Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 06:03 PM
UltimX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Problems

On the front drivers side of the car, my lugs rotate inside the rotor. Also, upon further inspection, I found my whole rotor moves from side to side. Is there any way the rotor is suppost to be supported to the hub of the car? I checked the front passenger side also and I found out that neither the lugs or the rotor move side to side.

Does someone have a manual that they can scan a couple pages in helping me find out what is wrong? Is the rotor actually suppost to be supported or like that? On all the cars i'v ever worked on and had, the rotor was attached to the hub in some way. I also noticed that there are holes in the front of the rotor but no place to secure the rotor into the hub. Are there places to secure the rotor to the hub on the back of the rotor/hub? Please help me figure this out as i am baffeled as to how it attaches. Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-31-06, 06:31 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UltimX
On the front drivers side of the car, my lugs rotate inside the rotor. Also, upon further inspection, I found my whole rotor moves from side to side. Is there any way the rotor is suppost to be supported to the hub of the car? I checked the front passenger side also and I found out that neither the lugs or the rotor move side to side.

Does someone have a manual that they can scan a couple pages in helping me find out what is wrong? Is the rotor actually suppost to be supported or like that? On all the cars i'v ever worked on and had, the rotor was attached to the hub in some way. I also noticed that there are holes in the front of the rotor but no place to secure the rotor into the hub. Are there places to secure the rotor to the hub on the back of the rotor/hub? Please help me figure this out as i am baffeled as to how it attaches. Thanks for all your help.
have it towed to the dealership or some kind of shop. something is really wrong with ur brakes. imo not safe to drive
Old 02-01-06, 05:37 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

The holes in the rotor you're talking about are to aid in removing the rotor (by threading a bolt, which then presses against the hub); they're supposed to be empty.

What do you mean by 'lugs rotate inside the rotor'? Do you mean the lugs are turning so as to prevent you properly torquing the lugnuts?
Old 02-01-06, 07:03 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The rotor is sandwiched between the wheel and the hub. The rotor is easily removed by loosening and rotating the brake caliper out of the way. It should slide right off with no other bolt removal. This is normal. Unless like the previous post you cannot torque down the lug nuts holding the wheel on, then something is wrong. As for the passenger side. Its most likely "frozen" on and a light tap from a mallet would break it loose.
Old 02-01-06, 11:48 AM
UltimX
Driver School Candidate

no, the rotor has slotsfor the lugs to fit in. so, when i move the lug on the hub, it makes a noise. Anyone got pics of the bracket holding the calaper? maybe thats loose, i havn't had time to look to see but i will if i have too. Is it possible to move the rotor side to side and have the calaper move with it? thanks for your help guys
Old 02-01-06, 11:58 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, can you take some pics of the condition? there shouldn't be "slots" for the lugs...there should be circular holes. Maybe the holes have been elongated on your rotor.
Old 02-02-06, 05:36 PM
UltimX
Driver School Candidate

i was thinking that the lug nut holes in the rotors where enlarged due to the rotor moving back and forth when turning. I'll try to expin this the best I can. the hole where the lugs go inside the rotor, when moving the lug nuts in a circular motion, they move back and forth. I'm guessing since the rotor isn't attached to anything at all. Now if this is correct, should I be able to move the brake rotor side to side (view facing the car)? I had a real bad noise and I know its coming from the brake area and not the upper or lower ball joints. I tightened the wheel on the hub and the noise is now at a minimal. I only hear it when I turn the wheel slowly when moving or staying stationary (parked). I searched and I saw that many other people have this problem as well. Is there anything about recalls on some lexus technical service bulletins (TSA)? Assuming that you can't move the rotor side to side when facing the front of the car, i'm guessin the bolts holding the caliper to the hub is loose? Any help would be appreciated. Does anyone know the specs on the bolts for the calipers and the backet for the caliper to the hub? Thanks
Old 02-02-06, 05:51 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm guessin the bolts holding the caliper to the hub is loose?
did you check the bolts?
Old 02-02-06, 05:57 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was thinking that the lug nut holes in the rotors where enlarged due to the rotor moving back and forth when turning. I'll try to expin this the best I can. the hole where the lugs go inside the rotor, when moving the lug nuts in a circular motion, they move back and forth. I'm guessing since the rotor isn't attached to anything at all. Now if this is correct, should I be able to move the brake rotor side to side (view facing the car)? I had a real bad noise and I know its coming from the brake area and not the upper or lower ball joints. I tightened the wheel on the hub and the noise is now at a minimal. I only hear it when I turn the wheel slowly when moving or staying stationary (parked). I searched and I saw that many other people have this problem as well. Is there anything about recalls on some lexus technical service bulletins (TSA)? Assuming that you can't move the rotor side to side when facing the front of the car, i'm guessin the bolts holding the caliper to the hub is loose? Any help would be appreciated. Does anyone know the specs on the bolts for the calipers and the backet for the caliper to the hub? Thanks

All i can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-06, 11:28 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Lug bolts are fixed on the yoke of the spindle. The rotor has large enough holes to slide on the lug bolts. [If brake caliper was not there the rotor would fall of the lug bolts]. The rotor gets sandwitched in place , when the wheel is attached and the lug nuts are tightened.It is imperitive to snug fit the wheel, ensuring the center hub of the rotor is in proper position, before lowering the jack.

Replacing, removing for turnining, the rotors is a cake. walk compared tp removing spidle nut and worrying about the race.

Salim
Old 02-03-06, 05:20 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

I would probably replace the rotor if the holes are enlarged. I dont think its a big deal since the rotor is captured by the wheel. But the other posters are correct when the wheel is off, the rotor can be moved side to side slightly. The caliper is a floating type caliper and can have some movement also. Plenty of people should be able to answer the torque specs.
Old 02-03-06, 10:51 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting..are you sure that the wheel is flush against the rotor which is flush against the hub? I t is true that you can move the rotor around alot with the wheel off. I'd take the whole assembly apart and take a gander...make sure brake caliper is on correctly, etc.
Old 02-07-06, 04:49 PM
UltimX
Driver School Candidate

chuckb: Well, in all honesty, I don't know where to check. I'v looked and they were fine.

salimshah: Well, i'm not sure what is making the noise to being with. I am lead to believe that it is the rotor could be warped, or the pads could be warped. The noise just sounds so loud and i don't know what the cause is. It sounds like it is coming from the hub/brake area though. Like a loud scraping/metal braking. Is there a way to check to see if the rotors are warped without having a dial guage?

sockfocks: the holes are enlarged on both sides of the rotor. So, i'm guessing its normal. I need to take a pic. The rotor moves more than a an inch, more like 3-4 side to side (facing the front of the car).

GS430lvr: I'm 99% sure the rotor is flush with the wheel. There is that slim chance that it isn't on, but the car was taken to a mechanic and the noise came back after I got into town.

One problem i heard was something about a spring in the brake that could need to be adjusted? I am not sure if this would cause this type of noise, because its really loud. Does anyone know how to adjust it and where it is? I'm guessing its on the inner part of the caliper where the piston goes. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 02-07-06, 04:58 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Hey...it could be the brake shield...the thin metal shield around the rotor? Mine got bent one time and was hitting the wheel and i had to bend it back so it would clear. Make sure it isnt against the rotor or the wheel. It sure did make a horrendous noise.
Old 02-08-06, 11:09 AM
UltimX
Driver School Candidate

I checked the brake shield and it sounds like it would be the cause of it because of the noise, but there arn't any scrapes on the shield or anything. Could it be the bearings and or cv? If i'm not mistaken, the cv is on the axle right? Let me know please. Thanks for your help guys.

Quick Reply: Brake Problems