Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How do you spell relief? T-O-Y-O

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-01, 12:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,643 Posts

Well I had the two front 235/40-18 Nitto Extreme ZRs replaced today with 245/40-18 Toyo Proxes T1-S tires, and the difference is night and day. I don't know if the Nittos I had were defective, but my opinion of them is that they were pieces of $#+!.

The car is MUCH smoother and quieter, has maybe an occasional '1%' vibration at 60 if any (I'll get them rebalanced one more time when I replace the rear Nittos next week).

Anyway, so far so good.

(Signature will be changed soon!)
Old 08-20-01, 02:26 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking relief

Bit, so what you're saying is, you've relieved yourself by excreting two Nittos from your front end; dare we imagine how you'll feel after you've passed two more Nittos from your rear end????

(Sorry, as a physician, I just couldn't resist.........)
Old 08-20-01, 04:09 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Good buy Bit, once you get another set for your rear wheels, you are complete
Old 08-20-01, 05:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: relief

Originally posted by mooretorque
Bit, so what you're saying is, you've relieved yourself by excreting two Nittos from your front end; dare we imagine how you'll feel after you've passed two more Nittos from your rear end????

(Sorry, as a physician, I just couldn't resist.........)
Taking too many of those experimental pills again?

Well I did say they were a POS didn't I!

Anyway, I will feel MUCH better when I have, er, 'dumped' my Nittos.
Old 08-20-01, 05:57 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Experimental pills?? We prefer the term "clinical research" (just so you'll know what those commercials mean when they say "clinically proven to.....").

And, as we say down here (well, I know you're down here, too, but it's native to me), that's a pretty big dump ya took there!!
Old 08-21-01, 12:18 PM
JacobT

Bit,

Every time you get new tires, you'll feel the same way because the soft rubber and new thick tread. The heat and UV ray will kill the tires eventually. After 6-8 months, you will get the same feeling from the Toyo's as those Nitto you dumped. Especially the high performance low profile tires, once the side wall get stiff and tread get low. The quietness and comfort are gone

That's why I'm looking for new tires all the time. Under Texas sun, no performance tire lasts more than a year for me
Old 08-21-01, 12:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by JacobT
Every time you get new tires, you'll feel the same way because the soft rubber and new thick tread. The heat and UV ray will kill the tires eventually. After 6-8 months, you will get the same feeling from the Toyo's as those Nitto you dumped. Especially the high performance low profile tires, once the side wall get stiff and tread get low. The quietness and comfort are gone

That's why I'm looking for new tires all the time. Under Texas sun, no performance tire lasts more than a year for me
I generally agree with what you're saying, but a couple of further points about my situation. I couldn't even get CLOSE to a smooth balanced ride with the Nittos EVEN WHEN they were brand new.

And the ones I just dumped only had 4K miles on them.

But I'll remember your warning there... by the way, contrary to the popular opinion around here, my impression of the stock Potenzas was VERY favorable, for 12K of perfect performance.

If these Toyos get bad, then I'll probably find a less aggressive tire. But unless Toyo's claims are all b.s., it sounds like the T1-S has some 'breakthroughs' - is that what you have?

Old 08-21-01, 01:09 PM
miko400
Driver

Post Nitto Tires

Hey, keep me posted I was also thinking about switching over to the Toyo T1-S. I have problem with my Nitto when it Rains. The Dag- gone tires just vibrate so bad. That I wish I could just let the car steer itself. Where did you order the T1- S from??
Old 08-21-01, 06:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Nitto Tires

Originally posted by miko400
Hey, keep me posted I was also thinking about switching over to the Toyo T1-S. I have problem with my Nitto when it Rains. The Dag- gone tires just vibrate so bad. That I wish I could just let the car steer itself. Where did you order the T1- S from??
You only get vibration when it rains? That's odd. Do you mean vibration at speed or when starting from stop?

If the latter, that's just wheel slip on the wet I guess.

As far as ordering them, I just got them through a local reputable tire/rim place in Atlanta. Toyos are not sold online, plus I needed to get them done quick before an upcoming trip.
Old 08-21-01, 06:57 PM
miko400
Driver

Post Nitto

Bit, only when it Rains. I'm traveling at highway speeds. I say around 65-up. Man I just want to pull over on the side of the road and ride with some else..But hey keep me posted on the Toyo T1-S tires.

I talked with some people today about the toyo tires i'm thinking about I just need to save up the money..
Old 08-22-01, 07:12 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bit, glad to hear you like your new tires but I've owned BOTH Nittos and Toyos (in various sizes) and I didn't find either to be better than the other...my Nittos that I have on my 20's work great...even when the ground is wet (well the back end burns out easier but it would do that on any tires as I have 430 and it has quite a bit of torque)

As for all these balancing problems people are having...Thank God that out of all the cars I've owned and the wheels I've owed (about 3 times more than the number of cars!), I've NEVER had balancing problems...my GS on 20's with Nittos rides smoothly from 1 MPH up to and beyond 100 MPH (so long as the road is decent)...many of my "car" buddies can't believe that the car is riding on 20's...

They just repaved part of the 101 freeway and I've did over 100 MPH just the other night (racing my friend's "slightly" modified 996/911...don't ask...) and the steering is just as steady as if I was doing only 20 MPH!

Maybe your tires were worn down oddly too?
Old 08-22-01, 04:51 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

http://www.victoriatire.com/tires.ht...=Proxes%20T1-S

Plus shipping. Bit, is this a good price??
Old 08-22-01, 06:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by zushwa
http://www.victoriatire.com/tires.ht...=Proxes%20T1-S

Plus shipping. Bit, is this a good price??
Not bad - they said 215 for 245/40-18 I think and a local place wanted 231. I paid a bit more at the place I want because I was in a hurry.

However, unless I could save HUNDREDS of dollars, I will *NEVER* fart around with tires or wheels being shipped to me again. Way too much of a headache.

Time is money too, and mine doesn't come cheap .
Old 08-24-01, 12:51 PM
PR-SC400
Driver School Candidate

Question Options...

I just bought a set of 17" GS400 rims for my SC400 but still need the tires. I was looking for possible Goodyear or Dunlop models because of a price discount I can get from them thanx to my work place. I would appreciate any suggestion on what model of these tires would be better (if any...?). What about those "Eagle F1 Super Car"?
Also I was wondering if it is recomended to use the 235/45R17Z factory specs or can it be "upgraded with this same rims?
Thank you.
Old 08-24-01, 01:07 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PR,

go for the dunlop sp5000 or 9000, very good for the $$ spend.

did not understand your meaning of "upgrade-size, or speed rating"?

william

Quick Reply: How do you spell relief? T-O-Y-O