Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

what brake kit to get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-01, 11:01 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys i need to upgrade my brake kit

what do you guys suggest
i dont want to break the bank either

please help

thanks

Old 09-15-01, 07:26 PM
JacobT

Try the Supra TT brake upgrade. Steve @ Carson Toyota has the whole set for $900. It's the best bang for the buck brake upgrade system. It comes with 4-pot calipers, 12.7" rotors and steel lines.
Old 09-16-01, 02:06 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Erick...come on man! Look at your RIDE?! You're gonna put some "pretty good" brakes on there? I think some AP Racing/Stillen 6-pot or the new 14" Brembo 4-pot setup would be fitting for a ride like yours...nothing less...
Old 09-16-01, 07:14 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Take a look at this site:

www.movit.de

They sell Porsche brakes for every car you want. They have all types, from small 322mm discs to the 380mm discs from the GT2 and they even have caremic roters.
I think the first two use 4 pot callipers, the last one uses 6 pot callipers up front.
Oh yeah, the are not cheap.
Old 09-16-01, 02:32 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray i would love to stick brembo's or AP
but that wont happen since i bought a house
and spent close to a million

money's gonna be tight for the next 8 months as its being built

So for now the Supra TT might have to do for short term

thanks

Old 09-16-01, 03:52 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had the SupraTT caliper, cross-drilled rotors, SS lines, and stock SupraTT pads installed for three days now and it is night and day over the stock gs400 brakes. Im smiling every time I touch the pedal. It gives you the impression that your driving a much lighter car especially when late braking for corners, etc.
I disassembled the calipers and had them sand blasted an re-coated with a silver colored "heat-dissapating" treatment that has been used on tanks in our military since WWII. I had the same thing done to the hat of the rotors. This is what you can have done to avoid having a big dark green caliper that reads "Supra" on it.....
If you choose to go this route, make absolutely sure you call Steve at Carson to get the set-up that JacobT and I are using. You must also specify that you want what is called a fitment kit for the 93' or newer SupraTT caliper/pads. This is the kit that includes all of the same clips that would be on the SupraTT when it rolled off of the production line.
My total investment was:
-SupraTT calipers, cross-drilled rotors, ss lines, and stock SupraTT pads=$885+$37 shipping.
-The machining and re-coating cost me $125.(this could vary greatly from city to city and shop to shop)
-I got a major hook-up on the install. $250 for the entire brake set-up AND my l-tuned shocks....heehee
Anyway, I couldnt be happier with the finished product.....Tiny
Old 09-16-01, 06:52 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

sounds good
i might go that route

im hoping the supra kit will fit with l-sportline 20" wheels
im pretty sure they will

are supra 2 or 4 piston?

and what are stock?

thanks
Old 09-17-01, 12:59 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Supra is 4 piston calipers.
Stock is 2 piston

I also have been running the supra TT brake set-up. IMO if you are not gonna do any kind of road racing like Calvin (QBranchcars), then the TT set up is more than enough. Even if you do some saturday racing, the set-up is more than adequate. The only reason I would get the AP set up is if I was racing, gonna put my car in a car show, or I have 4000 dollars to burn. I don't do any of these things and even if I did have 4000 to burn, I would spend 900 on the TT set up, then save a little more and buy an Supercharger kit.

aloha
ricky
Old 09-17-01, 02:29 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

I agree......AP racing is by far the "Pimpest" choice, but you must weigh the costs and what you are personally willing to invest...
Regardless of the wheels you own, make sure they are built to accomodate the larger caliper...(I dont know if the L-sportlines are?)
Manaray? Does the AP racing package include both the front and rear, or is it fronts only?(I have never known)
Also, what is your opinion of the TRD set-up that includes fronts and rears??? Are these thought of to be a quality kit??? Thanks, Tiny
Old 01-22-04, 11:49 AM
superskunk
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by tinygs
Ive had the SupraTT caliper, cross-drilled rotors, SS lines, and stock SupraTT pads installed for three days now and it is night and day over the stock gs400 brakes. Im smiling every time I touch the pedal. It gives you the impression that your driving a much lighter car especially when late braking for corners, etc.
I disassembled the calipers and had them sand blasted an re-coated with a silver colored "heat-dissapating" treatment that has been used on tanks in our military since WWII. I had the same thing done to the hat of the rotors. This is what you can have done to avoid having a big dark green caliper that reads "Supra" on it.....
If you choose to go this route, make absolutely sure you call Steve at Carson to get the set-up that JacobT and I are using. You must also specify that you want what is called a fitment kit for the 93' or newer SupraTT caliper/pads. This is the kit that includes all of the same clips that would be on the SupraTT when it rolled off of the production line.
My total investment was:
-SupraTT calipers, cross-drilled rotors, ss lines, and stock SupraTT pads=$885+$37 shipping.
-The machining and re-coating cost me $125.(this could vary greatly from city to city and shop to shop)
-I got a major hook-up on the install. $250 for the entire brake set-up AND my l-tuned shocks....heehee
Anyway, I couldnt be happier with the finished product.....Tiny
where did you order the kit from?
Old 01-22-04, 12:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by superskunk
where did you order the kit from?

boy this thread is like stupidly old. if you want the supra tt brakes, contact steve ganz about it (supratrd on the forum)
Old 01-23-04, 09:06 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
boy this thread is like stupidly old.

LOL, hehheh I think this is a CL record .