Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen + Bilstein Sport OR Tein Flex

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06, 01:55 AM
V8Lexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daizen + Bilstein Sport OR Tein Flex

car is a 2001 gs430. application guides differ slightly but im quite sure these springs/struts will have no problem working on my car. i plan on doing the install myself. obviously for ease of install the teins are the top choice. but ease of adjustability the daizen/bilstein choice is better ONLY because its already dropped and i dont have to go and turn those rings. once i set it thats where its staying. i do want to keep some level of comfort so which will give me that since i plan on eventually putting on 18s or 19s with 30/35 series tires. price is also a huge part of this, the bilstein/daizen setup will run me roughly 750-800 whereas the flex's will run me 1300+ tax/shipping. later on i plan on adding sway bars and strut tower braces(trd or daizen, and for STBs im going with the Tom's). any feedback on this is greatly appreciated as i dont want to pay twice to do the job right. i'd rather do it right the first time. no signs of wear from my stock struts/springs but they do have 112k miles on them(i think). so im thinking if im going to change them out i might as well upgrade. thanks guys!
Old 09-04-06, 03:17 AM
t3ts
Driver School Candidate

im going flex. stock '99 gs400 w/ only front tower brace. stock 16's. rode around with a buddy in his cs equipped gs3 on the firmest setting. still rolled like stock. also rode around in bilstein/eibach combo equipped gs4. BMW WATCH OUT!! firm, flat, responsive. but cannot be altered to easily, hence my tein decision. also like the ease of installation. all i can say is find someone that has what you want. everyone else here can only offer opinions and VERBAL driving feel. no matter what we say. the seat your reading all this in, is not the seat your gonna be riding in. good luck bro.
Old 09-04-06, 07:54 PM
V8Lexus
Rookie

t3ts much appreciated, my question is....being as we drive lexus not a honda our suspension has to be precise, how do you get the coilovers matched to the exact millimeter that you need them at to prevent the whole suspension from being thrown out of whack? im not really concerned with adjustability since once i lower it thats the way its staying.
Old 09-05-06, 04:14 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by V8Lexus
t3ts much appreciated, my question is....being as we drive lexus not a honda our suspension has to be precise, how do you get the coilovers matched to the exact millimeter that you need them at to prevent the whole suspension from being thrown out of whack? im not really concerned with adjustability since once i lower it thats the way its staying.
no matter what susp you go with you will alter the geometry of your susp. the only thing that will prevent that is a roll center adapter which is widely used in the racing world to eliminate bump steer and eliminate camber problems by leveling out your tie rods and lower control arms
Old 09-05-06, 10:25 AM
V8Lexus
Rookie

i know im going to be altering the geometry of it but what worries me is the fact that you have to manually set the height on the coilovers unlike the spring/shock combo. also which would give me a more comfortable ride?
Old 09-05-06, 02:18 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by V8Lexus
i know im going to be altering the geometry of it but what worries me is the fact that you have to manually set the height on the coilovers unlike the spring/shock combo. also which would give me a more comfortable ride?

coilovers will give you a more balanced dynamically matched ride

setting the height actually turns out to be quite fun once you get used to it

if you want smooth factory like with better handling go with teins cs but do not expect miracles out of those

if you want more of a sportier ride that can be made to handle to most demanding situation go with the flexs
Old 09-05-06, 03:54 PM
V8Lexus
Rookie

so either way dont bother with the springs/struts?
Old 09-06-06, 10:38 PM
V8Lexus
Rookie

its settled. tein flex. ive measured my cars height in various spots with the drop that the daizens would give me and its not going to be enough plus i'd rather have the adjustability just in case i want to change wheel sizes.
Old 09-14-06, 05:09 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lex, where were you when I was buying my Tein CS v2?! I asked so many people on here and everyone told me to go with CS, and I did. Am I 100% happy, no.. Is it better then stock, yes. Does it still have body roll/lean, yes, not as much as stock. Does it feel like stock, yes, a bit firmer then stock with 5 clicks back from 16. Does it perform better then stock yes, but as Lex said do not expect miracles. If I had to do this again, I would go with Bilstein PSS like DaveGS4 or Tein Flex like Lexforlife and Wringo. See, a lot of people here I realize, suggest CS because they like Lexus stock feel and drive and they do not want BMW like feel, and that is why they suggest CS, plus they put 20" wheels and CS helps out on the ride. I have stock 17" with fat set up 245/45/17 Pirelly P-Zero Nero M/S (worst tires I have owned), plus I got Daizen bushings installed along with my CS's, so that firmed up the ride and feel a bit. But the car is still a bit sloppy on the road, not as bad as stock though, and there is a body lean, not bad as stock.. I am sure if I get TRD sways (I heard Daizen are not as suppurb handling wise then TRD, which are stiffer, some people sold Daizen to get TRD's) As I said, if you want BMW like ride and road feel then go with Eibach or Tanabe springs (Tanabe lowers the car lower by .5") and Bilstein Sport shocks. Or coilovers: Tein Flex or Bilstein PSS and some sways, will make your car handle better then BMW sport package, as per what I heard people say, but GS would never feel steering wise like a BMW.. Hope it helps.. If I decide to keep my car, it is currently for sale in classified, I will get Flex or PSS and sell my Tein CS v2, which would not be a problem here on CL, since it is people favorite.