Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

shock and struts

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 10:29 AM
cactus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock and struts

i need to replace my shcoks up front.. does this mean i need to replae the struts?? or are there even struts or will replacing the shocks have struts?? thanks
Old 07-20-06, 12:53 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

^^^ LOL what.

Our cars have struts. You will need to purchase new strut assemblies, you cannot just change the internal shock absorber as it is part of the whole unit that acts together. Here is the difference between struts and shocks in case you didn't know.

I may be wrong, but I think KYB makes our stock struts.

Shocks provide resistance by forcing hydraulic fluid (oil) through valves in the piston as it moves up and down. Because the oil cannot be compressed, only a certain amount of fluid can be forced through these valves, which creates resistance to vehicle movement.

Struts integrate numerous suspension parts into one compact assembly, including the coil spring, spring seats, shock absorber, strut bearing, and steering knuckle. Its spring can support the weight of the vehicle, while moving to adapt to road irregularities. The internal shock absorber dampens movement of the spring as it compresses and rebounds during vehicle travel. The strut housing serves as a structural part of the suspension system and connects the upper strut bearing to the lower ball joint so that the entire assembly can pivot when the steering wheel is turned.
Old 07-20-06, 01:02 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
^^^ LOL what.

Our cars have struts. You will need to purchase new strut assemblies, you cannot just change the internal shock absorber as it is part of the whole unit that acts together. Here is the difference between struts and shocks in case you didn't know.

I may be wrong, but I think KYB makes our stock struts.

Really now? I think you ment to say our cars have shocks . Struts are only used on the front of cars and have the steering components integrated into the "shock" (thus making it a strut). Basically a strut is nothing more then a shock that turns the hub (ie, the steering endlink attaches to the strut, then the strut turns the hub). Our cars uses a double wishbone suspension inwhich the shock attaches to the lower control arm and the hub is a "free standing" unit that the steering endlink directly attaches too and turns.
Old 07-20-06, 01:10 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

BTW, apparently there is multiple designs of the macpherson strut design, inwhich some do not have the steering endlink attaching to the strut itself.

MacPherson Strut Design One:

MacPherson Strut Design Two:

Double Wishbone:

Edit: Either way, we have double wishbone suspension as previously stated and to answer your question, you only need to replace the shock (being there is no strut).
Old 07-20-06, 01:16 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 Integra
Edit: Either way, we have double wishbone suspension as previously stated and to answer your question, you only need to replace the shock (being there is no strut).

...This I did not know...anytime I have ever talked to anyone about our suspension, they always say struts Even the guys in the Lexus dealer corrected me when I first asked them if the shocks need to be replaced (I had like 85k on the odo)! LExus Tech response: "This car uses struts, so you should replace sometime before you hit 100k miles."

Thanks for clearing that up lol!
Old 07-20-06, 01:38 PM
cactus
Rookie

Default .

aright and if i were to upgrade to coilovers, how would that differ??
Old 07-20-06, 01:44 PM
cactus
Rookie

so what are my options, the stock kyb, the tokico blues?? those are basic oem replacements for the struts.. if i were looking at going to more aftermarket setup and try and get some coilover type setup what should i be looking at..tein basic setup would be the next step up correct??
Old 07-20-06, 01:52 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the word strut refers to the MacPherson strut as mentioned above. It incorporates the shock/coil with a steering joint. However, I've heard the term strut used for any assembly where the shock and spring are combined into one removeable unit. Our cars have a double wishbone as mentioned above, but our shocks and springs are combined in one package. You can remove the shock and spring from the car as one unit. I don't know if the terminology is wrong or right (as it was derived from the original macPherson design) but lots of people seem to use it this way.

In short, you can replace the shocks in our "strut" assemblies without replacing the spring. There are other double wishbone suspensions where the spring and shock are separate pieces and not combined into one assembly.

