Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra TT brake clearance?? How bigger is the caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-06, 09:53 PM
MONSTER
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra TT brake clearance?? How bigger is the caliper?

Does anyone know how much farther does the TT caliper stick out when compared to SC300 stock caliper? I have some 18" rims with Low Disk stamped on it, and it looks like 10mm of space between stock caliper and the spokes, when installed....wonder if TT caliper can be squeezed in?

Thanks
Old 04-29-06, 08:03 AM
Minuet
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe you need around 2.75” from the face of your rotor to the back of your wheel.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=34
Old 04-29-06, 01:21 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Alot - I still have my rebuilt Supra shiny red calipers and Supra D/S rotors sitting on a book shelf collectiing dust..You need crazy rim offset to clear those calipers.. Spacers on the front wheels can screw up your steering feel and suspension.. Deep rims extending inwards towards the engine can enable you to use spacers up to a certain point.... I could not make the swap work and I tried everything..My rims are not deep enough to handle the offset...

I am still riding stock sc400 brakes with D/S rotors...I cannot use this complete Supra brake kit until I get deeper or different rims...I did test the braking between the two and there is a noticeable improvement from what I could tell... Don't know how weak the rear brakes work once the swap is compete also....

Here is a pic of rebuilt calipers, rotors, spacers, adaptors, pads, collecting dust.
Attached Thumbnails Supra TT brake clearance?? How bigger is the caliper?-hpim0388.jpg  
Old 04-30-06, 03:49 PM
onebadshot
Pole Position

If its close when you match it up to the rims, you can always grind a little off the brake. The TT brakes on my car came down about 1mm on a edge so it wouldn't rub on turns and such.
Old 04-30-06, 11:48 PM
MONSTER
Pole Position

I've measured, I have 2" from the face of the rotor to the rim spokes. I guess thats not enough for TT calipers?
Old 05-01-06, 09:33 AM
jibbby

There are very few after market rims that can clear those huge Supra calipers....2" will not clear those caliper and 1/2-3/4" spacers or adaptors will screw up your steering feel.. Unless you have very deep rims to counter the change... Finding longer wheel studs are not easy either...
Attached Thumbnails Supra TT brake clearance?? How bigger is the caliper?-hpim0389.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 05-01-06 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-01-06, 10:01 AM
MONSTER
Pole Position

Thank you bro for the photo and detailed help!!!!
Old 05-01-06, 10:04 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

I have Supra TT brakes on my SC. I have done many many measurements and now have 1mm of brake clearance. I have 41mm of clearance. I suggest having 45mm of clearance from the wheel mounting flange to the wheel spoke. You will be fine if you have 50mm. (wheel mounting flange to the wheel spoke)

I'm using custom bolt on 11mm spacers and steering feel is fine.

That picture does not include the height of the rotor hat !

Last edited by AME_VIP; 05-01-06 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-01-06, 10:31 AM
jibbby

Turrbo Teg - What size are your front rims width wise? That makes all the different in steering feel when spacing out the front wheels... I kid you not, I have tested and tested with basically stock width rims and not good with spacers or adaptors over 3/8" of an inch.... TurboTeg, do you have any pictures to share of how you did your swap...I am a little fuzzy on some of your comments.....

How do you like the 4 piston front braking power? Do you think your rear brakes are even working if your using the stock master cylinder?

onebadshot - I would be a little nervous to grind down the front of the calipers..Don't want to compromise the structual integrity of the caliper.. Besides I will mess up my lexus decal but thanks for the suggestion anyway....

Last edited by jibbby; 05-01-06 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-01-06, 10:40 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Wow that crazy that you noticed a difference. I have modded so heavily though stock is a distance memory ha

I have 19x9.5 +2, 11mm bolt on spacers, rotor hat machined 1mm. Effective 19x9.5 -8 They are Weds MID disc.

Running low offset and big spacers is the same thing. You can see I'm running a very low offset now. I had an alignment done and still drives great! Just drove it 400 miles last wednesday.

What are looking for pictures of? I have TT brakes in the rear as well. Braking feels fine with TT brakes all around. I don't feel a need to get a bigger MC.

Last edited by AME_VIP; 05-01-06 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 10:49 AM
jibbby

I am going to attempt to link my entire brake project with pics and frustrations first time linking hope it works...

[/B]http://www/lextreme.com-Lexus-Toyota V8 forum - Supra TT Big Brake Upgrade for SC400

It looks like it didn't work can anyone offer me help on how to link?
Old 05-01-06, 11:55 AM
MONSTER
Pole Position

Supra TT BBK for Lexus

Your link ^^^^

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943
Old 05-01-06, 02:55 PM
jibbby

Thanks Monster......

That is a very long read but it covers every problem I ran into on the swap for those that are curious and have time to read.. Pages 4 and 5 is when the problems started.......I am sorry but you cannot view the pictures unless you are a paid member..I forgot about that....

Turbo-teg your front rims are 9.5 wide which is one inch wider then the stock 8.5 rims that is why your spacers worked with your swap.. My rear rims are 10.5 on the rears and my fronts are 8.5... If I want this Supra swap to work to my liking I need new wider front rims... I swapped my fatter rear rims to the fronts temporarily and the brake swap and steering feel was perfect... Again rim width is big when spacing out your front wheels...However my car is lower with the Eibachs, so my ride is a little different then stock.....

Last edited by jibbby; 05-01-06 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 10:07 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

The width of the wheel is not important. If my wheels were Hi disc I would have had no need for spacers.

The wheel design, disc height, and offset are. (Offset can affect the height of the pad on certain one piece wheels such as 5Zigen FN01RC)

I'm not going to read the entire thread but the only options are
1. Sell wheels, buy wheels with better brake clearance
2. Buy the correct size spacers necessary to clear the calipers
Old 05-02-06, 12:58 PM
jibbby

3rd option is to have my existing front rims widened like I did my rears from 8.5 to 10.5..That little rim alteration costs $400 plus shipping and not to mention new Z-rated tires, but the alteration works great... This company cuts the rim and adds two inches of rim to widen...They do a complete weld or the rim and it comes out strong and sealed and looking like new.....Not many are aware that any rims can be altered in that fashion... Track worthy results...
Attached Thumbnails Supra TT brake clearance?? How bigger is the caliper?-hpim0353.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 05-02-06 at 01:01 PM.