Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Hey Performance modders, have you had to ditch your rear STB in favour of some ICE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-06, 07:42 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 315 Likes on 193 Posts
Default Hey Performance modders, have you had to ditch your rear STB in favour of some ICE?

For those of you that are performance focussed modders first (like me), have you had to ditch your rear STB in favour of some I.C.E. mod?

I am going through withdrawal symtoms as I had to make a touch decision to ditch my beautiful aluminum Cusco rear STB just so that my trunk can still be useful in favour of the I.C.E. upgrade I just completed this week and put a sub box in that same spot.

Who else had to do that?

I figured it was a trade off that was worth it in the end, considering that I don't track the car......., however I still wish I could have kept it the way DaveGS4 kept his.
Old 07-04-06, 09:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hameed
For those of you that are performance focussed modders first (like me), have you had to ditch your rear STB in favour of some I.C.E. mod?

I am going through withdrawal symtoms as I had to make a touch decision to ditch my beautiful aluminum Cusco rear STB just so that my trunk can still be useful in favour of the I.C.E. upgrade I just completed this week and put a sub box in that same spot.

Who else had to do that?

I figured it was a trade off that was worth it in the end, considering that I don't track the car......., however I still wish I could have kept it the way DaveGS4 kept his.
I've never been a huge stereo guy so I can't relate. Dave's trunk is banannas, what a good *** idea and flawless execution.

How big your rear STB? Maybe go with a slimmer one?
Old 07-04-06, 10:00 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've never been a huge stereo guy so I can't relate. Dave's trunk is banannas, what a good *** idea and flawless execution.

How big your rear STB? Maybe go with a slimmer one?
The size will not make any difference. The sub box takes up that space in its width from the rear deck to just beyond the end of that shelf.

I may have to ditch the sub box in favour of something custom and put the box on the right-hand side of the trunk instead and then I will be able to get the STB back in there.
Old 07-04-06, 10:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hameed
The size will not make any difference. The sub box takes up that space in its width from the rear deck to just beyond the end of that shelf.

I may have to ditch the sub box in favour of something custom and put the box on the right-hand side of the trunk instead and then I will be able to get the STB back in there.
i wonder how much the rear STB helps? I do remember, to me, it did make the rear feel more balanced and tight. Though it could have been just me
Old 07-04-06, 11:17 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
i wonder how much the rear STB helps? I do remember, to me, it did make the rear feel more balanced and tight. Though it could have been just me
I am positive that the difference it makes will only be noticed in spirited canyon runs and similar type of driving. The GS chassis is pretty stiff to begin with anyway.
Old 07-04-06, 11:29 AM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your gonna get rid of your STB let me know i'll take it off your hands...
Old 07-04-06, 02:46 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a cusco stb also... the Fat round one for the rear. Still trying to picture how i'm going to build my box around it also. Anybody want to share some ideas and tips with me and hameed?

Losing the rear stb is not and option for me.
Old 07-05-06, 09:06 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Best option is to do something like Dave did with his rear stb and box..
Old 07-05-06, 09:16 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelex
Best option is to do something like Dave did with his rear stb and box..
This would be my first choice and if I ever get around to upgrading, my trunk would look very similar to Dave's.
Old 07-05-06, 09:43 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear STB!

I recently installed my UGO rear STB ,with hopes of keeping it along with modding my trunk for music! Most veteran modding guru's have removed the rear STB and really didn't notice much of a change in performance afterwards!
Old 07-05-06, 09:56 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never had a rear stb.. i just put in a custom box.. i might do some sways to compensate not having the rear stb.. but i don't even know if it makes a big difference.. lol
Old 07-05-06, 02:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

box? what box. go Infinite baffle!!

I would build a hole in the middle of the box so the STB can go through. It's a bit of work, but an option if you really need that STB. Though to me, audio is my first priority over performance, since I drive in the city and the sharpest turn I'll ever make will be at 20mph.
Old 07-05-06, 09:13 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't seen Dave's pictures, but I have a sub to put in my car right now and I'm always debating that rear STB-like action. I'd love to get one.

Just to get a picture in my head, are you guys thinking of having a two-piece box, using some kind of hollow conduit through it's length where the STB would then reside? I'm imagining assembly of the two pieces (and STB through the box) OUTSIDE of the car, then once the two pieces are assembled, putting it in the trunk and bolting the STB in place.

Uhhh, I guess that's assuming you can fit the darn thing through the trunk opening at that point!

Or, I guess a welder/fabricator would modify his STB around the box. Too bad I can't weld.

Old 07-05-06, 09:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
I haven't seen Dave's pictures, but I have a sub to put in my car right now and I'm always debating that rear STB-like action. I'd love to get one.

Here you go... In process buildup pics click here

Since I had a shop do the intall I can't answer too many technical questions on the 'how' but the pics show a lot of the in-process stuff.
Old 07-06-06, 12:40 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I was also going to just duplicate Dave's design and have the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: Hey Performance modders, have you had to ditch your rear STB in favour of some ICE?