Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

That Time Of The Year Again!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-01, 04:23 PM
Juan C. Cos

Well, besides the steering-wheel shimmy (practically fixed), the other "problem" that drive me nuts since I bought the car is brake squeal on the right front tire at COOLER temperatures. It happens when the brake is not applied, as the pad(s) just touches a small portion of the rotor: e........e.......e......e......e....e....e...e...e..e..e . Very annoying, and even embarrassing, especially at slow speeds when it chirps the loudest. I can stomp on the brakes 10 times, and a few seconds later it comes back, only to disappear after the brakes heat up after use. It doesn't happen all the time, by the way, but when it does is in the morning (when first used).
Dealer says it's normal, and nothing can be done about it, since the pads have no spring to return the pistons after the brake is released; the rotating rotors pretty much retract the pistons. Obviously something is not retracting the way it should, right?
Any cures from the pros here?

Thanks guys!

Juan Carlos
Old 09-06-01, 04:30 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a bunch of bull what the dealer said. NO BRAKES should squeak at ANY PART OF THE DAY. The only time the brake might squeak is if you get an aftermarket brake pad.

I once got an aftermarket brake pad and it squeaked like there was no tomorrow. The only other time that your brakes may sqeak is if you JUST washed your car and you got water on the rotors, it will squeak for the first few minutes of using your brakes, but once it dries up, the noise should subside.
Old 09-06-01, 05:57 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Thin layer of grease on metal contacting metal between caliper and all the way to the pad may cure it. I have not opened up the brakes, but usually there are one or two metal holders/shims behind the pads.
[No grease should come on the pad and the rotor]

Salim
Old 09-06-01, 06:23 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What you need to do is a brake clean on the front end.. The dealer or whoever does your brakes will clean and lubricate the sliders that push the pads in and lets them slide back.. When you get build up within the sliders you get the problem you are describing.. Dealer may also want to look at the brake clips on the pads too..

Hope that helps!
Old 09-06-01, 08:22 PM
dominick
Rookie

i have this exact same problem on my car. on mine it's the pad wear sensors just beginning to come in contact with the rotors. i am due, almost to the minute, for new pads, for me it's kind of a welcome reminder.

you may be in need of a brake job also. if you recently replaced the front brake pads or if your car is really really new then hmmm i dont know.

but i would suspect your pad are low, i've had this same thing three other times on my other cars and new pads and wear sensors always made it go away.

you wont have to do anything to ultimately convince the dealer that something is up because that noise will get louder to the point where they cant just dismiss it with 'oh, they all do that'.
Old 09-06-01, 10:39 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MY BRAKE SQUEAKS TOO!! It's GETTING TOO ANNOYING!!!

Sometimes cold weather sometimes hot weather, anytime they might squeak. Last time I went to the dealer and checked I had 40% left front and 70% left rear. What's going on? Everything is stock on my brake.
Old 09-07-01, 11:20 AM
scout
Driver School Candidate

Default My brake squeak too!

Every morning when I pull out of the driveway my brakes squeak on my 2001 GS430. Only happens until they get warmed up.

I've got 7k miles on my car. My wife has a RX300 and they also squeak in the morning.

Must be a Lexus thing but those squeaks are my only faults.
Old 09-08-01, 09:47 PM
Juan C. Cos

Default THANKS FOR ALL THE ANSWERS.

First of all, my car has 11K miles, pads look new, they squeak since day 1, and you could eat lunch on my hubs (have seen rain once).
Now possible solutions based on your input:
1. Something is definitely not lubricated properly from the factory, but nobody seems to know exactly how the brakes work. I'm going to order the service manual next week, see how they work, and try to fix it myself (the only dealer here is 50 miles away, and a POS too).
2.If it's a lexus thing, why don't all cars do it? My SC and LS didn't do it.
3. The squeal after a wash is normal on any car, but completely different. This is just an annoying squeak usually associated with a piece of junk. You can see the "WTH" faces of people when they see it's coming from my car.
Thanks for responding, and hope you had a great weekend!

Juan Carlos

PS. If somebody has a service manual and want to post the procedure how to lubricate whatever it has to be lubricated, feel free to do it!!