Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

new TRD brake pads impression

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-01, 09:00 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default new TRD brake pads impression

Did 30k service and I have 2mm left in front brakepads. So I got some TRD pads from Carson Toyota (I was looking for Steve but he was busy on the phone). They didn't have TOM's in stock so I just got the TRDs (I wanted something from TOM's).

Anyways got them installed. I feel that braking power has dramatically IMPROVED! Even a slight tap I could feel the different from before with the stock pads. The braking feels beefy now, no hesitation and no hassles. I didn't check the brake dust situation I'll look into that in a few days.

Anyhow, I think these are definitely better than stock pads, and anyone with wore-out stock pads and doesn't want to get a new TRD or Supra TT brake kit can use these. Well worth the money.

1 Questions for those who knows: When I got the box of pads they're very dirty and brake-dusty. Seems VERY LIKE they have been used :eek: Are they suppose to be dirty and dusty brand new in the box? Seems like there's some wear on the pads already?!? :eek:
Old 10-09-01, 09:51 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey how much did you buy them for?
Old 10-09-01, 10:09 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: new TRD brake pads impression

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
Did 30k service and I have 2mm left in front brakepads. So I got some TRD pads from Carson Toyota (I was looking for Steve but he was busy on the phone). They didn't have TOM's in stock so I just got the TRDs (I wanted something from TOM's).

Anyways got them installed. I feel that braking power has dramatically IMPROVED! Even a slight tap I could feel the different from before with the stock pads. The braking feels beefy now, no hesitation and no hassles. I didn't check the brake dust situation I'll look into that in a few days.

Anyhow, I think these are definitely better than stock pads, and anyone with wore-out stock pads and doesn't want to get a new TRD or Supra TT brake kit can use these. Well worth the money.

1 Questions for those who knows: When I got the box of pads they're very dirty and brake-dusty. Seems VERY LIKE they have been used :eek: Are they suppose to be dirty and dusty brand new in the box? Seems like there's some wear on the pads already?!? :eek:
Hey Globe,

I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes they come out of the factory kinda dirty...What you should worry though is that they wear out FAST. My rears wore out in less than 10K miles..Don't know why but it was very fast...

Brent
Old 10-09-01, 10:38 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: new TRD brake pads impression

Originally posted by biggie27
hey how much did you buy them for?
109 for the front. That's the price from Carson Toyota for ClubLexus members.

Originally posted by BLiu

Hey Globe,

I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes they come out of the factory kinda dirty...What you should worry though is that they wear out FAST. My rears wore out in less than 10K miles..Don't know why but it was very fast...

Brent
Hm..... 10k miles....... that's pretty fast.

Well they're like 117 dollars after tax..... pretty expensive. Stock pads are 45 for the front. The shop that did the installation told me about this pad called Metal Master or something....... 60 bucks for the front set. It's suppose to be semi-metallic or something. Might try those if these TRD ones wear out too fast.

thanks for the advice.
Old 10-09-01, 10:55 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

you should check this website out http://www.toysport.com/kazumaweb.htm

there selling the TRD brakes for $75 for front, and the same for the rear

there also selling the whole TRD brake package for $260 for the front and $220 for the rear
Old 10-09-01, 10:58 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

you should check this website out http://www.toysport.com/kazumaweb.htm

there selling the TRD brakes for $75 for front, and the same for the rear

there also selling the whole TRD brake package for $260 for the front and $220 for the rear

WOW that's really cheap for pads! Geeze!!
But that was a special sale that ended in May.

And the 260 is only for the rotors not the whole thing
Old 10-09-01, 11:10 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

check this out then http://www.trdsportparts.com/

there almost the same price :eek:
Old 10-09-01, 11:16 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

check this out then http://www.trdsportparts.com/

there almost the same price :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: does that mean Steve doesn't have the best prices?!?
Old 10-09-01, 11:30 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

maybe in some parts he does, like toms products and stuff that is hard to get, but you have to remmember you cant be the best at everything or youll lose money that way
Old 10-10-01, 05:10 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Hey I have the Axxis Metal Masters very good pads, not to much dust, BUT very squeaky.

check these bad boys out they are made by GreenTree they are carbon kevlar(kevlar is the stuff the cops use for bullet proof vests) pads and they are only $90 Ted920 ordered them and I'll tell you my impressions of them when I test them out this week!

The Green Tree Pads are sold at www.tirerack.com search through and you'll find them there!
Old 10-10-01, 08:07 AM
JacobT

Hi Globe,

You probably got the TRD set that I returned about a month ago, Ha.

I need the TRD set for SupraTT but Steve sent me the TRD for stock GS. So I returned it.

The TRD pads are very sticky but dusty. I need to clean up my rims once every 3-4 days. I guess there's always some trade-offs for performance
Old 10-10-01, 10:42 AM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

great price for the pads, have anyone try ERC or EDC i forget, but they have this pad series called the green stuff retail about 110.00 and suppose to be real good, little fade, but wear on that one is pretty fast compare to the other two they carry. For those of you that used TRD pads what made you decide over another brand? and how long does these pads last, or they on the high performance side pads?
Old 10-10-01, 10:47 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for the replies guys!

Well I just found out, TRD website's parts number for the pads and the parts number on the box of pads that I got are different. MY brake pad parts numbers don't show up on Toyota of Orange's computer, but the one off TRD's website does. Guess what, they're 45 dollars cheaper than what I paid.......

Why are the parts numbers different? They're the same thing? How can I check what things are? Why doesn't my pads show up on the computer? Are they some bootleg pads?!?

I'm not too happy about Carson Toyota's prices...... and when I called to confirm the price again the next day the guy was pretty straight forward about saying i'm wrong and tried to get me off the phone. Damn.

What's going on here. Pissed off!
Old 10-10-01, 11:23 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Hey KNKGS400 those are the pads I was talking about www.tirerack.com has them for $90 bucks.

Yo Globe take it easy...I got some pads for you that I made out of a hershey bar and a paperclip!...there is absolutely no fade and no dust whatsoever!!! They only cost 2 bucks.

Hey you know that Carson Toyota has been giving us good prices it's no big deal if they make a mistake. They could have an overstock on those pads and they are just trying not to lose any money.

Just like the New York State Lotto!
"Hey you never know"
Old 10-10-01, 11:23 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Globe,

what are the part #s that you have? i have few trd breaks parts # on hand that i can verify w/you.
PM me if you want to.

william

Quick Reply: new TRD brake pads impression