Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Strut replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 09:05 AM
carmcanc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut replacement

I have searched the forums but have not been able to find the answere I am looking for. I need to replace the struts on my 98 GS4 with OEM (17's) but most of the threads I see are for Coilovers. I would like to replace them with somthing that would give me the factory ride/feel but not break the bank because I will also have to replace the the tires as well. Any suggestions? When talking to my mechanic, he said if you decide to replace them, make sure you get the caps as well because if you don't, the current ones may fall apart during removal or eventually make a "clunking" sound. If that is true what's the suggested list of parts/brands would I need for replacement.

I'm assuming I should replace all four at the same time correct?
Are coilovers a better choice over the OEM setup?
What would be the cost difference between just replacing the struts vs coilovers.

Thanks in advance,

Carmen
Old 07-13-06, 09:30 AM
DruMnBaSS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it really depends what you want.... i have airbags.. and i cannot rough my car around. otherwise i peel fenders. but i do neway so ne way.. u really gotta look at why u wana get suspension replaced... BTW ( i have 4x struts id sell ya.. OEM 80k miles lol) ne way... if yr trying to race and get a stiffer suspension and better steering, you might want to look into gettin better braces and sway bars and antiroll bars. if u wana make the car lower.. you have alot of options with springs, with coilovers however you have the ability to raise and lower as you please.. but it seems that task would not be a breeze everytime. i never driven on coils on a gs but i see the car as not a race unless u have 350+ hp. id save money and keep stock: maybe lower the car, and look into the braces. im installing the daizen bushings , apparently they provide alot of support for a tighter steering and suspension allotgether