Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sway bars ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-01, 08:34 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sway bars ...

Just wondering how many of you are running aftermarket swaybars and what types sizes and where you got them ?

Thanx
Old 09-26-01, 10:43 PM
qwert26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question just one question

just one question ive heard of sway bars an strut bars...just curious whats tha difference arent they involving the same principle of less body roll an more structural rigidity...so whats the difference???

late
Old 09-27-01, 07:39 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Well Qwert26 Strut bars generaly bolt to the shock towers on top in the engine bay or trunk to tie the two sides together reducing body flex. And bacicly Sway bars reduce body roll by using the sprung weight from the side of the car with weight on it to push on the other side, they tie the two suspensions together.

HTH
Old 10-15-01, 09:16 AM
captclam
Rookie

Default Improvement in cornering?

Do this really make a sig. improv.??

How much does it cost to do this?

Kirk
Old 10-16-01, 07:08 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Default Yes it does...

Captclam, it makes a very notacable difference IMO. Not one all drivers like mind you. I like the luxo-lexus-look but I still want to be able to hang with the euro-sports cars. Sway bars DO tend to make the ride a little bit rougher but its somthing I am willing to sacrifice for a car on rails...

Oh and cost depends on type of car. my honda I got a Pair of them for 325. From what I hear the lexus ones if you can find them go from 325 each to 750 each ?
Old 10-22-01, 04:21 PM
amati5
Driver

Sway bars definitely improve body roll. I have been looking for after market sway bars for my sc400 and so far, no one sell them.

Strut bars may not do much to the flex of the car as i've heard many people mentioned it. I know lot of people use the strut bars to reduce the cowl shake of Miatas becauce of their stiffness and had no luck. I don't think strut bars would do much on Lexuses (with original suspensions) since they are not that stiff.
Old 11-07-01, 01:15 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who makes strut bars for the SC4? and sway bars for the SC4?
Old 11-07-01, 01:55 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Default SC4 Bars

Papanature, Cusco makes sway &strut bars for your car
you can get them on clearance at www.turboimports.com
Old 11-12-01, 11:51 AM
cupete
Pole Position

Smile SC4 Sway Bars

Are SC300 Sway Bars from Turboimports fit SC400?
Old 11-12-01, 01:29 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well one thing to point out... in my experience... stiffer springs make a much more dramatic improvement of bodyroll than a sway bar does...

sway bars help too but not as much... I guess its that mod to take the bodyroll elimination a step further
Old 11-16-01, 06:11 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Bean
well one thing to point out... in my experience... stiffer springs make a much more dramatic improvement of bodyroll than a sway bar does...

sway bars help too but not as much... I guess its that mod to take the bodyroll elimination a step further
Bean is right, your biggest improvement is the springs/struts upgrade. The Strut bar and sway bars work in conjunction with the struts/springs. So a stock vehicle will not notice the difference as much as a highly modded car; in which the difference is quite noticable. Strut bars and sway bars aren't really necessary for the street. They make the suspension too stiff, and with todays bumpy roads, they can actually decrease you handeling ability. They are necessary if you do any kind of racing on a controled track.

My Rx-7 is modded up the @ss, but I won't do too much to the SC except maybe a strut bar so as to help keep my overpriced allignments from getting banged out of position.

You need to determine what your needs are; will you enter in any competitive events with your car? If not, then it's the ever so famous - "To rice, or not to rice, that is the question"!!!

Keith
Old 11-16-01, 07:36 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Default What....

I agree that springs and struts/coilovers make A big improvment but how are you going to tune in or out oversteer or understeer without sway bars ?

Sure you can over-inflate or under-inflate your tires but at the cost of sacrificing a good set of street tires (not worth it to me)...

Not to say I am a wreckless driver but I like to experience the full effect of suspension on twisty roads and freeway on/off ramps and such.

IMO I think sway bars are the single biggest improvment on a cars suspension.
Old 11-18-01, 05:37 PM
rboorgu
Rookie

Another option would be to replace the stock rubber bushings with polyurethane ones. Energy Suspension has many sizes available. We just need to find out the size of the stock bars. Also, the sway bar like have rubber bushings in them. Replacing them with custom units sourced from

www.bakerprecision.com would also make a big improvemwnt and would be cheap.

Maybe we can try to get the sizes. I think it would be pretty cheap to get stainless steel brake lines from them too. They have preassembled hoses for about 10 dollars a piece.

Raj 92 SC400
Old 11-19-01, 07:37 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Default If your interested

I am haveing sway bars made if anyones interested ?
Old 11-19-01, 08:34 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree, adjustable shocks when you adjust them different from the front and rear will make a big difference in understeer/oversteer and plus the spring rate of both the front and back springs...

sway bars help; but you seem to be saying the SC3 has no sway bars stock or something... maybe i'm reading that wrong

don't bother putting a strut tower bar in the front... i'd get one in the back if possible; and as keith13b mentioned only for roar racing or pure pavement driving; if you get on bumpy roads you're going to lose handling capability...

Oh and urethane bushings are pretty sweet except your Lexus is going to rattle to hell and back, not to mention bushing replacements is the single HARDEST AND MOST ANNOYING AND TIME CONSUMING suspension mod you can do on your car... i wouldnt bother with them...

get springs/shocks with the SupraTT rear springs and rear shocks, get wide rims, wide tires; adjust the shocks to your liking then call it a day...
no point in trying to make the car handle THAT well... if you want an auto-cross car go buy an RX-7 or Miata
the SC300 can only be pushed so far before its luxurious ride yet capable handling will be pushed too far to one side of the chasm of ride comfort vs performance

Last edited by Bean; 11-19-01 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Sway bars ...