Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein CS : Changing spring rate

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 11:51 AM
gau17
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein CS : Changing spring rate

I've had the Tein CS for about 3 weeks now and I was kinda missing the stiffness of my old Flex shocks. I love the quietness of the CS. I was wondering if anyon has tried to change out the spring rate to get a slight stiffer bounce. My problem is that I have lowered the sping seat to where I have about 5 threads left. And as you guys know when you lowere the spring it decompresses it. I was thinking of changing out my front spings and go 2KG higher.

Last edited by gau17; 04-24-06 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-24-06, 01:29 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Increasing the spring rate is just going to bring you back closer to the Tein Flex you had originally. The CS shocks were valved for the lower spring rate. Putting a stiffer spring is going to leave you on the under damped side, making the car bouncy.

Did you try adjusting the CS to almost full stiff in the damping? This would be the best compensation you can do.

Sounds like you like the Flex better. Put em back on if you really like em.

I know what you mean about the CS being a tad soft on the spring rate. The new improved CS models coming out are rumored to have a litte more spring rate than before.

You might just wanna wait and see. The new models are released, but no clue when they will offer them for our model of car .
Old 04-24-06, 01:32 PM
gau17
Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Increasing the spring rate is just going to bring you back closer to the Tein Flex you had originally. The CS shocks were valved for the lower spring rate. Putting a stiffer spring is going to leave you on the under damped side, making the car bouncy.

Did you try adjusting the CS to almost full stiff in the damping? This would be the best compensation you can do.

Sounds like you like the Flex better. Put em back on if you really like em.

I know what you mean about the CS being a tad soft on the spring rate. The new improved CS models coming out are rumored to have a litte more spring rate than before.

You might just wanna wait and see. The new models are released, but no clue when they will offer them for our model of car .
Thanks for the info. I'll try the max setting to see how the ride is.
Old 04-24-06, 02:44 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gau17
I've had the Tein CS for about 3 weeks now and I was kinda missing the stiffness of my old Flex shocks. I love the quietness of the CS. I was wondering if anyon has tried to change out the spring rate to get a slight stiffer bounce. My problem is that I have lowered the sping seat to where I have about 5 threads left. And as you guys know when you lowere the spring it decompresses it. I was thinking of changing out my front spings and go 2KG higher.
I feel the same way and I miss my bilstein/eibach setup. BUT... this is a luxury car we're talking about - not some race car. With that in mind, I won't be changing back unless I get a gs4 or something.
Old 04-24-06, 03:26 PM
punch10
Driver

If you want to change out springs, call tein and ask to what spring rate the CS is valved for...
Old 04-24-06, 04:48 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Don't know what other suspension mods you have, but if you decide to do stiffer sways, chassis braces etc. then you will firm up the suspension somewhat. Not to the level of the Flex, but with the dampers firmed up and the body lean controlled better, you might find you like it! One of the advantages of coilovers is that the damper and spring are carefully matched and if you change the spring, the damping may be insufficient as already mentioned.
Mine have 45k on them and still going strong
Old 04-24-06, 06:09 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

I have shock dyno'd the CS shocks and these are relatively soft. By replacing your springs for slightly stiffer ones, you can make the ride a little stiffer, but not too much (since the CS were designed for these spring rates). The Flex shocks are much stiffer (100% stiffer ) than the CS according the Tein information on the Japan website.
Old 04-26-06, 10:53 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Arrow

After looking at the Tein website and the CS instructions, it seems as though they might offer optional springs for them. Check it out here: http://www.tein.com/ti/inst/rt76u.pdf
Old 04-26-06, 11:00 AM
gau17
Driver

Yes you can get high spring rate springs from Tein. $100.00/pair per TEIN Tech.
Old 04-26-06, 11:21 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good find Mike! I wonder which spring rates mimic the Eibach springs the most?

Here's the list of springs they offer. Scroll down to the Straight Type $50.00 in bold...http://www.tein.com/stsp.html

Last edited by cliffud; 04-26-06 at 11:32 AM.