
YellowRace
Driver

A friend of mine told me that just adding the Front and Rear Sways would not help or would be barely noticeable because I still have the stock GS300 Shocks and 16" wheels. Is this correct?
I want the car to have a firmer feel when I change lanes but I want something that's noticeable. I don't suppose anyone has tried changing just the Sways ?
Old 09-08-06, 09:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowRace
A friend of mine told me that just adding the Front and Rear Sways would not help or would be barely noticeable because I still have the stock GS300 Shocks and 16" wheels. Is this correct?
I want the car to have a firmer feel when I change lanes but I want something that's noticeable. I don't suppose anyone has tried changing just the Sways ?
imho, not correct. sways alone will help a lot already coz' they pull left and right sides together. of course with firmer springs/shocks and lower profile tires (larger wheels0 will help, and probably magnifies the result of the sways, but personally i think you should still feel a noticeable change.

but then of course, when i did it, i changed everything at the same time
Old 09-08-06, 10:17 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YellowRace - i think your friend has a point. i have daizen sways, stb up front, and the tein cs set to the firmest up front and 2 clicks from the firmest in the rear. my car still rolls through the corners.

i've ridden in a gs4 with the same daizen sways and a stb up front but with the eibach/bilstein spring/shock combo (which I think is much more BMW-like than the tein cs) and that car handles OUTSTANDING!!!

the eibach/bilstein combo is a great setup and I shouldn't have ever swapped it out. i have a new set waiting to be put in though so we'll see.
Old 09-08-06, 11:37 AM
YellowRace
Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud
YellowRace - i think your friend has a point. i have daizen sways, stb up front, and the tein cs set to the firmest up front and 2 clicks from the firmest in the rear. my car still rolls through the corners.

i've ridden in a gs4 with the same daizen sways and a stb up front but with the eibach/bilstein spring/shock combo (which I think is much more BMW-like than the tein cs) and that car handles OUTSTANDING!!!

the eibach/bilstein combo is a great setup and I shouldn't have ever swapped it out. i have a new set waiting to be put in though so we'll see.
---
So what do you suggest? Save my money until I get another sporty car in the future ?
Because I'm really not into modding.
Old 09-08-06, 11:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Has your friend tried adding sways to a car with stock suspension? Many here have done the sway mod without changing springs/shocks and they all agree it makes a very noticeable difference, especially on a GS where the car already feel like it's tipping over.

When I got my car, the first thing I did was add just the rear anti-sway bar (trd) and that alone made a difference when turning or going on an off the freeway ramp. I will guarantee you'll feel the difference. I can probably flex the stock bar with my two bare hands. With the new sways, I can't even bend it slightly.

No one is saying the sways alone will make your car keep up with a lamborghini gallardo, but it will make everyday driving more fun without having to worry too much about body lean. Ultimately, you'll want to change out the stock shock/springs for better performance.
Old 09-08-06, 11:58 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what your budget is or what your goals are for the car...

For the most part, you can do some mods to try to make the GS handle like the IS but the IS is and will always be a lighter car than the GS.

On top of that - the IS came with stock 17"s vs your stock 16"s on the GS.

If you're not really into modding, get a stock IS and be done with the whole thing.

If however you like the GS for it's grown up style and interior space yet still demand it to perform like an IS through the curves, you're going to have to spend some money.

Tires
Tire sidewalls make a huge difference. Now matter how much you firm up the suspension, if the tires are squishy- the ride will be squishy. If you bump up in rim size, you'll notice a good difference. Even if you were to max out the psi on your 16"s you'll probably notice a difference.

Rims
Stock 17"s baby! They're light and they offer a good amount of cushion for those harsh NYC roads while still stiff enough to offer crisp lane changes.

Suspension
To be budget conscious, get a jdm aristo strut tower brace. They're effective and can be had for less than 80 bucks.

Shocks/springs can be had for about $500. This will lower the overall height of the car and if you get the eibach/bilstein setup, it will handle very nicely. Just make sure you cut your bumpstops when installing them.

Sways can also be purchased but I'm not going to BS ya- they're not cheap. Daizen sways from Sewell Lexus will run approx $450. I added them when I had my Tein CS put on and I think they work against each other around corners. The Teins compress on the left side when I make a right turn (and vice versa) and although the sways help keep things tight and on track, it's somewhat negated by the tiens compressing which is translating into body roll.

Summary
Eibach/bilstein spring/shock combo + 4 wheel alignment - $600-$700 used.
JDM aristo stb - $80 used.
higher psi for 16" tires or swap to stock 17"s. - Free or $400.

Total cost: approx $1200
Old 09-08-06, 12:06 PM
YellowRace
Driver

Thanks for the advice. This breakdown in price was what I wanted.
I was hoping to spend under $500 to get a better road-gripping ride.
I guess it's not going to work for me. I guess the IS feel is too stuck with me.

To answer your question about getting the stock IS, check out the attachement. This was the IS300 I used to have. Only 2 1/2 years old.
Poor baby.
Attached Thumbnails Sways help-ex-is.jpg  
Old 09-08-06, 12:25 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowRace
There are members who have stayed with the 16s and added TRD sways. This seemed to be a nice setup since you have the handling capabilities of the TRDs while not losing too much harshness since the 16s have so much rubber.

If you plan to go to 18s+ and add more suspension components, then go with the Daizens. Sway bars will add greatly to roll control but if you plan to have no body roll, you will need more than just the sway bars. If you are realistic about your expectations, then you will notice the change with sway bars.

Be realistic in terms of what you intend to do with the eventual suspension setup. Parts that work great now may not be ideal later on in conjunction with other suspension pieces.
Old 09-08-06, 12:31 PM
YellowRace
Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
There are members who have stayed with the 16s and added TRD sways. This seemed to be a nice setup since you have the handling capabilities of the TRDs while not losing too much harshness since the 16s have so much rubber.

If you plan to go to 18s+ and add more suspension components, then go with the Daizens. Sway bars will add greatly to roll control but if you plan to have no body roll, you will need more than just the sway bars. If you are realistic about your expectations, then you will notice the change with sway bars.

Be realistic in terms of what you intend to do with the eventual suspension setup. Parts that work great now may not be ideal later on in conjunction with other suspension pieces.
Thanks. I know I won't get the total IS300 feel, but I just want to have something similiar. And I definitely will not be getting 18s+. Will just keep 16s, so from what you are saying, the TRD seems a good fit for me.

How much should I expect to pay for both the front and back lower sways?
In terms of installation, I heard you can adjust the firmness? I wouldn't know what to tell the installer. And again, what do you estimate this will cost ?

Quick Reply: Sways help