Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering ECU

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-01, 03:08 PM
matjen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Steering ECU

Well I just installed the TRD front STB and the L-tuned steering ECU in my 98 GS400. Parts were bought from Steve at Carson Toyota and were shipped promptly. Big thumbs up!

My car has a stock suspension and 16 inch wheels so I was a little worried about not really being able to feel the effect from teh ECU. Nothing to worry about. This is a fantastic mod for anyone who cars about steering feel. There is no longer that center deadspot and the steering has much more weight to it at all speeds. THis makes for a more linear feel and makes the car feel more German. IMHO this is a must mod.
Old 10-03-01, 03:05 PM
chaos
Driver School Candidate

Talking Great input

Thanks for letting us know that just the ECU and front stab bar makes such a diff.

I have called around and asked, but get wishy-washy answers.

I WANT to feel the road...luxury is nice, but sports luxery is nicer!!
Old 10-04-01, 08:51 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Steering ECU

Originally posted by matjen
Well I just installed the TRD front STB and the L-tuned steering ECU in my 98 GS400. Parts were bought from Steve at Carson Toyota and were shipped promptly. Big thumbs up!

My car has a stock suspension and 16 inch wheels so I was a little worried about not really being able to feel the effect from teh ECU. Nothing to worry about. This is a fantastic mod for anyone who cars about steering feel. There is no longer that center deadspot and the steering has much more weight to it at all speeds. THis makes for a more linear feel and makes the car feel more German. IMHO this is a must mod.
Sounds like my wife would hate it.
Old 10-06-01, 05:56 PM
matjen
Driver School Candidate

I know where you are coming from meanboy. My wife made me get a Lexus after years of riding in very stiff and manual transmission German cars. GS400 is the perfect compromise because it has the trademark Lexus luxury/quietness for her but can be paddle shifted if i require it and is fairly modable by luxury car standards. I cane from a Mercedes 190 2.3-16 and my wife thinks the GS400 drives like a Caddy Fleetwood!
Old 01-28-02, 10:58 AM
Jim Sane
Driver School Candidate

Question

Re installation of the recalibrated steering ECU, I removed the 2 screws holding the panel (below the brake release) and compressed the clip. This loosens the panel on the left side, but it seems hung up on the right side, and I don't want to force it. Am I missing something?
Old 01-28-02, 11:16 AM
mkilty
Lead Lap

I had an article on ECU 101 but can't find it but go here to: http://www.super-lexus.com/howto/ltuneecu.html

Hope that will help.

Michael
Old 01-28-02, 06:46 PM
dmwong
Driver School Candidate

This sound amazing......i just got my GS400 and i missed the feels of my old MB. May be this will fix it.....

Can somebody tell me how much for the ECU unit and any good website where i can purchase this ECU unit from.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-02, 07:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Contact Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota (or check www.l-tunedparts.com). It's a cheap part, about $130 I think.
Old 01-29-02, 09:32 AM
dmwong
Driver School Candidate

Just installing the ECU alone without lowering the car or installing a strut tower, can you still feel a significant difference between before and after.

From the sound of it, $135 is a small price to pay to enhance the handling feel......
Old 01-29-02, 10:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

"Significant"? Hard to say if you'll think it's significant. Noticeable, yes. Somewhat subtle though. But definitely an improvement.
Old 01-31-02, 06:41 PM
talalhz
Driver

My recomendation is to Never buy FROM Carson TOYOTA I get all my parts from TOYOSPORT Steerign ECU $116.39 Vs. $135.99 @ Carson, so shop here... http://www.toysport.com/catalog.htm give these guys a try, for best prices, ask for Mario, and tell him Talal from San Diego sent you.......call him direct at 1-323-755-1177 Remember to tell him I sent you.....
Attached Thumbnails Steering ECU-steering-big.jpg  
Old 02-01-02, 12:19 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

isn't the steering ECU $120 from Carson?
Old 02-01-02, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by talalhz
My recomendation is to Never buy FROM Carson TOYOTA I get all my parts from TOYOSPORT Steerign ECU $116.39 Vs. $135.99 @ Carson, so shop here... http://www.toysport.com/catalog.htm give these guys a try, for best prices, ask for Mario, and tell him Talal from San Diego sent you.......call him direct at 1-323-755-1177 Remember to tell him I sent you.....
Well that's one cheesy web site they have. Can't even order online you have to FAX it in!?
Old 02-01-02, 11:14 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by talalhz
My recomendation is to Never buy FROM Carson TOYOTA I get all my parts from TOYOSPORT Steerign ECU $116.39 Vs. $135.99 @ Carson, so shop here... [url]
Why are you recommending not to buy from Steve at Carson Toyota? Is it because of the price difference for the steering ECU? Many of us has conducted business with Steve because he has always come through for us. His prices are usually the best around, and he can get parts quicker, even harder to find parts, than most parts dealers. His service is top notch, keeping his customers in the loop of part availability and delivery.

Can you say the same about TOYOSPORT?

Does anyone else have experience with TOYOSPORT?
Old 02-01-02, 09:44 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Sometimes price is not everything especially when you are talking about Steve Ganz. Yes, it may cost a bit more for the ecu at toyosport, BUT if there is a problem, Steve wil take good care of you especially if you mention that you are a CL member. I once purchased a TRD grill from him and it came cracked. I called Steve and he immediately asked his staff (Gordon or Angel) to send out another one as soon as he received mine. No question asked!

Quick Reply: Steering ECU