Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein PSS coilovers still available? Where? PSS vs. tein CS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 11:05 AM
GinoRin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein PSS coilovers still available? Where? PSS vs. tein CS?

Hey everyone,
After riding in a 00 GS400 with the Bilstein PSS coilover setup on it, I'm sold. The owner had the PSS installed 3 years ago and no problems at all. The car feels more like my old 02 M5 than a GS400, I have a 01 GS430 with the stock suspension right now and it needs something. I am also looking at the Tein CS setup, but I am absolutely in love with the response in this 3 year old PSS kit. I just looked around online and it seems like everyone is out of stock. Has anyone here had luck with the PSS kit, or know where I could buy it? I'd also love to hear from someone who has experienced both the Tein CS and Bilstein PSS first hand, because if I can't track down the PSS I might buy the CS. Also, whats a good price range for the CS? Like $1300?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 09-01-06, 11:43 AM
skeet94
Driver

Was the ride harsh or was it controlled yet smooth? How was it over the bumps? I'm looking at either the Tein Flex w/EDFC or the Bilstein PSS...if I can pick them up cheaper .
Old 09-01-06, 12:00 PM
GinoRin
Pole Position

Very controlled and smooth. I had the L-tuned setup on my old GS400 and it felt like a pogo stick compared to this car with the PSS on it. I was extremely impressed.
Old 09-01-06, 07:36 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

CS is smooth, very stock like.
PSS is stiffer, more sporty.
Old 09-02-06, 09:31 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Check with Todd at tmengineering
Old 09-03-06, 06:44 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i just recently switched from the bilsteins to the teins flex

the bilsteins are a outstanding setup , they do whatever you ask them to do however on a long drive where you might have riplled effect hwys or bad roads they tend to beat you up.

i went to the flex because of this point, back in may i drove with my crew to a meet in orlando from ft lauderdale, we took the turnpike which is known to have a rippled effect going on from constant heavy truck usage , well after 2 1/2 hrs of being bounced around i had enough, i test drove wringos car with the flex , used his edfc and went through many settings and fell in love.

came back home that night and ordered a set of the flex with edfc.

i believe teins is more tuned for japanese cars then the bilsteins which are more tuned for heavier german cars . i immed exp a more controlled but more precise feel in the car with little to no jarring sensations.if i was on a rough patch of road , reach down and adjust edfc and bang smooth as butter

if you are a moderate to a aggressive driver like me the teins cs will not cut it , go for the flex and def get the edfc its worth the extra 300 , as far as how the flex rides , i was able to tune the flex by adjusting the preloads (which the bilsteins do not have nor the cs have) front to back side to side to my liking to better control the spring ocilations in conjunction with the dampers..

dont get me wrong , the pss are great but at one setting only and as time goes on and they find their operating range they get stiffer and firmer , and i dont like the fact that the stroke of the strut is always operating in a compressed state unlike the flex . the flex will always operate with a full stroke of the strut no matter how low you go because of the sep adjustment in the preload and sep height adjustment and guys one of the most important parts in the handling dept is your upper mounts , using solid pillow ball mount vs rubber is no comparison, the pillow ball will give instant turn in response where rubber mutes alot more of it the trade off being the solid mounts will transfer more road noise when hitting a bump ansd the like, to me as the expression goes " you cant get alittle pregnant" either you are tuning your car for performance or you are tuning for comfort their is little wiggle room
Old 09-04-06, 01:11 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

hmm.. Now I'm stuck between the Tein Flex and BuddyClub Racing SPEC Dampner coilovers .
Old 09-04-06, 04:32 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Great write-up bro

Originally Posted by lexforlife
i just recently switched from the bilsteins to the teins flex

the bilsteins are a outstanding setup , they do whatever you ask them to do however on a long drive where you might have riplled effect hwys or bad roads they tend to beat you up.

i went to the flex because of this point, back in may i drove with my crew to a meet in orlando from ft lauderdale, we took the turnpike which is known to have a rippled effect going on from constant heavy truck usage , well after 2 1/2 hrs of being bounced around i had enough, i test drove wringos car with the flex , used his edfc and went through many settings and fell in love.

came back home that night and ordered a set of the flex with edfc.

i believe teins is more tuned for japanese cars then the bilsteins which are more tuned for heavier german cars . i immed exp a more controlled but more precise feel in the car with little to no jarring sensations.if i was on a rough patch of road , reach down and adjust edfc and bang smooth as butter

if you are a moderate to a aggressive driver like me the teins cs will not cut it , go for the flex and def get the edfc its worth the extra 300 , as far as how the flex rides , i was able to tune the flex by adjusting the preloads (which the bilsteins do not have nor the cs have) front to back side to side to my liking to better control the spring ocilations in conjunction with the dampers..

