Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Is this true about one piece strut bars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 10:25 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Is this true about one piece strut bars?

I was browsing the classifieds for a rear strut bar and I happened upon this thread from Pearlpower. I have quoted and linked to it.

"Up for sale are strut braces for the front and rear of a GS400. Not sure about GS430, GS300 fitment. In excellent condition. Nice two piece design makes this fit much easier vs other designs plus you can access your engine without throwing off your alignment as one piece designs will."

Is this true? This would explain why my car started shaking a little after I installed the front CarsonTuned strut bar. I wish I would have found this out earlier so I can sleep easier at night not having to worry about wtf is going on. I havent hit one single pot hole in my new wheels. Guess after the Tein's settle in I will have it aligned and never touch it.
Old 06-09-06, 11:27 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of a strut bar messing up with alignment. I have worked with so many cars in the past that I can say 100% of the bars I have installed has never caused such problem.

On the other hand, 2 piece strut bars allows more play when installing in a car vs a solid piece. Sometimes with a solid piece you have to jack up the car so the mounting points on the bolts line up with the bar. I had to do that on several cars.

When does your car start to shake lexbox? The bars should not cause such problems.
Old 06-09-06, 11:49 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by benzo555
Never heard of a strut bar messing up with alignment. I have worked with so many cars in the past that I can say 100% of the bars I have installed has never caused such problem.

On the other hand, 2 piece strut bars allows more play when installing in a car vs a solid piece. Sometimes with a solid piece you have to jack up the car so the mounting points on the bolts line up with the bar. I had to do that on several cars.

When does your car start to shake lexbox? The bars should not cause such problems.
I didnt have the luxury of being able to jack up the car when installing the bar although I did have a small problem lining up the bolts but I was able to get it to fit. The car was 100% perfect at all speeds before the installation of the bar. So you think I should lift the car to perfectly center the bolts with the holes provided on the strut bar? If so, I would imagine the engineering behind the CarsonTuned bar must be exact or the idea would fail.
Old 06-12-06, 01:44 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Aw man, no one else has more input about this possibility?
Old 06-12-06, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well here's the thing. t echnically every time you mess with suspension, an alignment might be warranted to make sure everything is in place, and yes the stb is part of suspension. so there you go. granted though, personally i don't think it's going to make that much of a difference on alignment?