Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

what is a pillowball mount?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 09:06 AM
TedxGS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is a pillowball mount?

I recently purchased the Tein SS coilovers and it says pillowball mounts arent included. What is that? I did a brief search but could not find what it is. thanks.
Old 05-10-06, 10:08 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TedxGS
I recently purchased the Tein SS coilovers and it says pillowball mounts arent included. What is that? I did a brief search but could not find what it is. thanks.
That means you'll have to use your OEM strut mounts in order to make your Coilovers work, or you can purchase pillow ball mounts from Tein.

Note: Most pillowball mounts come as solid metal piece, usually do not have rubber cushion like OEM does. In your case you have to reuse your OEM upper strut mounts on your SS Teins.
Old 05-10-06, 10:13 AM
TedxGS
Pole Position

thanks lexsoos for the response, is it recommended that i should buy pillowball mounts or is it still ok to be using my stock ones.
Old 05-10-06, 10:27 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Well, it all depends what kind of ride are you looking for. Pillowball mount will give you better steering reponse but you'll have to sacrify ride quality, solid mounts transfer much more road noise on steering wheel also make suspention noisier a lil bit. OEM mounts are more comfortable but with Tein SS diffrence betwen both is bearly noticable. In every day driving it wont matter unless you'll track alot. Save money and reuse OEM mounts.
Old 05-10-06, 10:38 AM
TedxGS
Pole Position

thanks again lexsoos for clearing this up for me. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-10-06, 10:59 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TedxGS
thanks again lexsoos for clearing this up for me. I really appreciate it.
No problem,
Old 05-10-06, 11:26 AM
StasGS4
Driver

Hey Lexsoos!

Do you have any pictures of your car?
Old 05-10-06, 12:07 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StasGS4
Hey Lexsoos!

Do you have any pictures of your car?
yes i do have few, why?
Old 05-10-06, 12:14 PM
StasGS4
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
yes i do have few, why?
I just wanted to see what your wheels look like on the GS. I am considering getting a set for myself. Also, you sig states that they are heavy. Whould you happen to know their weight exactly? Thanks!
Old 05-10-06, 12:28 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

They are about 30 pounds each+tire. Bought them 9 months ago for 1800 shipped, could not afford for quality wheels at that time but i don't regret purchase i've made. Here is my old picture from last year, no spacers on:
Attached Thumbnails what is a pillowball mount?-my_picture_016.jpg  
Old 05-10-06, 02:39 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Pillowball mounts are unnecessary on a street car.

"Pillowball uppermounts" are upper mounts with a spherical bearing pressed or assembled inside.

Pillowball uppermounts are completely solid and will transmit more noise and vibration to and through the chassis. They have very little performance benefit on a street car using standard tires.

OE upper mounts use a rubber bushing that have slightly more compliance and are designed to absorb noise and vibrations transmitted through the suspension.

When adjustable coilover suspensions started becoming more affordable and popular, pillowball uppermounts started to become associated with "performance" since many pillowball uppermounts had camber adjustment options. It's a big misconception many people have about adjustable coilovers, and can make a normally streetable suspension unusable with all of the additional noises and vibrations.

Many strut tower openings are not large enough to allow for a camber adjustment plate, so many times if you get pillowball uppermounts with your suspension, you wind up adding a solid piece to your suspension that has little to no realistic benefit when it comes suspension performance or tuning on a street car.

Unless you are running an aggressive suspension and are racing with extremely grippy tires on a racetrack...I personally wouldn't recommend it.
Old 05-10-06, 03:51 PM
bazop
Rookie

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but LEXSOOS, why do you give the thumbs-down to the TM's?
Old 05-10-06, 08:57 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bazop
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but LEXSOOS, why do you give the thumbs-down to the TM's?
Cuz i don't feel any performance change for better or same as before, car shakes at idle, sometimes more somtimes less, no improvment in general. If i could do it again, i would go with Denso Iridium, but thats just me. Why are you asking? wanna get them or something? Looks like you're kind of suprised, right?
Old 05-11-06, 05:31 AM
bazop
Rookie

I actually have had them for about a year now- I can't tell a difference better or worse. I was just surprised because everybody else seems to rave about them.
Old 05-11-06, 06:19 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bazop
I actually have had them for about a year now- I can't tell a difference better or worse. I was just surprised because everybody else seems to rave about them.
Yeah i know, thats why i bought them. In my personal opinion TM's are not worth buying