dont get me wrong , the pss are great but at one setting only and as time goes on and they find their operating range they get stiffer and firmer , and i dont like the fact that the stroke of the strut is always operating in a compressed state unlike the flex . the flex will always operate with a full stroke of the strut no matter how low you go because of the sep adjustment in the preload and sep height adjustment and guys one of the most important parts in the handling dept is your upper mounts , using solid pillow ball mount vs rubber is no comparison, the pillow ball will give instant turn in response where rubber mutes alot more of it the trade off being the solid mounts will transfer more road noise when hitting a bump ansd the like, to me as the expression goes " you cant get alittle pregnant" either you are tuning your car for performance or you are tuning for comfort their is little wiggle room
Old 09-04-06, 08:26 AM
skeet94
Driver

Yep great write-up...now I'm definitely picking up the Tein Flex with EDFC now .
Old 09-04-06, 05:53 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GinoRin
Hey everyone,
After riding in a 00 GS400 with the Bilstein PSS coilover setup on it, I'm sold. The owner had the PSS installed 3 years ago and no problems at all. The car feels more like my old 02 M5 than a GS400, I have a 01 GS430 with the stock suspension right now and it needs something. I am also looking at the Tein CS setup, but I am absolutely in love with the response in this 3 year old PSS kit. I just looked around online and it seems like everyone is out of stock. Has anyone here had luck with the PSS kit, or know where I could buy it? I'd also love to hear from someone who has experienced both the Tein CS and Bilstein PSS first hand, because if I can't track down the PSS I might buy the CS. Also, whats a good price range for the CS? Like $1300?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Try shox.com for the Bilstein PSS The Bilsteins are great I wanted German ride handeling in a Japanese car, and I got it. It has a BMW M5 stance when lowered and feels just as taut as the German beast in the twisties. There is an extensive right up by DaveGS4 about the Bilsteins on the forum. Also, there is an extensive right up on the Teins. Tein CS feels like stock but dropped. You will have more bodyroll in corners with the CS than you would with the Bilsteins. I love the ride, and I am in pot hole riddled NYC.
Old 09-07-06, 01:24 AM
V8Lexus
Rookie

just wanted to chime in on this.........ARE YOU NUTS?! YOU GOT RID OF A 2002 M5 FOR A 2001 GS430?!?!? not that the lex is a bad car, i'd rather have a gs430 because i know it wont let me down. but dude........its an M5! why give it up? unless it was costing you an arm and a leg in maintenance in which case i can understand. anyway, ive got the same dilemma but im pretty much set on the flex without edfc since im not made of money. ill get the edfc later on. im so tired of going out to my car and seeing an ugly almost 4 inch wheel gap from the stock suspension. but im not faulting lexus for it, thats how macpherson struts work. for those of you that keep saying "why cant it be like bmw/mercedes??", look at one of those suspensions and you'll see why, WHEEL -> SHOCK -> SPRING for bmw/mercedes not WHEEL - > SPRING ON TOP OF SHOCK for lexus and most japanese cars. i like our setup better anyway i dont like the seperate shock and spring like how the germans have it.
Old 09-07-06, 07:24 AM
GinoRin
Pole Position

hahaha. The only reason I had the M5 is because I bought it to sell. I have a friend who owns a dealership and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the M5. He had a buyer back out and didnt want to sit on it, so I bought it from him and sold it 2 months later for a small profit. I was 22 at the time so insurance was pretty close to the car payment every month. Anyways, that was a superb vehicle and I will purchase another when I have other priorities in my life situated first. I am 24 and had over 70 high end cars over an elongated period of time (each at least a month or two) and I am on my 4th lexus GS right now, and I feel it's the best sport luxury value on the market under $20k used... that's why I drive em! I'm in the personal and small biz finance and investment industry where I do a ton of driving (25-30k a year) and the GS430 just suits me very very well with Lexus reliability to boot! My GS430 has 103k on it and if I don't sell it I'll probably drive it to 170 or 180k just like I did with my last GS400. Maintenance is so minimal on these cars sometimes we forget how well we have it!
Old 09-07-06, 11:12 PM
V8Lexus
Rookie

well said Gino. definitely a smart move. ill be keeping my gs until the wheels fall off. but i do want to buy another wrx just because i miss the sporty really fun to drive nature of the one i had.