Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-06, 08:03 PM
IS-250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake

Hi,

I remember being told a couple years ago that you should always engage the parking brake when you park a car to reduce the load on a car's transmission. I was told to put the car in park, and while your foot is on the brake, press the parking brake then release your foot from the brake. I was told that the small jerk you feel when you park your car and let go of the brake is a small pin or something in the transmission which holds the car and by not engaging the parking brake, you are increasing the load on that pin. Is this true? Any reccomendations?
Old 04-07-06, 08:46 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just not sure about the new IS 6 speed. But I can tell you that what you describe has been very true in the past. Take an older GM Turbo 350/400 for example. The part you are describing is called the parking pawl and it is indeed a very small cylindrical pin. Holds the whole car on even on a steep hill. I've seen the part and at the time had to wonder how in the world it would hold a huge old 1965 Pontiac Bonneville on a hill. But without using the parking brake when you go to pull the shift lever out of park the tranny makes a horrendous clunk as you are forcing the pawl back out of the "hold" position in the trans. Not a good thing.

So.....yes, I always have the car being held in place with the parking brake and the trans being in park is my back-up. Only on a very flat surface would I not use the parking brake and only rely on the trans.

As I think about our new IS auto trans. I would guess the principle is the same as it has been for years and I'll bet it has the "pawl" just like the old days.
Old 04-07-06, 09:11 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll do this too if I am stopped or parking on an incline but on level ground, it doesn't appear to matter much. If don't get that thump when I don't use my parking brake in my [level] garage. My car is under warranty for 100k miles, so essentially if this part breaks while I own it, it will be replaced.
Old 04-07-06, 10:53 PM
antics22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexustom
I'm just not sure about the new IS 6 speed. But I can tell you that what you describe has been very true in the past. Take an older GM Turbo 350/400 for example. The part you are describing is called the parking pawl and it is indeed a very small cylindrical pin. Holds the whole car on even on a steep hill. I've seen the part and at the time had to wonder how in the world it would hold a huge old 1965 Pontiac Bonneville on a hill. But without using the parking brake when you go to pull the shift lever out of park the tranny makes a horrendous clunk as you are forcing the pawl back out of the "hold" position in the trans. Not a good thing.

So.....yes, I always have the car being held in place with the parking brake and the trans being in park is my back-up. Only on a very flat surface would I not use the parking brake and only rely on the trans.

As I think about our new IS auto trans. I would guess the principle is the same as it has been for years and I'll bet it has the "pawl" just like the old days.
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. My 06 Range Rover Sport had a recall recently for a defective parking pawl plate that could fail when parked causing the vehicle to freely roll when on a hill...

Didn't take long for me to drop that mug off at the service dept for the replacement part...
Old 04-08-06, 01:57 AM
mike714
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS-250
I was told to put the car in park, and while your foot is on the brake, press the parking brake then release your foot from the brake.
My procedure for parking an automatic on an incline:

1) bring car to stop with brakes
2) put tranny in neutral
3) set parking brake
4) release main brakes
5) let car roll slightly until the parking brake catches it (remember, tranny is in neutral)
6) put tranny in park

Now there is no stress on the parking mechanism in the tranny unless the parking brake needs adjustment and lets you car slip slightly while parked for a while, or unless it fails altogether.

Of course if the incline is steep enough and you're next to a curb, you should turn your wheels and let them roll into the curb slightly before setting the parking brake.
Old 04-08-06, 07:12 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being a tranny guy for 5+ years i can say i have never fixed any parking problems except on old chevy 350's, and 400's and one 70 somthing benz. Altho if you seen the parking paw on any of the cars you probley wouldnt trust them. All parking paws are around 2" long and .5" wide or so. And when you think they hold the whole car from rolling away. It might scare some people into never trusting it.
When i park on a steep hill i use the brake, but other then that i never do. I have never replaced a worn out or broken parking paw. It just dont happen. So inconclusion i would say its not a bad idea to use the brake but its not hurting the tranny to not use it. (except for steep hills)