Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Got the 88Rotors and Axxis Pads and ......

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 10:51 AM
DoingDamag
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the 88Rotors and Axxis Pads and ......

Got the 88Rotors and Axxis Pads and I'm very happy!! I needed a new rotor becuase my pads made a groove in one like a 12inch record. Haven't tried to play it, yet. The guy I got em from (on eBay) was very nice to deal with and gave a pretty good price (279.99 w/ shipping included). I would recommend them for anyone wanting to upgrade!

Still trying to get rid of that vibration at highway speeds. I thought it may have been the record rotor, but its not. I'm wondering if its a torque issue w/ the lug nutz. I get a diff vibration at diff speeds with diff poundage. Who knows the propper poundage for the second gen GS? Even though changing the rotors provided me with a more stable feeling, that damn jiggle at 70mph is starting to get aggravating.
Old 08-21-06, 10:59 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a search on "vibration" in the GS section...you will find many threads on this issue. Could be wheel alignment down to replacing lower ball joint and tie rods.

Good Luck!!

Now where are the pics on them new rotors/pads?

Pete
Old 08-21-06, 11:16 AM
DoingDamag
Driver

Originally Posted by PHML
Do a search on "vibration" in the GS section...you will find many threads on this issue. Could be wheel alignment down to replacing lower ball joint and tie rods.

Good Luck!!

Now where are the pics on them new rotors/pads?

Pete
I've been keeping up with the vibration threads, but didn't see anything about proper lbs. of torque on nutz. Found it on another thread. For those interested, its 76lbs and do it in a star pattern. Had the wheels aligned over and over again. I'm think new ball joints and tie rods (doesn't this sound like **** talk w/ nuts, ball joints and rods?? lol).

Anyway, need to clean the ride then pics will come. I still have factory wheels and I didn't paint the calibers (Damn it!!). If interested in ebay item, its here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT
Old 08-21-06, 11:31 AM
adale
Rookie

Check you balance on the tires really good. I am fighting the same vibration comes on around 45 mph, smoothes out around 60 and then back at 70 and you don't want to go any faster. I have chrome OEM rims and I think the a tire or tires are moving on them a little bit. Had a guy on another forum told me he had the same problem on a chrome rim. It only takes about 1/4 inch to mess up the balance. I am still checking to see if the are really moving or not. Lastly take you car to a good suspension place that you trust and have their guys go over your front end. I have found that just having the alignment checked will usually tell you if you have any ball joints or tie rod ends going south.
Old 08-21-06, 07:06 PM
DoingDamag
Driver

Torque Wrench at AutoZone - $25.99

21mm extended socket - $2.99

88 Rotors and Axxis Brake Pads - $279.99

Getting rid of that dreaded vibration on the highway - Priceless.

Well, after the rotor and brake change, went to autozone and got the torque wrench. Read on one of these threads it was 76 lbs. After the first half of the Monday night game, decided to go and and do the torque'ing thing. Test drove it. 40mph - smooth, 50 - smooth, 60 - smooth, 70 - smooth, 80 - smooth. It seems like 99% of the vibration has gone away!!!! I don't know if thats the answer to everyone's vibration issues, but it answered mine!!!

And, about the brakes. Now that there a little broken in, I can feel the diff majorly. It feels the same under low pressure, but when you push it down, you feel the extra stick! It makes a slight grinding noise, not sqeeky when braking hard. All of these mods just make me love my lexus even more.
Old 08-22-06, 05:35 AM
DoingDamag
Driver

spoke too soon. Its (vibration) still there, but not nearly as bad as it was. I can deal with it, until i get the new tie rods and ball joints.
Old 08-22-06, 11:55 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

good review. i am considering these to replace my busted rotors. hows the dust on the included pads?
Old 08-22-06, 12:02 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DoingDamag
spoke too soon. Its (vibration) still there, but not nearly as bad as it was. I can deal with it, until i get the new tie rods and ball joints.
LOL, congrats, you've now been initiated fully into the GS family.... Try the wheel alignment next.
Old 08-22-06, 12:10 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have stock calipers make sure you have the Lexus shim kit. This could be a reason you have vibration at speed as well.
Old 08-23-06, 06:51 PM
DoingDamag
Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
If you have stock calipers make sure you have the Lexus shim kit. This could be a reason you have vibration at speed as well.
Lexus Shim Kit? In the words of of the famous poet Scooby Doo, "Huh?" Please hip me.

and
Originally Posted by Vic Nyce
good review. i am considering these to replace my busted rotors. hows the dust on the included pads?
To be honest, I haven't cleaned my car yet becuase of the weather. Talking with the guy at 88Rotors, he said and I'll quote him, "Ceramics brake slightly better, but have alot more brake dust and do not last as long as the semi-metallics. If you want ceramics, they will cost you $10 for both front & rear." Looking at the axxis pads site, it shows the diff in pads.

Even with normal dust, I would still recommend them. If you hit them, you'll feel the diff! And the service I got, esp coming from eBay (can be a nightmare sometimes), was good.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
LOL, congrats, you've now been initiated fully into the GS family.... Try the wheel alignment next.
Thank you. Will go for the alignment this weekend. But, still couldn't believe how much torquing the wheels properly helped out. Spread the word, and tell people, "Torque YOU!" (I know, corny but its late.)

Last edited by DoingDamag; 08-23-06 at 07:04 PM.