Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What the F***!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-01, 05:08 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What the F***!!!

I went in to balance my wheels today due to some periodic vibration feedback to my steering wheel and low and behold......
The inside of my front tires were like racing slicks!!! Now I'm pretty good at staying on top of my ride and keeping it up, but damn! That ****** was some surprise!!! And not a pleasant one! I guess I underestimated these sorry a** roads which obviously knocked the ****** out of my camber setting!!!!!!
Well, next stop, The Allignment Shop! Whew, I'm threw venting. As you know, I'm riding on 18x8.5 w/ L-Tuned drop. The sad part is the outside and center of the fronts are meaty as hell! and the rears have a ******load of miles to go before they need changing. Oh well, guess I'll slap my 17 in. Factory Chromes w/ brand new Nitto's that have been resting in my garage on my GS for now. But I need all the suggestions you guys have on this matter so I don't experience this crap again...........:eek:
Old 09-25-01, 03:47 AM
paul1234
Driver School Candidate

Default When you had the L-tuned...

... put on, did they align all 4 wheels? Always a worry when they lower the car.
Old 09-25-01, 07:10 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Yep. Sure did! When I go this afternoon, I'll be sure and be under the car too!! To give some direction!
Old 09-25-01, 07:54 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

well, just make sure you check your tires condition more often. every week or something. So you can discover this problem earlier. Also, check your tire pressure more often too, this effect your tire directly, maybe you are running low on both front, but your alignment is just fine. you did not hit a curve or anything since your last alignment? did the alignment place give you a printout lastime and showed you how much correction they made or whether you are in specs or not? check that paper this time.

i am running RMM spring/shocks on 18" 8.5"f-10"r with perfect wear and tear on the tires. so i don't think you have this problem due to your l-tune spring drop.

Last edited by BananaGS; 09-25-01 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-25-01, 10:52 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

How did you hook up the E-Shift on your 98?
Old 09-25-01, 11:13 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by CSHFLW
How did you hook up the E-Shift on your 98?
All '98 GS4's have E-shift. Seems TXSTYLE just got a custom steering wheel.
Old 09-25-01, 11:16 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

TXSTYLE,

I also have probs running the inside more on the front tires. I have Teins and may be lower, but we run out of camber adjustment quick on the GS by its design. I keep mine aligned as much as possible. Our cars need a camber kit.
Old 09-25-01, 04:28 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up Got my allignment printout!

Well rather than post all the camber and toe numbers on here, let me just tell you....... THEY WERE *********** UP!!!
First of all my fronts were way in the Negative and my rears were battling each other with the left one high negative and the right one high positive! Now how in the hell that happened is one for the rocket scientists. All I know is me and the 2 guys had a long discussion about it and how the fact that our cars don't have front Caster adjustments??? Which they both believe would have significantly helped in this situation. But I was surprised to hear that they have seen similar inside wear on regular GS's. So I think my boy QBranch is on to something there! Well for now I have bolted up my factory 17 chrome w/ brand new Nitto NT555's
that I had sitting in my garage in the event of an emergency or in this case, I'm going to sell my Zenetti's and make a rim change. After thinking about it, I did hit the **** out of a "pavement change" on the damn Tollway about 2 months ago! Oh well another day another dollar spent on the Tasty Ride!

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 09-25-01 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-25-01, 05:48 PM
Mighty G
Driver School Candidate

Default Wheel alignment

Had the same problem. Never knew it till I went to have them rotated. I freaked on the guy at the dealership, they bought me 2 new tires .

I've never heard this before. But, the service rep said to do a 4 wheel alignment every year. I guess that is the result of greaseless suspensions.

Mighty G.
Old 09-25-01, 06:13 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

A 4 wheel allignment every year??? TRY EVERY OIL CHANGE FOR ME FROM NOW ON! Actually I had been getting one twice a year, but hell since I have LIFETIME ALLIGNMENT AGREEMENT I'm gonna put that bad boy to use!
Old 10-06-01, 10:09 PM
drmanny3
Driver School Candidate

Default Excessive inside tire wear

I have a 99 gs400 with Eibach springs 1inch lowered and bilstein shocks. My tires have wasted away on the inside. Lexus has done an alignment and still the wear continues. Their shop service supervisor claims all gs 400s wear on the inside and that no amount of alignment will stop this. I told him my driver front was wearing much worst than the passanger front. He claims that it is the right turns that are sharper and therefore cause more wear. This was at Tustin Lexus. I am thinking of contacting Lexus and complaining. I feel like I am being given bull **** as an answer. I drive fast but do not take hard corners. How many of you out there have had the same experience? I am thinking something is wrong with my particular car. Any ideas? I have a similar problem in the rear. Eibach verifed that my springs are the correct part numbers and that each side is at the correct height.

Thanks

Manny
Old 10-07-01, 09:11 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock Mercedes do this also,always have;lots of caster helps the handling,but at a price.They don't call'em luxury cars fer nuthin.
Old 10-07-01, 10:23 AM
paul1234
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Excessive inside tire wear

Of course you are being BS'ed but, if you complain to Lexus, the first thing the factory rep will tell you is; "Put back stock Lexus equipment and we will see if there is a problem" There is no way a mfg. is going to worry about a problem involving tire wear with aftermarket suspension equiptment.

Can you find a more sympathetic Lexus dealer or a "good" aftermarket shop. Even the run of the mill Goodyear\Firestone store should be able to diagnose this.

With 35,000 on my 99 GS4 no uneven wear on tires. Just upgrades suspension with L-tuned and TRD sways so only time will tell.

I have a 99 gs400 with Eibach springs 1inch lowered and bilstein shocks. My tires have wasted away on the inside. Lexus has done an alignment and still the wear continues. Their shop service supervisor claims all gs 400s wear on the inside and that no amount of alignment will stop this. I told him my driver front was wearing much worst than the passanger front. He claims that it is the right turns that are sharper and therefore cause more wear. This was at Tustin Lexus. I am thinking of contacting Lexus and complaining. I feel like I am being given bull **** as an answer. I drive fast but do not take hard corners. How many of you out there have had the same experience? I am thinking something is wrong with my particular car. Any ideas? I have a similar problem in the rear. Eibach verifed that my springs are the correct part numbers and that each side is at the correct height.

Thanks

Manny
[/QUOTE]
Old 10-08-01, 07:29 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Hey guys, I'm gonna post a "Sticky" on the GS forum to see what the response is like! Maybe someone out there has found a "Wonder Fix!"