Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rack and Pinion, rattle noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-06, 08:28 PM
amul
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack and Pinion, rattle noise?

I have a 99 GS300, 95K miles. The struts, mounts, and balljoints have all been replaced due to rattle noises.
I think my rack and pinion may be loose. I also noticed a loss in power steering, but attributed to my lack of working out these past few months

Can the rattle noise be caused by the rack and pinion bushing wearing down? I feel a little clunking feel through the steering column when going over my driveway , and certain dips in the road. This led me to belive it might be the rack.

Anyone here have experience with diagnosing the problem, what to look for , where to look for?

I'm mechancially inclined, but have no idea how to work on a R and P .

I still have extended warranty coverage, but would rather see if it's a few $$ fix before taking it in .
Old 07-10-06, 03:33 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In order to check the rack assembly, you'll have to put the front end on jackstands. Then you can comfortably shake the steering with no danger. (Safety First)

Unlock the column, engine off

The steering wheel, turning lock to lock, should be smooth, with no hesitation points. No little knocking or squeak noises. Center the steering wheel.

Down at the front wheels, wobble the road wheel with both hands feeling for play or slop in the steering rod end. Compare both sides.

With a droplight, visually inspect the rod as it is fastened to the boot as it moves in and out of the rack, at the side your inspecting. Compare for each side.

Insure the rack itself is mounted tight to the body frame, not moving up and down.

Check each side and compare the amount of road wheel wobble play at center point of the rack. Correct is minimal.

Turn the steering to full lock, both left and right extremes. Recheck the steering rod play and the condiction of the rack plastic boot when pulled to it's extreme. There should be no holes or tears in either boot.

If boot holes exist, excessive play is felt or visually the rack end is loose and bounces up and down as it travels from extreme to extreme, consider the need for a remanufactured rack asembly.