So I usually say my car has a strut assembly. Some call it a coil-over. Those TEIN suspensions are then adjustable coil-overs. Confusing, yes.
Old 07-20-06, 01:55 PM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

GOD know I am confused do we have shocks or struts?? doesnt struts provide strutual support for the vehicle and shocks dont? I know shocks are common in suv's, trucks, and vans because they have leaf springs and thats the strutual support(i think?) I'm like NYLexSC everyone I talk to always refers to them as struts. Are all struts used as a pivot point in the suspension?
Old 07-20-06, 03:04 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

The term "strut" is commonly used incorrectly (as this thread clearly shows). Its not as if it really matters, you go to a shop and say I want new struts, they're going to know wtf you're talking about. The "coil-over shock" is not technically a strut and is still a stock with a coil spring on it. Other (mostly older domestic cars and trucks) use a seperate coil spring and shock (being the coil is wedged in the A-arm and the shock attaches to it seperately).

This is a seperated coil and shock -

To sum all that up, a coil-over shock setup is not a strut. Basically the strut eliminates the upper control arm and in generally is not used in performance applications (the double wishbone is preferred by most).

Now in the aftermarket world of things you have "true coilovers" which is a fully adjustable (and matched) spring/shock combo. Coilover is also used for the adjustable springs which use a sleeve that slides over your shock and then has adjustable perches to raise and lower the car. Generally I refer to "true coilovers" as coilovers and adjustable springs as adjustable springs (some people like to sound cool by trying to call their ****ty $99 adjustable springs coilovers is what I attribute the name problem with).

Adjustable spring -

Coilover -

I should also note that on a MacPherson strut design you adjust camber by the top hat, while on a double wishbone you do it with the upper control arm. Thus, most aftermarket coilovers for cars that have struts come with top hats that have camber plates built into them (this only works for the front).
Old 07-20-06, 03:09 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cactus
so what are my options, the stock kyb, the tokico blues?? those are basic oem replacements for the struts.. if i were looking at going to more aftermarket setup and try and get some coilover type setup what should i be looking at..tein basic setup would be the next step up correct??

Options in order of "performance and cost"

A) OE Replacement shocks
B) Aftermarket adjustable shocks
C) Aftermarket adjustable shocks and springs
D) Non-adjustable coilover (shock + spring combo, dampening will be set for the spring rate)
E) Fully adjustable coilover (Raise and lower the car, adjust shock dampening, etc)
F) Full coilovers with reservior (this allows for more fluid displacement w/ a smaller shock body, giving you the most shock travel and dampening ability for your lowered car).

Pic of the moton suspension just because its cool
Old 07-20-06, 03:11 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

BTW, to sum all this up: We have shocks, so stop calling them struts
Old 07-20-06, 03:38 PM
cactus
Rookie

thanks for clearing things up, interesting to see where things can go in only a day
Old 12-07-06, 11:24 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Default Struts

The SC400/300 is equipped with Strut Assemblies. If you used a "shock", there would be no place for the coil spring to sit. Big Difference. Take a look at these Tokico shocks that are part of the Strut assembly:

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/tokico/...ccc1f0e5254353

As you can see, they do not look like your typical shock. Do our Sc's have shocks? Yes, as part of the Strut assembly. If you have a Discount Tire or Pep Boys, or someone that sells Monroe SensaTrac Struts, go check out there display and see what a complete Strut is.
Old 12-10-06, 03:09 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
The SC400/300 is equipped with Strut Assemblies. If you used a "shock", there would be no place for the coil spring to sit. Big Difference. Take a look at these Tokico shocks that are part of the Strut assembly:

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/tokico/...ccc1f0e5254353

As you can see, they do not look like your typical shock. Do our Sc's have shocks? Yes, as part of the Strut assembly. If you have a Discount Tire or Pep Boys, or someone that sells Monroe SensaTrac Struts, go check out there display and see what a complete Strut is.
I hate to say it, but you are definitely wrong... as many others in this thread have already pointed out...

we have a coil over shock... any "strut" type suspension has the steering integrated into the strut itself...

even on the link you provided, it refers to everything as shocks... struts are only when used as in the pictures provided above, where the actual strut turns with the suspension, rather than ours that has two wishbones(control arms) and a coil over shock assembly....

Quick Reply: shock and struts