Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Eclipse or Tein and TTE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 08:57 PM
PlatGS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eclipse or Tein and TTE?

OK, so I need some advice on what my next step should be because the people around me aren't really into cars so they are no help.

I just bought an Eclipse AVN5435 and the box is sitting here at my house waiting for my face plate to arrive from l-tunedparts. But the thing is now I am tempted to get the Tein CS and a TTE front lip spoiler for the same money. I would have to return the Eclipse though since my wife doesn't want me breaking the bank on car stuff. (did I just admit that in public!! )

So do I begin my modding with the Eclipse or with Tein's and the TTE??? Everybody I ask says stick to the Eclipse but that's because they could care less on how low a car sits. But I know I can get some real advice here.....

I have some 20's on now and to be honest....I regret getting the ones I did. If I would have been a member here before I bought them....I wouldn't have made that purchase.

So anyways.....where would the money be better spent? Thanks guys.
Old 06-06-06, 09:36 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Personally I would go with the Tein and TRD Sway bar for that money, but thats because I am a "spirited" driver

Most of my friends install all the ICE(in car entertainment) systems before they do anything else on their cars. For me, I do more performance stuff than entertainment stuff. I finally got around to installing a set of subs, so I'm slowly catching up to my friends ICE's Hopefully I get to surpass theirs once I hook up my custom CarPC....which keep in mind costs half of a good Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer ICE
Old 06-06-06, 09:41 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Personally I would go with the Tein and TRD Sway bar for that money, but thats because I am a "spirited" driver

Most of my friends install all the ICE(in car entertainment) systems before they do anything else on their cars. For me, I do more performance stuff than entertainment stuff. I finally got around to installing a set of subs, so I'm slowly catching up to my friends ICE's Hopefully I get to surpass theirs once I hook up my custom CarPC....which keep in mind costs half of a good Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer ICE
I agree with Jeff. I'm more performance-minded now than ICE. But 10 years ago, I would have definitely spent $5k on the ICE before ANY performance mods. It's your call...your money.

Hey Jeff...what's a CarPC? And why is it so much less than an aftermarket headunit? Does it do the same thing? I'm confused.
Old 06-06-06, 09:48 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go with the tein CS and the TTE lip. if you install the radio, you'll most likely want to upgrade the bass and add more subs, amps, etc... all of it costing more and more money...

the stock radio isn't that bad. the float of the stock suspension is downright dangerous and doesn't really give you the confidence you need to take curves as fast as you may want. although the TTE lip is popular on CL, it sure isn't popular on the streets. it looks factory and really puts an aggressive yet refined look to the front end.

Before

After
Old 06-06-06, 09:49 PM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, performance before ICE! You can feel the diffrence in your drive over listening and feeling how your car feels with some Coilovers/Sways/Brakes/etc.... I'm just going off another cliff
Old 06-06-06, 11:09 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Hey Jeff...what's a CarPC? And why is it so much less than an aftermarket headunit? Does it do the same thing? I'm confused.
Pretty much as the name states....a Car PC or Car Computer. An actual computer in the car...don't think I can get any more clear than that

Anyways. For a decent CarPC setup, it will run about $800. My friend got a Pioneer Z1 a few weeks back. I think he paid about $1600 for it. Thats the fancy one with the 7" lcd and 30gb hard drive for mp3s.

The CarPC costs about $400-500 for the computer itself. $250 for the 8" LCD touchscreen. $100 for the power supply. I have a few other goodies added such as a GPS reciever $70, and OBD2 interface. The add-ons are pretty much endless if you have some computer knowledge. I still haven't installed my CarPC yet because I'm waiting to get a Viper alarm before I put anything valuable in the car.

Originally Posted by cliffud
although the TTE lip is popular on CL, it sure isn't popular on the streets. it looks factory and really puts an aggressive yet refined look to the front end.
Cliffud, how come you say the TTE is not popular on the street. Were you inferring that it gets damaged easily because it's so low? Or did you actually mean that other people don't like the look of a TTE lip?

