Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Spring and strut or coilovers?

Old 06-22-06, 03:30 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring and strut or coilovers?

I am in desperate need of new struts. My struts are completely gone. The float in horrible! I am pretty interested in lowering my car an inch +/- a few mm. I also want a slightly stiffer ride. Ive been looking at different springs to match with a strut but would rather get opinions from people that have experienced different set ups. It seems that everyone that starts off with L-tuned usually are not too thrilled with them. If i had 1k+ I would easily go with coilovers but if I could save some chedder I would.

Lets recap:
Want to drop an inch or so
Stiffer than stock ride.
Go.

Looks like the Tein CS' are a great option but want to know IF I were to go with regular spring/strut set-up which would be great.
Mean while ill read more posting about this topic. Thanks to all.

Last edited by DzaztrBUSE; 06-22-06 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-22-06, 03:58 PM
Spanky
Driver

Auto Fashion is knowledgeable in all your suspension questions...just give them a call 858-635-6620. They can also get you great prices on coilovers or springs and struts.
Old 06-22-06, 04:01 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some bilstein sport shocks and springs of your choice. it should be lower than getting coilovers. it will lower your car and the shocks have a life time warranty.
Old 06-22-06, 06:01 PM
#1gs300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know about the other coils out there but, i had the tein ss and, they are stiffer than stock im selling them in the classified for 750 they r 2 months old i know have the new tein cs's on and i love the s87t out of them. The tein ss are stiff and they handle really well on the road. i wanted something factory, or softer with the ability to lower a little and the new cs's gave me what i was looking for.
Old 06-22-06, 09:20 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

use the search feature - there's a lot of options out there, do your homework before you buy something better to buy something and "do it right the first time" to avoid being unsatisfied or having a bad product.. good luck

imo - i suggest an actual damper/coilover kit - such as the TEIN's that're for sale in the classifieds.. you can also do new sets and you can find some good spring/shocks/struts combo out there as well...

remember! do your homework!!!
Old 06-23-06, 03:22 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

I've been readon SOOOO many thread about which suspensions most like and so far the Tein CS are top dog. To tell you the truth I am soo dizzy reading so much already. Thanks for all help.

Corkycal: Do you have the Bilstein's? If so how is the ride compared to stock. If not then why do you recommend them?
Old 06-23-06, 04:39 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I'll sell you my Eibachs springs (1.2" drop) and some brand new...in the box...KYB GR-2 shocks/struts. Im getting the Teins CS very shortly. PM if your interested
Old 06-23-06, 09:58 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DzaztrBUSE
I've been readon SOOOO many thread about which suspensions most like and so far the Tein CS are top dog. To tell you the truth I am soo dizzy reading so much already. Thanks for all help.

Corkycal: Do you have the Bilstein's? If so how is the ride compared to stock. If not then why do you recommend them?

i had l-tuned springs and bilstein sport shocks at one time and they were a great setup. i just wanted my car lower so i got some hks hipermax coilovers.

if you want a 1" drop, go for springs and the bilstein will be good. it rode better than stock. it still going to be a bit firm since bilstein runs this way.
Old 06-26-06, 07:39 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Consensus is usually just to go for the coilovers..I too went s/s and then coilovers and regretted not going straight to coilovers.
Old 06-27-06, 02:37 PM
tx1979
Driver School Candidate

I'm wondering about the same issue:

I just purchased a '98 GS400 with right over 100k miles and my ride is total crap. All bumps and road imperfections are harsh and transmit considerable shake/rattle to the steering wheel. I've been quoted $1,400 by a local Lexus dealership to replace the OEM Shock/Strut setup and feel that going coilovers might be preferable (and I'll save a little bit of money too).

Were I to go the coilover route I would most certainly go for the newer Tein CS that everyone raves about. My main concern is ride comfort and I'm pretty sure anything is better than my current setup (stock with 100k). On to the questions...

If I go with the newer CS coilovers, do I need to make any other modifications (steering, ball joints, etc.) or am I set? If, in the future, I want to add 18" OEM '06 GS wheels/tires do I have enough room with the CS (I've read that they lower the car)? Am I going to run into any camber issues?

Lets pretend I know nothing of suspensions ('cuz I don't) and I want a better ride with marginally better handling. I also want to retain a fairly "stock look" without "slamming" my car. In your expert opinions what avenue(s) should I pursue?

Thanks in advance!

Edit:

Another Question: Given the mileage of my car what should've (or probably has) been worn out by this point on my suspension? I read on another thread something about control-arms and bushings. Any information would help as I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to need to replace.

Last edited by tx1979; 06-28-06 at 10:25 AM.