Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ball joints & tie rods w/o Control arms??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 12:53 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ball joints & tie rods w/o Control arms??

all,

got a question for you suspension gurus....im thinking about replacing my lower ball joints and outer tie rods (prob gonna buy them from sewell lexus).....

my question is: can i or should i, replace the ball joints and tie rods without replacing the upper controls arms? will this have any type of negative effect on my car?

i want to replace them because i hear some ticking noise every now and then and my steering is loose and my alignment is off.....plus i have read a few posts about ball joints breaking and causing all types of trouble and i don't want to wait till they break to replace them....

i have a 98 gs4 w/ about 96k miles on it.

whaddya think?
Old 07-19-06, 12:56 PM
bigL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replace mine at 115k and they were much. needed.There is no need to change your control arms if there is no existing problems.I believe they are 5-$600.
Old 07-19-06, 01:01 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigL
I just replace mine at 115k and they were much. needed.There is no need to change your control arms if there is no existing problems.I believe they are 5-$600.

Big L - so how does the car feel now that you replaced the ball joints and tie rods? like new? hehehe. did you get it done at the dealership? what price did you pay for parts and labor? just curious.

sewell lexus go the ball joints on sale for $99/set and the outer tie rods on sale for $93/set....the control arms are waaaaaaaay more expensive...i think they were $300+/each...so 600+ for the set....

so im prob gonna do the balljoints and tie rods first.....and IF it is needed, the control arms later cuz i got no mo loot!

dang, owning a GS is expensive...but it is tons of fun!
Old 07-19-06, 01:07 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hijack, but I did my ball joints about 10K miles ago and didn't do the tie rods at the same time. Are these two supposed to be replaced together? I have developed a new clunk in my front suspension. Will a bad tie rod produce a clunk?

Thanks
Old 07-19-06, 01:11 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by STONER
Not to hijack, but I did my ball joints about 10K miles ago and didn't do the tie rods at the same time. Are these two supposed to be replaced together? I have developed a new clunk in my front suspension. Will a bad tie rod produce a clunk?

Thanks

sup stoner - i'd like to know the answer to your questions too....seems like a common problem for GS owners. what kind of clunk do you hear and when do you hear it? just curious

where in VA u from? im originally from springfield, but now reside in fairfax. graduated from Va.Tech too....gooooooo hokies!
Old 07-19-06, 02:30 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Default just placed my order....

OK so reading more on this ball joint issue has me skerred....very skerred on the potential danger if i dont replace them and its about time anyways (96k miles)

so i ordered a set of ball joints from sewell for $99 and a set of outer tie rods for $75.......now i just gotta wait for them to arrive and have them installed......sewell has great prices
Old 07-26-06, 08:41 AM
minla007
Pole Position

how much should i expect to pay for replacing the ball joints and outer tie rods? i was just quoted $650+......and that is not including the parts, because I am supplying my own parts....i think that is a little steep.....
Old 07-26-06, 10:24 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

I agree that is steep. I live in Centreville and have a guy that does my suspension stuff that can probably beat that price.

My clunking was diagnosed to be a bad passenger side sway bar link. I ordered the part from Sewell and should be able to swap it out today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hit me on the PM for the contact info of my guy.
Old 07-26-06, 10:29 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree that is steep. I live in Centreville and have a guy that does my suspension stuff that can probably beat that price.

My clunking was diagnosed to be a bad passenger side sway bar link. I ordered the part from Sewell and should be able to swap it out today. I'll let you know how it goes.

So what was wrong with your link that caused it to clunk? If you haven't seen it yet, ask your suspension guy to save you the old one. There might be something obvious wrong with it, would like to know.

Jerry
Old 07-26-06, 10:48 AM
minla007
Pole Position

cool i hit u up on the PM...im gonna call pohanka lexus to see how much they quote me...$600+ just for the labor seems outrageous to me....
Old 07-26-06, 11:12 AM
minla007
Pole Position

ha...just called pohanka and they want $700 just for labor to replace ball joints and tie rods....WOW ...the parts i already purchased for about $175.....so w/ the labor it'll prob come out to close to $900??? WTF!
Old 07-26-06, 01:21 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Jen,

I replied to your PM. BTW, for a little over a hundred you could purchase all the tools to do this job and find the DIY on this site. Just a thought.

Jerry,

I haven't replaced the link yet. I'm going to try to DIY. How hard can it be I'll let you know or take pics. Part was $90 shipped from Sewell and $160 from Pohanka. I just call for a good laugh now when I need parts.