It is a factory look because the car should of came that way....but the reason the car didn't come like this from the factory is because of the curb factor and also potholes/speedbumps. Most drivers usually pull the car up to the curb or the park stop until the wheel hits it. If the front bumper came from the factory TTE style..there would be thousands of complaints. Thats also why the suspension is so high in stock form. My car is lowered and I don't have the TTE, but sometimes when I am careless...I accidentally scrape up on the curb a little bit. I would hate to see what Lowered+TTE+Curb will turn into....lol
Old 06-06-06, 11:51 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Cliffud, how come you say the TTE is not popular on the street. Were you inferring that it gets damaged easily because it's so low? Or did you actually mean that other people don't like the look of a TTE lip?

It is a factory look because the car should of came that way....but the reason the car didn't come like this from the factory is because of the curb factor and also potholes/speedbumps. Most drivers usually pull the car up to the curb or the park stop until the wheel hits it. If the front bumper came from the factory TTE style..there would be thousands of complaints. Thats also why the suspension is so high in stock form. My car is lowered and I don't have the TTE, but sometimes when I am careless...I accidentally scrape up on the curb a little bit. I would hate to see what Lowered+TTE+Curb will turn into....lol
I didn't mean that it's not popular on the street due to the fact that it's easy to curb rash it (i have one myself) I merely was talking about how not a lot of people have one out there. on CL - yes, it's popular because everyone here cares about their car in an extreme way. on the street, some people don't know the difference or notice it at all.
Old 06-07-06, 01:57 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Im inclined to say go with the performance parts too, especially if you can several parts for the same price as the eclipse. Then again, that maybe because Im content with the stock audio for now.
Old 06-07-06, 05:48 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I say go with the Teins and TTE lip.. I think you will be much happier. The visual mods will have more of an impact on you than the boomin stereo IMO. For me i try to be different.. I'd rather have the cosmetic mods that no one else has than a stereo that thumps which everyone has. I'm not putting down the guys with ice but it seems like thats what everyone does is get the ICE first..

Anyway to make your car stand out the Teins and TTE lip will make the most difference.. Good Luck..

Tony
Old 06-07-06, 06:07 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

If you're sitting on 20's, you need to lower that GS. Go with the suspension upgrades first.
Old 06-07-06, 10:18 AM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to go suspension and TTE. You will love the Tein CS and the TTE will help set off the car. If you have 20's right now, you have to get the Tein. I cant see a fellow GS member with 20's and stock height
Old 06-07-06, 10:21 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with suspension, wheels, body and have not even upgraded the system yet. The system in the GS is OK unless you are really critical. You get more bang for the buck fixing the suspension and accenting the body lines. With 20s, you need to lower it anyway.

I am not sure though. You already have the Eclipse. What will you do with it? Can you return it like you said? Otherwise, if you sell it, you will lose some $.
Old 06-07-06, 11:50 AM
PlatGS400
Driver

Thanks guys for the input.

To be honest, I never even noticed how funny the car looks on 20's at stock height until I started lurking here more often the last month or so. Ughhh. Anyways, I just talked to Gordon and I am ordering the Tein's and TTE. I think you guys are right about going with the suspension before worrying about gravy stuff like audio equipment.

I will start to piece together the rest of the body (skirts, rear bumper, roof and trunk spoilers) as time goes on. I am sure I don't have to explain to you guys how quickly this becomes addicting.....and expensive.

So thanks again for the advice and I'll post some before/after pics once I get the Teins on and then more later once the TTE comes in.

I'll be posting more and stop the lurking thing now.
Old 06-07-06, 12:07 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

if you're going to be buying body kit pieces individually, i would wait to get everything as opposed to painting one piece at a time. it will cost less to paint all the pieces together.

Last edited by corkycal; 06-07-06 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-07-06, 03:37 PM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stereo vs. Tiens/TTE LIP

I say go with the TTE lip/Teins! I'm building my car from the outside inward and feel very happy about how it looks! The stock radio isn't that bad and should do until your ready to start modding the stereo! The drive and feel is something that you will experience daily and trust me, if you do it right you won't regret it! It's really up to you!

Quick Reply: Eclipse or Tein and TTE?