Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra Struts/Springs Weak???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 01:42 AM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra Struts/Springs Weak???

Alright I have a little bit different of a question regarding the Supra spring/strut combo. It seems like this combo is very weak. This is the second combo I have run. The first combo was Tein spings/Supra struts but my rear wheels were constantly rubbing. I decided to take them off until I had the fenders rolled which would be when I eventually get the car repainted. I took that combo off and replaced them with the NA spring/strut combo because I was told (on here) that it would even out the front and rear better than the TT (the first set was TT BTW). The thing I am noticing is that the car sits lets say about 2 inches off the tire when its parked. Throw me in it and im assuming it gets a little lower (I weigh about 200) but no rubbing unless I hit dips. Now heres what gets me, throw anyone of my friends in and I am rubbing CONSTANTLY...meaning I have dropped roughly 2 inches off an extra 100lbs (my friends are skinny emo kids). Add a full tank of gas and it is almost unbearable to drive. Obviously everyones first solution is going to be roll the fenders, which of course I have planned. My main concern is that this wont correct the "weak strut syndrome". Eventually when the fenders are rolled I want to go back to being lower so now my question is this:
Are the Supra spring/strut combo or either component known to do this?
Should I perhaps get new Supra struts and try again with the Tein springs?
Should I go back to my SC struts and get some Espilars?
Has this happened to anyone else?

I mean it is so bad that if the car is parked on slightly uneven roads or driveways there is a huge gap difference from side to side.
Old 03-02-06, 03:51 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i think the question that you should ask yourself is, is what was the condition of the parts before you put them on the car? Buying used parts like those will have different wear than a set of new parts. I personally would go and either get a set of tt springs with low miles (less than 50k) and some new shocks. this should rule out bad shocks and springs while still keeping the parts that you want. Then if you still have this problem you can search out whatever the issue is in your suspension if you still are having rubbing issues
Old 03-02-06, 10:08 AM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the set thats on there now was supposed to only have like 27k on them. Id have to do a lot of digging to find out but Im almost certain thats what I was told. Also, the fact that it happened on two different sets is what worries me. Does anyone know off hand how much new Supra struts are?
Old 03-18-06, 01:29 AM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Well I think I definitely going to get new struts. I am wondering what you guys might recommend as the closest to stock ride. I was thinking of getting the Supra Bilstein shocks. I know I have had both Tokico Blues that were used in my Integra and I replaced them with Koni Yellows and the ride wasnt much better. It definitely wasnt worth the extra money. I also thought maybe I would go KYB since the OEM Supra struts are manufactured by them correct?
Old 03-18-06, 01:58 AM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leas the kyb's are adjustable. setting 1 and 2 is pretty close to stock.
Old 03-18-06, 09:56 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

The shocks more or less only provide dampening, not extra support for the car (thats the springs job). Now it might help slightly going over bumps and such since the new shock will make the car less bouncy. Either way, maybe you got springs that have been modified or something because I have no problems of that sort.....ofcourse with my stock wheels I wouldnt hit anyway.....which makes me think it very well might just be the wheels and tires you have. BTW, tein/aftermarket springs might help things even though they are lower because the stiffer spring limits downward movement.
Old 03-18-06, 12:44 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah since I went back to stock wheels I was going to put my Teins back on. Im liking the advice of the KYB. Anyone else have any suggestions...maybe now that you know I am going back to Tein S-Tech Springs.
Old 03-19-06, 05:19 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Supra Bilsteins are pretty much identical to the TT shocks, and the KYBs will share very little with the oem shocks.
Old 03-19-06, 06:24 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Dammit... I should have said this earlier, which setup will be closest to the stock Lexus springs/shocks.
Old 03-20-06, 07:22 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

only stock springs/shocks will ride like stock springs/shocks. with any performance mod you will have to give up some comfort to have a combo that sits lower since it has to have a higher spring rate to lessen the amount of bottoming out. i would look at the tein h or s tech and some adjustable shocks to match the spring rate. most comfort comes with matching the spring rate to the shocks characteristics (compression and rebound rates)
Old 03-20-06, 09:38 AM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

well i was going to use the tein s techs