Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Which shocks with Espelir springs?
Tokico HP
51.72%
KYB GR-2
48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Tokico or KYB??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-06, 01:21 PM
faulks2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tokico or KYB??

I'm getting my suspension components next week and wanted to get everyones opinion on shocks. I'm going Espelir ASD springs and either Tokico HP's or KYB GR-2's. I've always had Tokicos (either Illuminas or HP's) on my other cars and have read a few things here on CL about GR-2's being "noisy". Does anyone have a preference and why? Price is about the same for both and I was just considering GR-2's for a little change from my norm. Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 09-25-06, 11:48 PM
cino78h
Driver

where do you get your espleir springs from?
Old 09-28-06, 05:23 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

I have kyb's and i'm just not that impressed with the handling (too soft). i know they are not coilovers but I expected more. I have not had any noise issues.
Old 10-16-06, 10:18 PM
scfourhun
Rookie

get the agx
Old 10-26-06, 03:46 AM
ISC400
Pole Position

Go with TT Eibachs and TT AGX's you wont regred it
Old 10-26-06, 09:26 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISC400
Go with TT Eibachs and TT AGX's you wont regred it
Just curious how much lower did you go with that set up? I currently have 18s and TT eibachs chillin in my room. I have heard good stuff about AGX but i've heard good stuff about Tokico Illumina also. I know Kyb makes oem shocks, including the vr4.
Thanks
-hass
Old 10-27-06, 05:08 AM
ISC400
Pole Position

About 2.5" in the front and 2" in the back, gives the SC a very aggressive stance, but is a little to low for daily driving but the problem really is I have the front lip and my sc has 16’s Supra NA wheels but I plan getting some 18’s in the future so that should help with my clearance issues (I hate scraping my lip in driveways). But for now I’m not driving her much because I’m going to fit supercharger on Her.
Old 12-12-06, 07:06 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Bilstein shocks are the best I've experienced so far...better than KYB imho.
Old 12-12-06, 07:09 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by dejacky
Bilstein shocks are the best I've experienced so far...better than KYB imho.
Bilsteins are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Tokico HP > GR-2, but both are good. If you can get a better deal on the GR-2, I'd take those
Old 12-12-06, 09:14 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default Bilsteins & Dejacky

DeJack,

I have put Bil. on every vehicle I have owned including my Winnebago. No kidding. They have been superb. They ride soft but somehow handle the worst with aplomb. (great word). I had them on my 75 land cruiser. That vehicle is nicknamed the "Land Crusher" for good reason. With the Bil.s I could drive into a curb head on at 10 mph and that 3 ton sweetheart would just go PUFFT. I could not believe their performance. Amazing!

I asked a knowledgeable club member what he thought of Bil.s for the SC. He said that, regretfully, Bil. didn't make a shock for the SC. There is a work around though.....install Supra springs for a 1-2 inch lowering with the Bil.s called out for the Supra. Ride plus lowered. The source is highly credible to me but you need to investigate for yourself.

I have been told that ALL coilovers yield a stiffened ride at least to some degree. I have Megans and they are OK except in city street chop. Everywhere else they are very good. Dips at high speed (100 mph) on the freeway are handled like a champ and even speed bumps are pretty impressive at 10-20mph. Used to leave the ground.

Good luck and please post you choices and results.

John
Old 12-12-06, 11:24 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JohnEd - What model of Bilsteins did you use? The reason I ask is because I am looking into Supra shocks to pair with some Supra springs. There are sets of Bilsteins for the Supra on ebay, but they are the HD model:

HEAVY DUTY (HD) - For most vehicles including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability without sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling for occasional off-road use, while maintaining an exceptional “street” ride.

Wondering if they will work well on the SC?
Old 12-12-06, 12:11 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc300max
JohnEd - What model of Bilsteins did you use? The reason I ask is because I am looking into Supra shocks to pair with some Supra springs. There are sets of Bilsteins for the Supra on ebay, but they are the HD model:

HEAVY DUTY (HD) - For most vehicles including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability without sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling for occasional off-road use, while maintaining an exceptional “street” ride.

Wondering if they will work well on the SC?
The mkiv Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Bilstein OEM shocks are the HEAVY DUTY (HD) models. Just use those shocks with supra tt oem height springs and put them on your sc300. Your ride will be slightly lower, but it works fine and your handling will be much better .
Old 12-12-06, 02:39 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks dejacky, I was wondering because the description said "heavy hauling for occasional off-road use" haha. I have the oem TT springs already and will probably be getting the Bilsteins.

Back to the reason for this thread, I have only had experience with KYB GR2 and AGX. Pretty good shocks so far.
Old 12-29-06, 08:20 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default Bils

Max,

It seems DeJack answered far better than I could. I aspire to the Bilstein setup, I don't have it yet.

Question for Dejacky: Is the shock and spring different between the Supra non turbo, turbo and twin turbo?

Thank you

John
Old 12-29-06, 09:48 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JohnEd
Max,

It seems DeJack answered far better than I could. I aspire to the Bilstein setup, I don't have it yet.

Question for Dejacky: Is the shock and spring different between the Supra non turbo, turbo and twin turbo?

Thank you

John
Yes, the shocks and springs between the Supra TT ("twin turbo") and Supra NA cars are different. What we want is the shock/spring combo from the Supra TT cars.

Quick Reply: Tokico or KYB??