Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TEIN CS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 05:10 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEIN CS Questions

I just bought these like last month and the previous owner told me that he had them turned all the way to the stiffest setting? I was wondering how I make them softer?

Also, what's the life span on these TEIN's? I heard one member had them for 40k miles, but is that the most or is that the average or what?

thanks
Old 04-25-06, 05:24 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Suddenly lots of questions about coilover lifespan...
Anyway, I've had my CS for about 45k miles now with no problems of perceived loss of performance.
Check this out:
http://www.tein.com/ti/inst/rt76u.pdf

Last edited by FutureGS400; 04-25-06 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-25-06, 09:02 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

hmm i c, thanks man i heard you were the one with 40k on the car.. thanks for the link
Old 04-26-06, 07:37 AM
gau17
Driver

Originally Posted by Kharizma
I just bought these like last month and the previous owner told me that he had them turned all the way to the stiffest setting? I was wondering how I make them softer?

Also, what's the life span on these TEIN's? I heard one member had them for 40k miles, but is that the most or is that the average or what?

thanks
To make them softer, turn the adjustment know counter clockwise. I think the highest setting you can go with the CS is 16 click clockwise w/o causing damage to the shock.

As for how long they last, there is a lot of factors that come to play like how bumpy are the roads you drive on. You can drive 50K w/o any problems if you have nice smooth roads. In the other hand if you drive on bad roads you probably will get less than that becuase they are getting more abuse.

Think of them like brake pads. they all wear out differently depending how you use them. Lead foot = shorter life. Someone who slows down less agressively = longer life.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 04-26-06, 08:08 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just wish there was a way to adjust the spring firmness. the dampening is great but the car still floats since it compresses and then decompresses the spring when you go over an undulation in the road.

on my old bilstein/eibach setup - the spring was preloaded all the time so the ride was quite firm. very bmw-ish.
Old 04-26-06, 09:49 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud
i just wish there was a way to adjust the spring firmness. the dampening is great but the car still floats since it compresses and then decompresses the spring when you go over an undulation in the road.

on my old bilstein/eibach setup - the spring was preloaded all the time so the ride was quite firm. very bmw-ish.
Clifford- go to the Tein website (link above) and you will see that they seem to have other springs available as an option for the CS.
Old 04-26-06, 09:31 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i heard that TEIN CS have a lifetime warranty through TEIN? wrong?
Old 04-27-06, 04:37 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kharizma
i heard that TEIN CS have a lifetime warranty through TEIN? wrong?
I think bilsteins have a lifetime warranty, not tein.
Old 04-27-06, 04:55 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Heh, I wish Tein provided a lifetime warranty but their coverage is only 1 year. With how much they are charging for the coilovres I would think they would at least give 2-3 years.
Old 04-27-06, 05:30 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Heh, I wish Tein provided a lifetime warranty but their coverage is only 1 year. With how much they are charging for the coilovres I would think they would at least give 2-3 years.
hks hypermax performer coilovers have NO warranty...consider that .
Old 04-28-06, 07:37 AM
gau17
Driver

I found this out too about the softness. I was used to driving with the Tein Flex system and I am not use to the softness. I've had mine on the car for 3 weeks and put them up for sale. I'm going back to my old Flex system. Don't get me wrong the CS are great. Less noisy and softer, but it's not for me.

If anyone is intersted PM me. They are practically band new.
Old 04-28-06, 08:02 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by gau17
I found this out too about the softness. I was used to driving with the Tein Flex system and I am not use to the softness. I've had mine on the car for 3 weeks and put them up for sale. I'm going back to my old Flex system. Don't get me wrong the CS are great. Less noisy and softer, but it's not for me.

If anyone is intersted PM me. They are practically band new.
Gau17, how much better are the Tein CS in terms of handling compared to your stock suspension?
Old 04-28-06, 08:33 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dejacky- the only thing you gain is that you can lower the center of gravity. if you just swap out the tein cs and want to take care of the handling department, you'll have to get some sways to stiffen the chassis.

the tein CS is soft... quite possibly softer than stock but it removes that floating created by the stock shocks rebounding while you go over undulations in the freeway on sweeping curves.

if you're looking for something more sporty- i suggest the bilstein shock and eibach spring combo. make sure you cut your bump stops and it'll ride awesome. cost for that setup - approx 700 new.
Old 04-28-06, 08:47 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Warranty or not, once you get into the 30k, 40k, 50k mileage area, that is just wear and tear. I don't think it is manufacturer defects at that point. As with anything else, you eventually need to do maintenance: replace or refurb.

As for the CS softness, it is different from the Flex. When I first went from the Flex to the CS, I did not like the muted feeling either. I felt more connected to the road with the Flex. The feedback was from the metal to car connection and road noise. As time went by, I learned/realized I like the CS better. It handles much better than stock. It may not feel like it because of the ride quality retention. It is also much more quiet than the Flex. You adjust to the feedback of the CS but I think that is how a luxury sport car should feel. It is quiet yet provide enough handling. I would not fo back to the Flex.
Old 04-28-06, 08:48 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

dejacky- the only thing you gain is that you can lower the center of gravity. if you just swap out the tein cs and want to take care of the handling department, you'll have to get some sways to stiffen the chassis.

the tein CS is soft... quite possibly softer than stock but it removes that floating created by the stock shocks rebounding while you go over undulations in the freeway on sweeping curves.

if you're looking for something more sporty- i suggest the bilstein shock and eibach spring combo. make sure you cut your bump stops and it'll ride awesome. cost for that setup - approx 700 new.
you know, I've actually been considering upgrading to bilstein shocks and re-using my stock SC300 springs...i have a sc300 btw. which model of Bilstein shocks do you recommend?

Quick Reply: TEIN CS Questions