Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension Choice

Old 09-19-01, 07:42 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension Choice

Can any one recommand a good Suspension set?

My driveway is on a half hill I can lower approx 1" at most. I know that the L-Tuned lower about 1" ... but most of the comment on the LT is too soft..

What else is there? Bilstein shock with LT Spring? to have the firm ride.. but mininum lower...1"

I have a 2000GS4. Can anyone recommand anything?
Old 09-19-01, 09:19 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shin,

based on your driveway incline, your best bet would be the EIBACH springs (~$250-275)+ Bilsteins sport shocks. the drop on eibach and l-tuned springs are about the same, and the shocks would be more to your taste.

i have a brand new set of the Bilstein shocks only that can be shipped to yoru door for $425. you can PM me, thanks

or, if your budget allows(~$1100 and more), you can get the adjustible coilovers.

william
Old 09-21-01, 07:02 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shin, Im about to upgrade suspension as well.Im getting wheels as soon as they get here and according to will ill need to lower,so Im might as well do suspension the same time my wheelsgo on.gs4Will tell us what you think thanks,badbtsz
Old 09-21-01, 07:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts
Default Re: Suspension Choice

Originally posted by Shinchan
Can any one recommand a good Suspension set?

My driveway is on a half hill I can lower approx 1" at most. I know that the L-Tuned lower about 1" ... but most of the comment on the LT is too soft..

What else is there? Bilstein shock with LT Spring? to have the firm ride.. but mininum lower...1"

I have a 2000GS4. Can anyone recommand anything?
The L-tuned setup ARE Eibach springs, by the way, with a brand of shocks (begins with a K) whose name escapes me.

I haven't seen any comments that L-Tuned is soft, although yes it's softer than coilovers.

I suggest you find someone who has one and go in it to see.

Also, Boston's roads are so awful I wouldn't want a firmer setup.

If you get L-Tuned and it doesn't provide enough damping, adding the TRD sways makes another big step in reducing body roll.
Old 09-21-01, 07:48 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I am gettting all kind of mix signal here...

bitkahuna, you have the LT suspension set.. what How does the car feel? I also own a BMW330i with sport suspension.. I love the stiff ride on that..
By the way.. I have TRD Front Strut Bar..TRD LCB, TRD Sway already on the ride.. still think its too soft. couple of recommendation was to have the beef up the suspension.. Yes Boston road are the worse crap that you have ever seen..
I wish there are some more Boston member.. the only other CL member that I am recently aware of is: BadBtsz4u. Which he is also waiting to setup suspension..

BadBtsz4u: Let me know what you decide.. I am definitely getting the LT-Spring.. Not too sure about Suspension.. (Bilestin or LT). I really admire your courage on getting a big wheel with low profile tire.. I have several friends that have their 18" wheel ruin all the time.. As for me.. I spend so much this month on mod the car... I went with 17" LT wheel... (got it for $1600)... except..17" look really small on a GS4... perception.. i guess..
Let me know who will install the new toys for you.. Auto haus told me that they will install the spring/shock for $250... 3 hours of labour..
Old 09-21-01, 08:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Shinchan
bitkahuna, you have the LT suspension set.. what How does the car feel? I also own a BMW330i with sport suspension.. I love the stiff ride on that..
By the way.. I have TRD Front Strut Bar..TRD LCB, TRD Sway already on the ride.. still think its too soft.
My car feels comfortable yet very capable. The L-Tuned springs/shocks have no 'float' and excessive up/down oscillations that the stock setup has. It lowers the car an inch which looks great too. But it's really hard for me to tell you how it feels.

But believe me, I can RIP around in this car. It's NOTHING like it was when it was stock. Glad you've already got sways and braces done, that's a big part of it too, but the springs/shocks are the first thing to do really, not the last.

There may be cars with L-Tuned springs/shocks in the NYC area, and it might be worth a drive down to check one out.
Old 09-21-01, 10:34 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

bad/shin

getting both suspension pieces including srpings and shocks will give you max positive results as well as save you labor and future alignment costs. as far as the shocks go, both bilstein and l-tuned are good, the former is a bit firmer ride than the l-tuned. shin, if you like the bmw rides, you might want to consider the BILSTEINS as did many guys here who either owned bmw before, or at the present time. most beemer guys swear by the bilstiens .

bad,

if budget allows, do the wheels, tyres and lowering all at the same time for the LOOK and improved handling.

william
Old 09-22-01, 08:09 AM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Thanks for the advice will
Old 09-22-01, 09:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BadBtsz4u
Thanks for the advice will
You're welcome.
Old 09-22-01, 10:39 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Bad,

glad to be of help. any other qs, just ask away, i'll try my best.

william
Old 09-23-01, 10:05 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

Totally understand your situation, living in SF is any better than Boston roads...i would sugg. going with the Tein Ha and lowering the car 1" all around since you can do this compare to other non- coil over system,...also put setting on 2 click all around...with this setup you atleast have your 1" lowering plus 16 diff...setting and belive me 2 clicks from the softest setting will around out due L-tuned and if not close enough to the bilestein/H&R..and finally in the long run like other non coil over system shocks/springs will go bad, atleast with the coilover if the ride is getting two soft and this click to a stiffer setting..hope this helps.
Old 09-24-01, 04:12 AM
paul1234
Driver School Candidate

Default Shinchan L-Tuned

I have the complete LT package on my 99 GS4. [shks, springs, f&r sways] Ride is a little firmer than my old 323 BMW. I think it is an excellent solution for the soft Buick style ride that came with the OE 4's.

Having lived in Chicago, I can not believe anyone would want anything firmer for a daily driver among big city potholes.

I decided against coilovers because I was concerned over replacment costs. All shocks leak sooner or later, and I would hate to be two years down the road and find out that Tien has left the US market. (I don't think that is a worry with Bilstiens) In addition, I felt that the cost of the coil overs couldn't be justified on a street car. Maybe if you were doing some weekend drags or autocrossing, but then this wouldn't be the car you'd be using.

If you are as silly as I am, it is a great temptation to get "what the racers use" or the latest techy 'thing' {still looking at plasma tvs]
But they are still just cars and 150 K comes around pretty fast and it's time to buy another toy, and I've never known anyone that has sold a tricked out car for what they had in it.
Old 09-24-01, 10:21 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Paul,

points well made about consumer goods. i saw this guy who was selling his 99/00(forgot ) gs4 for $55-60k with some body kit and wheels. but, no takers.

love the plasma tv, still waiting....bilsteins has limited lifetime warranty, so no worries.

william
Old 09-25-01, 02:55 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Suspension Choice

Originally posted by bitkahuna

The L-tuned setup ARE Eibach springs, by the way, with a brand of shocks (begins with a K) whose name escapes me.

I haven't seen any comments that L-Tuned is soft, although yes it's softer than coilovers.

I suggest you find someone who has one and go in it to see.

Also, Boston's roads are so awful I wouldn't want a firmer setup.

If you get L-Tuned and it doesn't provide enough damping, adding the TRD sways makes another big step in reducing body roll.
If I am not mistaken, you are correct Bit....The L-tuned is a KYB manufactured shock......
I used the Eiback pro-kit springs w/stock shocks for over a year before switching to the L-tuned shocks....It is a NIGHT AND DAY difference! It DEFINITELY eliminated alot of the body-roll while cornering....It is immediately noticable....As for what shock to use, I probably would have purchased the Billsteins for overall performance, but I got the L-tuned as a X-mas present so I went ahead and used them instead....Damn good deal for under $250 though...Tiny
Old 09-25-01, 08:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Suspension Choice

Originally posted by tinygs
I used the Eiback pro-kit springs w/stock shocks for over a year before switching to the L-tuned shocks....It is a NIGHT AND DAY difference! It DEFINITELY eliminated alot of the body-roll while cornering....It is immediately noticable
Thanks Tiny. Many people on here think they can cut corners and not replace shocks or go some other cheap route, but in the L-Tuned case we have to assume that Lexus did a springs AND shocks package for a REASON and that they're well matched. L-Tuned didn't say go ahead and replace one or the other, they promote them together.

Anyway, glad you like the package. Sure, we can get even more capable rides (adding TRD sways made a further huge difference), but eventually we have to decide how much harshness we're willing to put up with (not to mention how much we're willing to spend).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Choice